Additional Fighting Sub-Classes

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Additional Fighting Sub-Classes

Post by SmootRK »

Updated 3/16/2012:

Here is the updated drafts of Additional Fighting Sub-Classes, now including an appendix for Mounted Combat and Weapon Specialization.

Contents
----------------------
Gladiator (duelist, fighter sub-class)
Knight (fighter sub-class)
Hunter (fighter sub-class, aka Ranger)
Thug (thief sub-class)
Appendix
---Mounted Combat
---Weapon Specialization (from combat options, modified text slightly)

The files can be found on the Showcase Download Page: http://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=23
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
SmootRK

Re: Additional Fighting Sub-Classes

Post by SmootRK »

I am a little surprised that there have not been any comments (good or not so good) regarding my efforts at some Tough Guy Classes. I would call them Fighter Sub-Classes, except that the Thug is technically a Thief Sub-Class.

Is there anything odd? Something that could be done differently?
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

I downloaded it but hadn't had a good chance to read it yet.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Griff

Post by Griff »

@Smoot:

I haven't had a chance to dig in deep, but a read-through at lunch looked pretty good. I've generally avoided breaking the classes down that far as I'm moving away from 3.5 and back to something simpler/streamlined, but I think your selection of fighter classes would actually be usable without being "too much." It's a fine line, because I want to keep a simple, old-school feel, but the gladiator class struck me as a good NPC-type. The others looked pretty good, too. If/when I have a bit more time, especially if I can run a couple of them against my players, I'll post some more feedback.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Griff wrote:@Smoot:

I haven't had a chance to dig in deep, but a read-through at lunch looked pretty good. I've generally avoided breaking the classes down that far as I'm moving away from 3.5 and back to something simpler/streamlined, but I think your selection of fighter classes would actually be usable without being "too much." It's a fine line, because I want to keep a simple, old-school feel, but the gladiator class struck me as a good NPC-type. The others looked pretty good, too. If/when I have a bit more time, especially if I can run a couple of them against my players, I'll post some more feedback.
I would absolutely love to hear feedback from some play-testing besides myself! Please do share when you can.

I think the fighter subclasses can really help to round out a party, especially if used in conjunction with some other materials such as Barbarian Quasi-Class (or other barbarian subclass), or Archer quasi-class. I plan to use a fighter & thief heavy campaign in the near future (low magic)... so having a variety of Fighter types (or near fighters) will help give each player a little bit different role in the game. The few magical characters in the game will be NPC's where I can pile on some extra powers beyond normal class offerings.
Griff

Post by Griff »

My wife is playing a Barbarian / Shaman character at the moment under the 3.5 and Pathfinder rules and wants to make sure that if I switch systems that she can keep the combination. The Shaman class that we're currently using fits nicely with the Barbarian and I think I can use some other info (the Cleric point-cost system) to build a decent Shaman class if nothing else is available.

My daughter has been playing a Druid which I think is no problem and my son is a regular Cleric. Kind of funny, used to be we couldn't get anyone to be the token Cleric in the party...

I'll provide some feedback over the next few weeks, I hope. I'm working on finishing out the material to use and the character conversions so they don't have to feel like they're giving up all their good loot.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Please take the time to share your Shaman class. I love alternate class offerings, and given what I shared about setting up a low-magic game, I would love to see if it fits in with that.
Griff

Post by Griff »

I'll try to follow up with the class once I finish it, but at the moment I allow the Shaman to utilize some small magicks and tricks that would normally be 0 and 1st level Magic-User and Cleric spells. There are also some additional spells that are selected based on the Shaman's connections to the animal world (through totem animals) and the spirit world (as ancestor worship and such is quite common for them). Very little in the way of offensive magick, more along the lines of ritual and incidental magick. They can also commune with spirits and, if circumstances are right, directly contact the dead. At higher level, their abilities include Raise Dead (probably in spell form). Basically, the common medicine man, village wise woman, or Voodoo (non-evil portions). I'll probably generalize things a bit as well or include some options that allow the class to be dropped over "monster" types as well.

I'll probably be working the class up over the weekend. My son is going on a trip but my wife and daughter will be here and I'm sure they'll be willing to do some testing. I'll start a new thread when I actually post a more complete version so it will be easier to find.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Griff wrote:I'll try to follow up with the class once I finish it, but at the moment I allow the Shaman to utilize some small magicks and tricks that would normally be 0 and 1st level Magic-User and Cleric spells. There are also some additional spells that are selected based on the Shaman's connections to the animal world (through totem animals) and the spirit world (as ancestor worship and such is quite common for them). Very little in the way of offensive magick, more along the lines of ritual and incidental magick. They can also commune with spirits and, if circumstances are right, directly contact the dead. At higher level, their abilities include Raise Dead (probably in spell form). Basically, the common medicine man, village wise woman, or Voodoo (non-evil portions). I'll probably generalize things a bit as well or include some options that allow the class to be dropped over "monster" types as well.

I'll probably be working the class up over the weekend. My son is going on a trip but my wife and daughter will be here and I'm sure they'll be willing to do some testing. I'll start a new thread when I actually post a more complete version so it will be easier to find.
Did you ever get a chance to write up this Shaman class? I am still wanting to see what this looks like. Perhaps even this might be made into some sort of Supplement too?!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I have done additional updates to this document, and I believe it is finished at this point. The only further changes I might do, is to fix any grammatical errors that others might find.

Solomoriah, feel free to make these files available on the downloads section.

EDIT: files moved to first post of this thread.