Spellcrafters Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
artikid

Re: Spellcrafters Supplement

Post by artikid »

SmootRK wrote:I only recently came to notice this. I like a lot of it, although in my particular view, I think it would perhaps work better as a sort of specialty or add-on to a Magic User (or appropriate sub-class) rather than something separate... sorta like one of the quasi-classes except specific to MU.

Anyhow, it is nice. I don't know how it got by me without a good look at it.
Thanks, I've come to think along similar lines.
As I said in the thread on class proliferation I'm thinking of droping the class and merging the spells with the New spells supplement.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

artikid wrote:Thanks, I've come to think along similar lines.
As I said in the thread on class proliferation I'm thinking of droping the class and merging the spells with the New spells supplement.
If you would like to give the spells a fresh look, making sure to generalize the wording to "caster" instead of Spellcrafter and further judging the spell levels and specifics based upon the spells being available to MU directly (instead of to a niche-subclass)... then I could add them to the Spells Supplement.

I can do that stuff too, but I think it is cordial to let the author do much of that stuff. Of course, I will still likely do my own review in the editorial sense. 8-)

You can send them directly to me via PM or email my handle at gmail.com (same as my handle here, at dragonsfoot, and elsewhere) or post them in that thread when you feel like they are finished.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r3 with track changes enabled uploaded here.
Attachments
BF-Spellcrafters-r3.odt
(51.22 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Spellcrafters isn't on the Downloads page; feel free to apply the changes and put it in the first post. It doesn't even appear to be on the Showcase.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

It's below Scouts on Downloads
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

How'd I miss that?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

:D
Attachments
thatmomentwhenSolofoundit.gif
thatmomentwhenSolofoundit.gif (5.9 MiB) Viewed 5486 times
daryen

Post by daryen »

I initially skipped Spellcrafters because they already had the full complement of spells (12-12-12-12-10-10). However, while working through what seventh level spells to give them, I have decided to dive into the supplement in more detail. Doing so, I found several items that needed to be addressed. Most of these are just editing things (bring it up to standards of other supplements, rewording something that isn't clear, fixing typos, adding missing spell descriptions), but now I am running into some questions of substance I don't want to just change without input. So, here are the first set ...

1) It originally made reference to spells in New Spells that were then moved to Libram Magica. I am moving all such spells into this supplement. One example is Minor Warding. There are others. Is that OK? Also, is it OK to just blindly pull the spells from Libram Magica, or should I be concerned about power issues?

2) Spellcrafters get a +1 saving throw against effects from magic items. That's OK. However, they also impose a -1 adjustment on others when they use a magic item. That seems a bit unbalancing. I recommend that the -1 adjustment part just be outright dropped. Getting a minor bonus for themselves is fine. Forcing something on everyone else seems a big much. May I remove that?

3) They use a couple Druid spells. Should I keep the reference to the Druid supplement, or should I duplicate them here? In general, I would expect each supplement to be reasonably stand-alone, but at the same time others (like the updated New Spells Supplement) will refer to other supplements. Even so, I really do think the class supplements should be stand-alone with their only real dependency being the Core Rules.

Thanks!
daryen

Post by daryen »

Another issue:
I see there is a fourth level spell called Magic Mirror. Turns out it is the same thing as Scry. I was going to "steal" Scry from 3.5 SRD (for the most part) which makes gives various chances to be able to succeed. In fact, there is a table for the modifiers. Also, to cast a spell through the Scry only has a small chance of succeeding. Magic Mirror is just "if you know the name, it works" and any spells cast through automatically succeed. However, the description of Magic Mirror needs work as the range makes no sense, and there needs to be a little more detailing.

Also, Scry is designed to be used by any spell caster. So, the item used can be whatever is appropriate for the class (mirror or ball for M-U, holy water for Cleric, natural pool for Druid, pool of blood for Necro, etc.) Magic Mirror is basically M-U/Spellcaster only and only with a mirror.

The main question, however, is in the end, only one spell is needed. Which should I use? Where should I put it? (In New Spells or in Spellcasters?)

EDIT:
For the record, here is my spell:
Scry Range: see text
Magic-User 4 Duration: 1 minute/level
This spell allows the caster to observe and listen to another creature (and its immediate surroundings) irrespective of the distances involved. To perform scrying, the caster must have some kind of surface that the image can be viewed from. Common examples are a (non-magical) crystal ball, mirror, pool of still water, pool of still blood, or some other smooth, clear or reflective surface.
The target gets a saving throw (using modifiers in the table below) to negate the spell. If the saving throw is failed, the caster will see and hear the target and the targets immediate surroundings. If the target moves, the view will follow the target and keep the target in the center of view.
Condition Save Modifier
No knowledge +10
Secondhand knowledge +5
Firsthand knowledge 0
Personal knowledge -5
Have likeness or picture -2
Possession of garment -4
Possession of lock of hair, bit of nail, etc. -10
On a different plane -5
The following spells have a 5% chance per level of the caster to be cast through the scry: detect magic, detect evil, ESP.

Here is the LM spell:
Magic Mirror Range: 10’
Spellcrafter 4 Duration: 1 round/level
Turns a reflective surface within range into a magic mirror through which the caster can view other creatures or areas. The caster must name the area or creature. The caster and any other creatures viewing the mirror will be able to see the images, but only the caster will hear sound from the viewing. Detection and vision spells can be cast into it, allowing the caster to detect magic, see invisible, etc in the area he is viewing.
Last edited by daryen on Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Also, as a side note, a huge number of spells that were used by the Spellcrafter got moved from New Spells into Libram Magica. Assuming no other modifications, adding the spells into the Spellcrafter Suppliment will make a noticeable dent on the number of spells included in Libram Magica.

OK, there are 11 spells total from Libram Magica. Technically 12 but I'm using a different version. In addition, there are four spells from the Druid Supplement, two from the New Spells Supplement, and one from the updated Illusionist Supplement. (The one from the updated Illusionist Supplement is Dream, which is also that 12th from Libram Magica. I am using my version instead of the LM version.)

Anyway, since it draws from all over, how should those spells be handled? I assume the ones from Libram Magica just get pulled in, but what about the other seven?
Last edited by daryen on Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total.