Additional Fighting Sub-Classes

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: Additional Fighting Sub-Classes

Post by SmootRK »

Regarding fighter types, are there other fighter concepts that have not been developed yet? I can only think of a martial artist sort. Are there other fighter archetypes that have not made an appearance?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I have several fighter type in progress for AD&D but probably start twisting them for basic, and also recreate some "old/typical classes".
My list includes:
Defender: Uses shield to protect others.
Brute: Bigger and stronger than normal folks of his race but a litle short on the smart side.
Gaucho: Warrior of the Pampas (I really want a class representing my countrey :D )
Shooter: No description needed right?
Unarmed fighter.
Wu-Shia Warrior: Similar to monk/martial artist.
Commander: Inspiring leader.
Ranger, barbarian and explorer.

Note: I probably won't make every one into a class, maybe I'll use som kind of specialization (similar to your "quasi-clases" for some of them) but if they can stand as a class by itself I'll try my best.
Last edited by Dimirag on Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I look forward to seeing such stuff... particularly the Guacho. The only mounted type I know about (for BFRPG) is the Knight sub-class, which is loosely based upon Cavalier (of European origin). I am largely ignorant, knowing them only as a local variety of Cowboy.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I looked through what we have and I didn't really see a swashbuckler/duelist type fighter.. I was thinking along the line of the Three Musketeers type with a rapier or slim blade. A monk style kung fu martial artist would be cool. Another one I am unsure how to even classify would be like the one dwarf from the Drizzt series, Thibbledorf? Who uses his armor as a weapon?
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

The gladiator could double as a Duelist sort... just swap names really. The imagery says "arena fighter" but the actual mechanics would work as a Duelist. It was designed as a light armor, fast dextrous fighter, best against other human(oid) types.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Shame on me, it Gaucho, instead of guacho (guacho means something like "bastard" or "mischievous" depending on content).
My original take (for AD&D) gives them amazing riding skills, the ability to calm down spooked mounts, recognize their "value" and to tame wild ones.
In combat they use a giant knife called Facón Macho (male facon, wich is the biggest knife in the set), they get - as they level increase - more attacks, better AC (like a shield) and more damage range.
They have a hardened body as a result of living outdoors giving them a natural AC, saving bonus against natural/environmental damage and a sixth sense that allows for some kind of "bad feeling" regarding dangers.
On the other hand they have a series of limitations regarding armors* and weapons* and social behavior.

They cant' use armors or regular weapons, thats why the AC and damage increment.

I'll have to see which ones of the abilities remains and ones go away. But thats the general idea.

I just remembered another Class idea, an unarmed, unarmored fighter with bestial instincts: The savage!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Dimirag wrote:Shame on me, it Gaucho, instead of guacho (guacho means something like "bastard" or "mischievous" depending on content).
My original take (for AD&D) gives them amazing riding skills, the ability to calm down spooked mounts, recognize their "value" and to tame wild ones.
In combat they use a giant knife called Facón Macho (male facon, wich is the biggest knife in the set), they get - as they level increase - more attacks, better AC (like a shield) and more damage range.
They have a hardened body as a result of living outdoors giving them a natural AC, saving bonus against natural/environmental damage and a sixth sense that allows for some kind of "bad feeling" regarding dangers.
On the other hand they have a series of limitations regarding armors* and weapons* and social behavior.

They cant' use armors or regular weapons, thats why the AC and damage increment.

I'll have to see which ones of the abilities remains and ones go away. But thats the general idea.

I just remembered another Class idea, an unarmed, unarmored fighter with bestial instincts: The savage!
LOL, sounds like 'guacho' would make a good name for a thief sort of class.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Actually, Guachito (little guacho) is used sometimes referring to little kids that live on the streets and steal money or food.... So yes, it could be a Thief subclass hahaha
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I have updated my documents for Additional Fighting Subclasses. The first post of this thread contains the documents.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Bringing up the topic of "all these Ranger versions", I think I am going to change the name of my version. Only fair, considering there was already a "ranger" in existence, even back when I wrote mine.

So, if anyone is using my version in their game, it is getting a little facelift and name change (along with the other classes in this document getting at least another round of editorial effort). These will all remain largely intact otherwise... though I may work on a new class addition to this document (my version of Monk - seems like an appropriate addition).