Druids Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Druids Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

Itlas wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:32 amHi,I would like to see rules for the Strongholds after level 9 for the new classes.
For example a Druid instead of a Temple could be required to find or create a small Sacred Grove where to host 2d8 followers (as a cleric) and the Druid could choose between human followers and animal followers.
Sorry I never replied to this before, Itlas... must not have noticed. For the record, no one is likely to write the supplementary material you have requested just because you asked. To get things done around here, you have to pitch in and do at least some of it yourself. There are no standard rules for stronghold-building/follower-gathering for any of the core classes, as far as I know, but if you or anyone wants to submit such a supplement, I'm open to the idea.

NOW... regarding the recently-uploaded Druid supplement update:

Announcing!

Druids: A Basic Fantasy Supplement, Release 5 -- August 27, 2018
Numerous minor textual revisions have been made to this version of the Druid supplement by several team members.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#druids

One of the things suggested by someone (but I can't figure out who, right now) is that the durations for Animate Natural Objects and Conjure Woodland Beings are too short, and that they should be turns rather than rounds. However, my research indicates that rounds are correct. In particular, Animate Natural Objects is a variation on Animate Object from the Core Rules, where duration is definitely in rounds.

On another note... distances. I'm seeing all of the following formats:

100'+10'/level
100 ft + 10'/level
200 ft

We need to be consistent here. The Core Rules never use "ft." for spells. Supplements shouldn't either, OR we should change the Core Rules to do it with "ft." instead of single-quotes. (But that's not happening.)

At some point, someone needs to go through the Druid and, probably, Illusionist supplements and check all the ranges and areas of effect.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Not super surprised that there are (still) some errors within the Druid Supplement. When I re-wrote the bulk of the textual material, it was one of my first delves into helping around here. And yes, the Illusionist likely has similar small errors within, as it was also (re)developed in-about the same time frames.

The original (release 1) versions were simple write-ups. Things like "use cleric combat tables" or "treat as Magic-User for most regards", and otherwise only the differences from the core classes were actually detailed. I like these much better written out as if they were full entries or pages that could be dropped right into the core rules.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I agree with filling out the details of the subclasses, so long as we don't duplicate Core Rules spells. There's just no point to that.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Here's r6 with track changes enabled.
Attachments
BF-Druid-Supplement-r6.odt
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 319 times
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I didn't realize that Chiisu had an R6 until I got to this page so I made my changes in his and updated the revision to R7. It is now in the Projects folder. I put in the changes that I found:
Page 2 – First Level Druid Spells Table
Bolded spell name in table since it is a new spell for the class.
Was:
Pass Without Trace
Changed to:
Pass Without Trace

Page 2 – Sixth Level Druid Spells Table
Bolded spell name in table since it is a new spell for the class.
Was:
Part Water
Changed to:
Part Water

Page 2 – Sixth Level Druid Spells Table
Change to spelling of spell name to match the Core Rules.
Was:
Reincarnation
Changed to:
Reincarnate

Page 3 – Call Woodland Beings – Paragraph 2
Was:
The caster may conjures one type of creature from this list, at his or her option:
Changed to:
The caster may conjure one type of creature from this list, at his or her option:

Page 5 – Pass Tree – Paragraph 1
Was:
The caster choses a general location or a specific tree. The caster must have personal knowledge of the specific tree or general area that is the target destination.
Changed to:
The caster chooses a general location or a specific tree. The caster must have personal knowledge of the specific tree or general area of the target destination.

Page 5 – Plant Growth – Paragraph 1
Was:
An area up to 100 ' radius may be thus altered.
Changed to:
An area up to 100' radius may thus be altered.

Page 5 – Produce Flame/Cold
Changed from 2nd person to 3rd person references.
Was:
Flames as bright as a torch appear in your open hand. The flames harm neither you nor your equipment. Alternatively, a bluish, cold aura may be produced, which also sheds light as bright as torch-light.
In addition to providing illumination, the flames or cold aura can be hurled or used to touch enemies. You can strike an opponent with a melee touch attack, dealing fire or cold damage respectively equal to 1d6 +1 point per caster level (maximum +5). Alternatively, you can hurl the flames or cold aura up to 120 feet as a thrown weapon. When doing so, you attack with a ranged touch attack (with no range penalty) and deal the same damage as with the melee attack. No sooner do you hurl the flames or cold aura than a new set appears in your hand. Each attack you make reduces the remaining duration by 1 minute. If an attack reduces the remaining duration to 0 minutes or less, the spell ends after the attack resolves.
Changed to:
Flames as bright as a torch appear in the caster’s open hand. The flames don’t harm the caster or his or her equipment. Alternatively, a bluish, cold aura may be produced, which also sheds light as bright as torch-light.
In addition to providing illumination, the flames or cold aura can be hurled or used to touch enemies. The caster can strike an opponent with a melee touch attack, dealing fire or cold damage respectively equal to 1d6 +1 point per caster level (maximum +5). Alternatively, the caster can hurl the flames or cold aura up to 120 feet as a thrown weapon. When doing so, the caster attacks with a ranged touch attack (with no range penalty) and deals the same damage as the melee attack. No sooner does the caster hurl the flames or cold aura than a new set appears in his or her hand. Each attack made reduces the remaining duration by 1 minute. If an attack reduces the remaining duration to 0 minutes or less, the spell ends after the attack is resolved.
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

I have a quick question about Entangle, do the roots and grass and such just randomly appear if we are within a build or can this only happen in a forested area? Thank you :)
Creativity is just a single letter away.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I believe that is left to the GM to decide; however, I would say they have to be there first.
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:23 am I believe that is left to the GM to decide; however, I would say they have to be there first.
Thank you, this helps a lot!
Creativity is just a single letter away.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Personally, I try to keep fire out of the druid's arsenal.
I typically substitute a poison based attack instead.
merias

Post by merias »

I noticed a problem with entangle. It does not have the holding effect it does in other editions, it merely slows down creatures caught in it, with a duration of 3 rounds/level. But the area of effect is very small (10'x10'), meaning most creatures won't be affected by it at all.

Here is an example - an armored Orc is caught by the spell. Even assuming he is in the very center of the spell's area of effect, he would have to move just 5' to get out if it. As per the rules, his move rate is 30', so even at the 1/4 speed indicated he can escape in one combat round, and still have a few feet of movement left to attack. This makes the variable duration pointless, since the base duration of 3 rounds at first level is already longer than anyone will be trapped.

To fix it, assuming you did not want to add the immobilizing effect on a failed save, you could increase the area of effect to 40'x40'. In our example, now the Orc would be fighting to escape for at most two rounds, and break free on the third (20' to travel at most, and a move of 7' per round). For larger creatures that suffer half movement, a move of 30' (an armored Hill Giant, say) means they struggle for one round and break free in the second round. This seems much more useful, now I can see the spell being used as a means of escaping a fight, giving PCs a round or two of head start, or allowing them to make some ranged attacks on slowed creatures.