Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Seven

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Post Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:46 am

Onocentaur

Armor Class: 17 (13)
Hit Dice: 3+3
No. of Attacks: 1 kick/1 weapon or 1 weapon
Damage: 1d4/by weapon, or by weapon
Movement: 40' (10')
No. Appearing: 3d4
Save As: Fighter 3
Morale: 10
Treasure Type: A
XP: 145

Onocentaurs, or Donkey Centaurs, are similar to Centaurs but are part human and part donkey. They always have long hair and long donkey ears. While young males are usually clean shaven, more mature males prefer to braid their beards.
They do not charge in combat and tend to use two-handed weapons such as shortbows, staves and bardiches. Whenever possible, they punctuate combat with a mule kick which they are agile enough to deliver to an opponent facing them. They favor heavy armors, often a mixture of chainmail and plate.
Onocentaurs are fond of ale and like to socialize with other woodland beings such as Satyrs.
Seven

Post Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:59 pm

Peryton*

Armor Class: 14 (doubledagger)
Hit Dice: 4* (AB+6)
No. of Attacks: 1 antler
Damage: 4d4
Movement: 40' (10') Fly 130' (10')
No. Appearing: Wild 2d4, Lair 2d6
Save As: Cleric: 5
Morale: 10 or 12
Treasure Type: D
XP: 280

Perytons are hybrid creatures similar to griffons, but in reverse. A Peryton has the head, forelegs and antlers of a stag and the wings, tail and hind legs or a large bird.
An adult stands 5 feet at the shoulder and weights at least 500 pounds. Females have green feathers and males have blue feathers. The razor sharp antler of a peryton is deep black or blackish green as if made of obsidian. These antlers never fall and both males and females have them.
Perytons live in nests on hard to reach mountain tops and sheer cliff walls. They are omnivores and mostly feed on vegetation. A female normally lays two eggs every year. Whenever ready to mate, a peryton will cast the shadow of a man and once a victim has been spotted, it will cast the shadow of that victim. A hunting peryton will fight until its death or until it has devoured the heart of its mangled victim. At that point, it will cast its own shadow again.

A peryton will dive charge a hunted target, at a +2 bonus to hit and doing double damage due to impalement on its antler. A peryton defending its nest will sometimes grab an intruder and drop them from as great a height as it can achieve.

Perytons are intelligent beings who speak their own language. They can never be made to serve as mounts, even when charmed. Due to their unnatural origin, they are completely immune to weapons that are not magical.
Bumblepig

Post Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:25 pm

Floran

Armor Class: 14
Hit Dice: 1
No. of Attacks: 1 claw or 1 weapon
Damage: 1d4 or by weapon
Movement: 40'
No. Appearing: 2d4, Wild 2d4, Lair 10d6
Save As: Fighter 1
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: None
XP: 25

Florans are humanoids with stunted features and bodies comprised of plant mass. They dwell in untamed wilderness areas.
Florans avoid outsiders, but will fight to defend their territory. In combat they favor hit-and-run tactics, using stone spears, axes and, occasionally, primitive traps. When hiding amid dense foliage they can only be detected rolling a 1 in 1d6 (1-2 for elf characters).
The average floran stands 5 feet tall, but their leaders can be up to twice that size. A group of 20 florans will be led by a 3 HD chief; a group of 50 florans will be led by a 6 HD elder. Floran lairs typically host one or more plant monster allies (favorites being the shambler or guard fern).
According to legend, there are ways for florans to ritually transform a human into a floran. (The mechanism for how this might work is left to the GM.)
Though they have no treasure, florans are reportedly delicious when sauteed or boiled in a stew.
Last edited by Bumblepig on Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:00 pm

Suggestion: "Florans"
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Bumblepig

Post Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:53 pm

Solomoriah wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:00 pm Suggestion: "Florans"
I'm fine with that suggestion, considering that I came up with "Veggie Folk" off the top of my head.
I did a quick Google Search (copyright paranoia, you know) and that term is used in something called Starbounder. I don't think it's a trademarked term, but now I'm curious if that's your point of reference? The drawings of Starbounder "florans" do match what I had in mind for the veggie folk.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:32 pm

No, just "flora" with a transformation to make it sound like a group of people. Could also be "florians" but definitely not "floridians" :D
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:39 pm

Mushroom Men (Fungoids)

Armor Class: 13
Hit Dice: 1 to 10
No. Attacks: 1
Damage:
1-2 HD: 1d4 or by weapon -1
3-5 HD: 1d6 or by weapon
6-8 HD: 1d8 or by weapon +1
9+ HD: 1d10 or by weapon +2
Move: 40'
No. Appearing: 1d6 (5d12 in lair)
Save As: F1 to F10 (as hit dice)
Morale: 1-3 HD: 7; 4-6 HD: 8; 7-8 HD: 9; 9+ HD: 10
Treasure Type: A
XP: 25 to 1,300

Mushroom Men, sometimes called Fungoids, are a race of intelligent creatures found in subterranean and sylvan environments. Their form is manlike, though most have mushroom-cap heads. Most are gray or yellowish in color, but a variety of colors have been reported.

They begin life as ordinary-looking mushrooms or toadstools, but continue to grow over the course of about a year to a height of about three feet, at which point they transform, gaining limbs and facial features. Young mushroom men (those having 1 hit die) do not yet speak and generally do not fight, though if cornered they will defend themselves. Each year a mushroom man grows roughly six inches, and every second year gains another hit die (so one will have 2 HD at 3 years of age, 3 HD at 5 years, and so on). They learn to speak their own language at the age of 2 and are considered adults at the age of 7 (at which point a mushroom man has 5 hit dice and stands about six feet tall). Mushroom Men live short lives, most dying of old age before their seventeenth year (at which point any individual still living stands a full eleven feet tall and has 10 hit dice).

Mushroom Men have superior Infravision of up to 120', and move so quietly that they surprise on 1-3 on 1d6. However, they are peace-loving beings who will almost never start a fight, though the older individuals are known to be fierce when they are forced into battle.

... This is unfinished. Needs to mention magical and/or clerical ability options, and maybe some special abilities like spore attacks.
SmootRK

Post Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:40 pm

Make them Vegans, and throw in a bunch of anti-animal propensities... only grazers allowed.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?

Find Me:
https://mewe.com/i/robertsmoot
See my shirt designs:
https://teespring.com/stores/smoot-life
Dimirag

Post Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:57 pm

Are these related to the Fungisoid existing in this FG? Are they part of the fungisoid family (meaning the old one needs a new name)?
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:21 am

Dimirag wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:57 pm Are these related to the Fungisoid existing in this FG? Are they part of the fungisoid family (meaning the old one needs a new name)?
Crap, did we already have one?

I'll take a look. Possibly merge them, or make them more distinct.