Druids Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Druids Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

Post your comments on the Druids Supplement here.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#druids
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Re: Druids Supplement

Post by SmootRK »

A new spell (really an alternate of pre-existing one) that can be added to a new release of Druid (or into the Almanack)

Produce Cold........Range: 0 ft.
Druid 2 ...............Duration: 1 min./level

A bluish aura as bright as a torch appears in your open hand. This freezing cold aura harms neither you nor your equipment.

In addition to providing illumination, the cold aura can be hurled or used to touch enemies. You can strike an opponent with a melee touch attack, dealing cold damage equal to 1d6 +1 point per caster level (maximum +5). Alternatively, you can hurl the cold aura up to 120 feet as a thrown weapon. When doing so, you attack with a ranged touch attack (with no range penalty) and deal the same damage as with the melee attack. No sooner do you hurl the flames than a new set appears in your hand. Each attack you make reduces the remaining duration by 1 minute. If an attack reduces the remaining duration to 0 minutes or less, the spell ends after the attack resolves.

This spell does not function underwater. This spell is functionally the same as the druid spell, Produce Flame, but rather with a cold aspect.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
crazycrypt

Post by crazycrypt »

I like that, not sure when it would come in handy, but then again I've never really played a cleric.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

We have been utilizing a Druid for a couple of sessions now and I have a couple of tweaks that I would like to propose (especially for low level Druids).

1. Animal Affinity Table could use a 'less than one HD' column to cover the plethora of small/normal animals in the world.

2. Also regarding Animal Affinity, a couple of modifiers might be appropriate. Farm/Domesticated Animals are treated as half their HD (reflecting their relative manageability - making stuff like cows, ox, or even domesticated elephants much more reasonable, despite their typical HD). Likewise, a Monstrous Animal penalty might be appropriate to cover stuff like Griffins, Owlbears, Displacers, etc. as I think the Druid ought to have some sway over such creatures, but not as good as normal creatures. I am thinking something like -2 (or up to -4) on die roll.

3. Additional information regarding what exactly one gets from the results. For instance Success indicates what exactly? C is for automatic success (calmed). I assumed 'calmed' means the animal will not attack druid and/or party. Befriend on the other hand... follows/helps/protects? for how long? to what extent (to the death? until damaged?)???

Just a few details that ought to be a tad more clear. I like to be able to 'judge' without too many restraints, but a bit more ground rules would be helpful here.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I think your first two items are good ideas. Do you want to take a crack at them?

The third item, honestly, I haven't thought about. I would say a wild animal isn't going to befriend the druid more than a day at most; on the other hand, befriending a domesticated animal could well be permanent.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I will go back to the updated non-abbreviated Druid document that I previously updated (one where the class is fully written out without directly referencing Cleric back and forth). Seems that the downloads (and Dungeoneer's almanack) was never updated with that (more complete) version. After I update the table and add a little text to the explanation area, then I will submit it back to you. I think I will insert that spell (Produce Cold above in this thread) into the document while I am at it.

Anything else that might be inserted into a complete Druid document? Anyone should feel free to suggest now while I am going to get started on a minor re-write.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

updated material sent... release 3
Zargul

Post by Zargul »

Great stuff! Probably the best description of druid class I have ever read!

The new spells are balanced and suit the class well. I also appreciate that you neglected the nonsense that druids have to use wooden weapons. The best thing is the animal affinity table. With this idea you have managed brillantly to give the druid a unique ability that even though it is unigque fits perfectly into the core game mechanics. I really appreciate if new classes stick to the core system as much as possible and only change the base mechanics where absolutely necessary. You did this very well!

I really like this supplement alot. It is perfect in my opinion! I will include this one into my personal set of BF core rules.

By the way, I also like the style of the images you used.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Hey guys.. I was just looking at the Produce Flame/Cold spell and I noticed it refers to both 'Melee Touch' and 'Ranged Touch' attacks which really don't exist in BFRPG. I'm assuming this spell originally came from D20/3.5? Should we just say its a melee attack if trying to touch the opponent or a ranged attack if lobbing it at them? I know how touch attacks work in D20 but I don't think they fit with the simplicity of BFRPG.
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

dymondy2k wrote:Hey guys.. I was just looking at the Produce Flame/Cold spell and I noticed it refers to both 'Melee Touch' and 'Ranged Touch' attacks which really don't exist in BFRPG. I'm assuming this spell originally came from D20/3.5? Should we just say its a melee attack if trying to touch the opponent or a ranged attack if lobbing it at them? I know how touch attacks work in D20 but I don't think they fit with the simplicity of BFRPG.
you are right. is this still the case in the Libram Magica (in showcase area)? I am responding via iPhone, so I won't be able to into it until later.