Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Seven

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:57 am

Infected, Giant Rhinoceros Beetle

Armor Class: 18
Hit Dice: 12
No. of Attacks: 1bite or 1horn
Damage: 3d8 or 2d10
Movement: 50' (20')
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Fighter: 10
Morale: 10
Treasure Type: L
XP: 1,875

A Giant Rhinoceros Beetle is one of the largest being susceptible to the spores of the infectious mind.

An Infected Giant Rhinoceros Beetle can still charge for a +2 attack bonus, but it is too sluggish to attack twice per round. As the parasites do not affects its visual acuity, it can still see in all directions and suffers no penalty to Armor Class when attacked from behind.
Gems are often found in their abdomen.
Last edited by Seven on Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seven

Post Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:48 am

(Proper name should have been Encephallus, but I figured that wouldn't fly.)

Encephallos Titanum

Armor Class: 16
Hit Dice: 9
No. of Attacks: 1 spore spray
Damage: Special
Movement: 0
Save As: Fighter: 8
Treasure Type: A
XP: 1,075

The Encephallos Titanum, also called the Infectious Mind, is a cadaver plant that blooms once every hundred years. In the early stages of its cycle, it is a large yearly plant that grows on a stalk measuring six to nine feet with an umbrella of dark leaves at the top. Each year the plant grows and accumulate energy which is stored in its massive corm which typically weights between 200 and 300 lbs.
Whenever is has stored enough energy, instead of a stalk, it produces a five feet tall blood red flower which smells like a rotting corpse. A trumpet like appendage grows in the middle of the flower. The fragrance of the Infectious Mind attracts carrion eaters such as ants, beetles and other animals. Whenever a large prey comes in contact with the flower, the appendage shoots a cloud of spores at it, point blank. A saving throw vs Dragon Breath must be made to avoid the spores, otherwise the victim suffers hallucinations for 1d4 turns, falls comatose thereafter and rises as an infected under the control of the Infectious Mind after 1d6+8 hours.
The Infectious Mind has no intellect or ego or its own, but it is able to form a collective identity though its infected spawns. The telepathic link between the infected and the encephallos titanum can span up to twenty miles.
The hit points given are for the plants and flower but their destruction will not kill the corm which must be unearthed and burned.
Once it has bloomed, the Infectious Mind also produces 1d4 new tubers which it will want its infected spawns to bury under piles of corpses at the extremities of its telepathic range. These will become active in the next century.
Seven

Post Wed Sep 02, 2020 10:53 am

If anyone wants to edit the infected, go ahead.
I'm afraid there would be too much back and forth if I tried to follow all the good advice.

This one is basically a male Hag.

Bodach

Armor Class: 15 (13)
Hit Dice: 8
No. of Attacks: 1
Damage: By weapon + 2
Movement: 30', unarmored 40', Swimming 30'
No. Appearing: 1, Wild 1d2, Lair 1
Treasure Type: U,N; C,N in Lair
XP: 875

Bodachs looks like huge hairy goblins with green complexion. They stand up to seven feet tall. Bodachs can appear as old men, but even then they dress with rags and mismatched clothes and with several decrepit looking weapons such as spears, swords and axes. They can speak common and elvish and use the following spell-like abilities at will: Speak with Monster, Water Breathing, Ventriloquism, Clairvoyance and Darkvision.
Bodachs like to talk, taunt, tell bad jokes and tall tales. They are prone to fits of giggles. They are normally solitary but sometimes a pair of them will be encountered wandering about. On occasion, one can also be found in the lair of a bog crone.
chiisu81

Post Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:10 pm

Great entries as always 8-) I may need to collect all the infected (along with your other entries of course) into the next release before I'd do a full readover. Of course if anyone else wants to leave feedback before then that's fine too.
Fabian

Post Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:47 pm

Hi what is the status for artwork for the Awful Offal? I saw that someone was asking if it was up for grabs. I have started drawing it, but if it's already knocking around somewhere, perhaps I should draw something else.

