Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Bumblepig

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Post Fri Jul 24, 2020 8:03 am

Got it, thanks.
Dimirag

Post Fri Jul 24, 2020 2:33 pm

If you've changed something from a monster, I think calling it "monster name (special)" should be done while maintaining the credits as previously stated
Last edited by Dimirag on Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
chiisu81

Post Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:18 pm

If it was an "established" monster, yes (if we typically allow such a thing, I'll let Solo say). For something in the FG3, still a work-in-progress, feel free to propose changes in this thread first, and if agreed we can update/revise in the next FG3 release.
Seven

Post Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:05 am

I'd like to add a Decapus. It's an octopus variant with 10 arms that hangs in trees.
It famously appeared in B3, but I have also a 2e version.
I think it makes for a nice low level forest encounter.

What's the best way to go about this?
Dimirag

Post Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:27 am

Just post your take here
There are no hard and fast rule for converting monsters, although I recall a supplement about that, the best way is the artistically one, convert what can be converted and change what needs to be changed
If the creature is from an ogl then that info must be added to the credits, if its not openly share its out of the question and can't be used nor named, something similar could be created as long as it does not replicates any direct text or name
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:58 am

The monster mentioned should be very easy to convert, since you have accurate balanced stats already. But the name might be Product Identity, meaning we should not use it as is. And of course, you need all new descriptive text.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seven

Post Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:25 pm

I have my own tweak for the stats. The issue is mostly the name and concept.
I understand the Decapus was created by Jean Wells who died in 2012.
It was the center of the infamous "illusion of the decapus", which led to B3 being re-written by Moldvay, but I don't find the illusion power interesting. I prefer having the thing hang high and sweep down from the trees.

So, it's just a matter of finding an alternate name?
The number 10 in latin is Decem, so would Decempus work?
SmootRK

Post Sat Jul 25, 2020 2:01 pm

Seven wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:25 pm
So, it's just a matter of finding an alternate name?
The number 10 in latin is Decem, so would Decempus work?
Wonderful alternate name. Gives that reference and homage (so everyone kinda knows where it came from) while being mindful of the copyright police force.

I have done several such ports... that said, my best advice is to take just the minimalist concept of such things, and then write from scratch, trying to not reference the sources directly. This helps keep the BFRPG community clear of challenges, and has a solid side effect of giving BFRPG its very own flavor, so to say. One finds cool stuff here that is not found elsewhere, including those things that have roots elsewhere.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?

See my shirt designs: https://teespring.com/stores/smoot-life
chiisu81

Post Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:12 pm

I like that name as well.
Seven

Post Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:20 pm

Decempus

Armor Class: 15
Hit Dice: 4+4*
No. of Attacks: up to 8
Damage: 1d4/1d2/1d4/1d2/1d4/1d2/1d4/1d2+special
Movement: 30' Climb 90' (in trees)
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Fighter 4
Morale: 10
Treasure Type: V
XP: 280

The Decempus, also known as the "Tree Roper", is an invertebrate the size of a bear. It has ten tentacle like limbs attached to a rotund body. Its large yellow eyes give him a phenomenal peripheral vision. Its large maw opens on a single row of interlocking teeth. It has a rough leathery skin which often matches the color or the trees where it hangs. Often a parasitic moss will grow on top of its head which will make it ever harder to spot. It moves among trees by using two or more limbs to support itself. If trapped on the ground, it will use four limbs to walk, but could sit and attack with all its remaining limbs if hard pressed.
It normally attacks by alternating whips and grabs motions from each free limb. The whip attack does 1d4 points of damage. The grab attack only does 1d2 points of damage, but the victim finds itself bound. A bound victim has a chance to free himself each round (1+Strength bonus on a d8). A limb might be severed with 8 points of damage which do not count against the creature's hit points.
The Decempus will typically focus on a single victim, trying to score two grabs to pull it to its maw the next turn where it will be subject to 1d10 points of damage. Other bound victims will be dragged or thrown around for an automatic 1d4 points of damage.
If successful in swallowing a prey, the Decempus will try to retreat to the top of the trees where it will rest for up to one week.
The creature is known for accumulating undigested objects that have resisted a save vs wands due to the gastric acid.