Druids Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Druids Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

Honestly, like some other things the 5' -> 5 ft. thing is not a big deal. It's not something I care about that much. I prefer more readable text, so the ' (a very small character) is less good than ft. or even foot/feet where appropriate. I'm good with ' in the spell header, which needs to be compact.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I had to double-check, but looks like the Style Guide follows this. ("Distance and Range") 8-)
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I did an edit pass of the Druid Supplement. Here is what I found:

Updated copyright to 2020

Double space between sentences. (I use the "BFRPG Style Guide" and "Strunk and White Style Guide", and I lost it about 30 years ago but, I did have an "Associated Press Style Guide" the latter two were text books for a Journalism course.)

Page 2 – Fourth Level Druid Spells Table
Moved ‘Tree Sanctuary’ spell to bottom of the list so the list is in alphabetic order.

Page 2 – Sixth Level Druid Spells Table
Moved ‘Reincarnate’ from 3rd to 5th cell to put the list into alphabetic order.

Page 3 – Call Lightning – Paragraph 1
Use ft or (in) in place of foot, feet or (‘) mark or inch, inches or (“). “Whatever” means that the speaker doesn’t care about a decision, “whichever” is an option that is selected.
Was:
… the caster may call down a 5 ft. wide, 30’ long vertical bolt of lightning that deals 3d6 points of electricity damage. The bolt of lightning flashes down in a vertical stroke at whatever target point the caster chooses within the spell’s range (measured from the caster's position at the time of casting).
Change to:
… the caster may call down a 5 ft wide, 30 ft long vertical bolt of lightning that deals 3d6 points of electricity damage. The bolt of lightning flashes down in a vertical stroke at whichever target point the caster chooses within the spell’s range (measured from the caster's position at the time of casting). …

Page 3 – Call Lightning – Paragraph 3
Changed to em dash (—) to en dash (–).
Was:
If the caster is outdoors and in a stormy area — a rain shower, clouds and wind, hot and cloudy conditions, or even a tornado (including a whirlwind formed by a djinni or an air elemental) — each bolt deals 3d8 points of damage instead of 3d6.
Changed to:
If the caster is outdoors and in a stormy area – a rain shower, clouds and wind, hot and cloudy conditions, or even a tornado (including a whirlwind formed by a djinni or an air elemental) – each bolt deals 3d8 points of damage instead of 3d6.

Page 3 – Commune With Nature – Paragraph 2
Use ft or (in) in place of foot, feet or (‘) mark or inch, inches or (“).
Was:
– the radius is limited to 100’ per caster level.
Changed to:
– the radius is limited to 100 ft per caster level.

Page 4 – Control Temperature, 10’ Radius – Paragraph 1
Was:
… (10’ radius sphere) …
Changed to:
… (10 ft radius sphere) …

Page 4 – Control Winds – Paragraph 1
Was:
The caster alters wind force around him or her (40’ per caster level radius cylinder 40’ high). The caster can make the wind blow in a certain direction or manner, increase its strength, or decrease its strength. The new wind direction and strength persist until the spell ends or until the caster chooses to alter it, which requires concentration. The caster may create an “eye” of calm air up to 40’ radius around him or her and may choose to limit the area of effect to any cylindrical area less than his or her full limit.
Changed to:
The caster alters wind force around him or her (40 ft per caster level radius cylinder 40 ft high). The caster can make the wind blow in a certain direction or manner, increase its strength, or decrease its strength. The new wind direction and strength persist until the spell ends or until the caster chooses to alter it, which requires concentration. The caster may create an “eye” of calm air up to 40 ft radius around him or her and may choose to limit the area of effect to any cylindrical area less than his or her full limit.

Page 4 – Detect Snares and Pits – Paragraph 3
Was:
The amount of information revealed depends on how long the druid studies a particular area.
Changed to:
The amount of information revealed depends on how long the Druid studies a particular area.

Page 4 – Detect Snares and Pits – Paragraph 5 (second bullet point)
Was:
If a hazard is outside the druid's line of sight, then the caster discern its direction but not its exact location.
Changed to:
If a hazard is outside the Druid's line of sight, then the caster discern its direction but not its exact location.

Page 4 – Detect Snares and Pits – Paragraph 7 (after list)
Was:
The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1’ of stone, 1” of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3’ of wood or dirt blocks it.
Changed to:
The spell can penetrate barriers, but 1 ft of stone, 1 in of common metal, a thin sheet of lead, or 3 ft of wood or dirt blocks it.

Page 4 – Faerie Fire – Paragraph 1
Was:
At the GM's discretion a druid underground may use roots of plants or trees if such are present.
Changed to:
At the GM's discretion a Druid underground may use roots of plants or trees if such are present.

Page 4 – Faerie Fire – Paragraph 1
Was:
A pale glow surrounds and outlines all objects including individuals within a 20’ radius from a point chosen by the caster.
Changed to:
A pale glow surrounds and outlines all objects including individuals within a 20 ft radius from a point chosen by the caster.

Page 5 – Flame Strike – Paragraph 1
Was:
(cylinder of 10' radius, 30' high)
Changed to:
(cylinder of 10 ft radius, 30 ft high)

Page 5 – Obscuring Mist – Paragraph 1
Was:
The vapor obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 2d4’.
Changed to:
The vapor obscures all sight, including darkvision, beyond 2d4 ft.

Page 5 – Plant Growth – Paragraph 1
Was:
Movement rate is reduced to a maximum of 5 ft./round, or 10 feet for Large creatures. The area must have brush and trees in it for this spell to take effect. An area up to 100 ' radius may thus be altered.
Changed to:
Movement rate is reduced to a maximum of 5 ft./round, or 10 ft for Large creatures. The area must have brush and trees in it for this spell to take effect. An area up to 100 ft radius may thus be altered.