/Fabián
Dimirag

Post Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:38 pm

I think its been like 9 months since the post asking about that monster (maybe its about to be born? :lol:)
It seems also that that person hasn't logged in since that post
I would say its free to draw
Maybe Solo and the admins can give a better answer.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:49 pm

If no one else has posted an intent to draw it, you should proceed. In the future, if you want to draw a monster, please be sure to post your intent in the appropriate thread first so we know you're doing it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Bumblepig

Post Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:52 pm

Seven wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:48 am
(Proper name should have been Encephallus, but I figured that wouldn't fly.)

Encephallos Titanum

Armor Class: 16
Hit Dice: 9
No. of Attacks: 1 spore spray
Damage: Special
Movement: 0
Treasure Type: A
XP: 1,075

The Encephallos Titanum, also called the Infectious Mind, is a cadaver plant that blooms once every hundred years. In the early stages of its cycle, it is a large yearly plant that grows on a stalk measuring six to nine feet with an umbrella of dark leaves at the top. Each year the plant grows and accumulate energy which is stored in its massive corm which typically weights between 200 and 300 lbs.
Whenever is has stored enough energy, instead of a stalk, it produces a five feet tall blood red flower which smells like a rotting corpse. A trumpet like appendage grows in the middle of the flower. The fragrance of the Infectious Mind attracts carrion eaters such as ants, beetles and other animals. Whenever a large prey comes in contact with the flower, the appendage shoots a cloud of spores at it, point blank. A saving throw vs Dragon Breath must be made to avoid the spores, otherwise the victim suffers hallucinations for 1d4 turns, falls comatose thereafter and rises as an infected under the control of the Infectious Mind after 1d6+8 hours.
The Infectious Mind has no intellect or ego or its own, but it is able to form a collective identity though its infected spawns. The telepathic link between the infected and the encephallos titanum can span up to twenty miles.
The hit points given are for the plants and flower but their destruction will not kill the corm which must be unearthed and burned.
Once it has bloomed, the Infectious Mind also produces 1d4 new tubers which it will want its infected spawns to bury under piles of corpses at the extremities of its telepathic range. These will become active in the next century.
This is a fantastic entry, very creative with lots of intriguing details. This thing could easily be at the heart of an adventure.
Does anything happen to the infected if the encephallos titanum dies?
Also, a general question... what happens if a creature with 0 movement fails its morale check? :o
Seven

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:41 am

That thing sort of wrote itself.

Good point about the infected. I would assume the network gets pulled, so they just basically hallucinate and thrash around. I'll add that to the general entry, but remember that happens after you pull the roots of the thing and it might try to fake being defeated by having the infected flee in every directions.

For the morale check, I would assume the creature would surrender and plead for mercy if it has a way of speaking (through an infected in this case) or maybe just play dead.
Seven

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:16 am

I didn't see anyone take up the Infernal, Somethingsomething Devil.

It looks more like a demon to me. Without alignments it's hard to know the difference and I'm glad we have the single Infernal type. The Egyptians divided their infernal spawns into Guardians--who stayed put and protected something, and Wanderers--who roamed and inflicted banes on the world, possibly as the results of priestly vengeance or curse. I'll go with that last one but borrow a Mesopotanian influence.

Infernal, Pazzu*

Armor Class: 15 (doubledagger)
Hit Dice: 9*
No. of Attacks: 2 claws, 2 talons, 1 bite
Damage: 1d6 claw, 1d8 talon, 1d6 bite
Movement: 40', Fly 120'
No. Appearing: 1d4
Save As: Fighter: 9
Morale: 11
Treasure Type: None
XP: 1,150

Pazzus or Wind Demons are a type of famine demons that are sometimes unleashed upon a population by an evil priest or wizard. They stand seven tall and appear as the combination of several animals; the head of a large horned animal, the upper body of an ape, the lower body of an eagle and huge bat wings. They can create storms strong enough to damage harvests and take great pleasure in destroying cultivated fields. They can cast Insect Plague, once per turn and Animate Dead at will, both as a 12th level Cleric, preferring to animate dead animals.
Pazzus can inflicts all five of their attacks while in the air and will fight on the ground, without their talons, only if their wings are damaged. They are immune to non-magic weapons, normal fire, poison and cold. They take half damage from fire.