Page 6 – Produce Flame/Cold – Paragraph 2
Was:
Alternatively, the caster can hurl the flames or cold aura up to 50 feet as a thrown weapon. When doing so, the caster must make an attack roll (with no range penalty), and on a successful hit deals the same damage as the melee attack. As soon does as the caster hurl the flames or cold aura, a new one appears in his or her hand.
Changed to:
Alternatively, the caster can hurl the flames or cold aura up to 50 ft as a thrown weapon. When doing so, the caster must make an attack roll (with no range penalty), and on a successful hit deals the same damage as the melee attack. As soon as the caster hurls the flames or cold aura, a new one appears in his or her hand.

Page 6 – Rock to Mud – Paragraph 1
Was:
… up to two 10’ cubes per caster level may be so transformed. Magical stone is not affected by this spell. The depth of the mud created cannot exceed 10 ft. A creature unable to levitate, fly, or otherwise free itself from the mud sinks until hip- or chest-deep, reducing its speed to 5 feet and causing it to suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls, saving throws, and armor class.
Changed to:
… up to two 10 ft cubes per caster level may be so transformed. Magical stone is not affected by this spell. The depth of the mud created cannot exceed 10 ft. A creature unable to levitate, fly, or otherwise free itself from the mud sinks until hip- or chest-deep, reducing its speed to 5 ft and causing it to suffer a -2 penalty to attack rolls, saving throws, and armor class.

Page 7 – Tree Sanctuary – Paragraph 1
Was:
The tree must be at least 10' tall and planted into the earth for this spell to work.
Changed to:
The tree must be at least 10 ft tall and planted into the earth for this spell to work.

Page 7 – Tree Sanctuary – Paragraph 3
Was:
The druid however loses the senses …
Changed to:
The Druid however loses the senses …

Page 7 – Warp Wood – Paragraph 1
Was:
The caster causes non-magical wood in a 20 foot radius to bend and warp, permanently destroying its straightness, form, and strength. A warped door springs open or becomes stuck; a boat or ship springs a leak; warped weapons (like bows and arrows) are useless. The caster may warp wood object(s) up to 1 foot on all sides per caster level.
Changed to:
The caster causes non-magical wood in a 20 ft radius to bend and warp, permanently destroying its straightness, form, and strength. A warped door springs open or becomes stuck; a boat or ship springs a leak; warped weapons (like bows and arrows) are useless. The caster may warp wood object(s) up to 1 ft on all sides per caster level.

Page 9 – Staff of the Woodlands – Paragraph 1
Was:
In addition is has several other abilities that do cost charges.
Changed to:
In addition it has several other abilities that do cost charges.

Page 9 – Sword of the Sylvan – Paragraph 1
Was:
This slightly curved singled edged sword (counts as a longsword/scimitar) is a +1 magic weapon under normal circumstanced, but when used outdoors in a temperate climate it becomes a +3 magic weapon.
Changed to:
This slightly curved single-edged sword (counts as a longsword/scimitar) is a +1 magic weapon under normal circumstance, but when used outdoors in a temperate climate it becomes a +3 magic weapon.

Page 10 – Making Magic Items – Paragraph 2
Was:
… and druids of 9th level and higher …
Changed to:
… and Druids of 9th level and higher …

I'm putting Release 10 in Dropbox.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

There are some suggestions for the Druid Supplement too:

Page 2 – Second Level Druid Spells Table
There is a Charm Animal spell in the Basic Fantasy Core Rules (3rd Edition Ver. 107) page 17. It is a Cleric 2 spell with a 60 foot range and other things. I would suggest using the Core Rule Spell.

Page 3 – Charm Animal
There is a Charm Animal spell in the Basic Fantasy Core Rules (3rd Edition Ver. 107) page 17. It is a Cleric 2 spell with a 60 foot range and other things. I would suggest using the Core Rule Spell.

Page 5 – Part Water – Paragraph 1
Same question as last time, is the 5 ft/caster level depth, length or cube of water?
daryen

Post by daryen »

Charm Animal was my fault. I don't know why I missed that in the Core Rules. Don't forget to UN-bold the spell name in the second level spell chart.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I put Release 11 in the Dropbox. Removed the Charm Animal and set the list so that it isn't bolded. Just wanted to make sure that Daryen was on board with the change.
daryen

Post by daryen »

AlMan wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:51 am I put Release 11 in the Dropbox. Removed the Charm Animal and set the list so that it isn't bolded. Just wanted to make sure that Daryen was on board with the change.
I am all on board with that change.

I'd give a thumbs-up, but I am too busy smacking my head against the wall for missing that ... :oops:
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Daryen, since I don't know if you have access to the Dropbox Folder I'll post the latest version of Druids here too.
Attachments
BF-Druid-Supplement-r11.odt
(126.95 KiB) Downloaded 289 times
daryen

Post by daryen »

Just wanted to say that r11 looks great. The only input I have is, when Chii or Solo formats it for inclusion on the Downloads page, could you please add back in the second picture? The file I used as the original had two pictures in it: One on the first page and one on the last page prior to the credits page. The second one is now gone. It'd be cool if it could be put back in.

Thanks!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, two things:

First, the r11 document was not in the Projects folder. I've downloaded the one Al just posted there, for my later review.

Second, choosing and including artwork is the province of the layout person, who is normally me. Public domain artwork is fine, but I rarely treat it as more than filler... and this document, properly flowed, does not need a second piece of filler, as it ends neatly at the bottom of the page. (If the art were a custom piece done for the supplement, I would of course be sure to include it if at all possible.)
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org