Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide 3

Post by chiisu81 »

r3 uploaded to first post.
teaman

Post by teaman »

Werna wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:36 pm Hello !

Being new to the Basic Fantasy universe, I'm not sure this is the place I should post this picture, but do you think this would qualify as a Moon Troll ? This is a drawing I made based on the description provided on this forum, but since this is the first time I have ever made an illustration for an RPG, I don't know if this is the kind of creation that could match your expectations. Let me know !

Moon Troll by Erwan B mini version.jpg
This is great work!!!! I love it!!!
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

A note on the Aurochs: It mentions the Bull from FG2, but I've removed that creature, as it overlapped the Antelope entry in the Core Rules. You'll need to review that entry and revise the Aurochs to go along with it.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Ok I'll update that for r4; I've also pasted in the contents of the Monster Index and will add in the FG3 entries.
Daucuscarota

Post by Daucuscarota »

The next monster shares similarities with Shadow, but while Shadow is a monster that dwells in darkness, this monsters is that darkness and therefore harder to notice; it's more appropriate for horror or weird adventures, or for when you want to make your players paranoid.

Living Darkness*

Armor Class: 12‡
Hit Dice: 4**
No. of Attacks: 1 shroud + drain
Damage: 1d4 + special
Movement: 10'
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Magic-User: 4
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: None
XP: 320

Living Darkness is an unintelligent entity that takes up all the available space in which it appears, be it a corridor, a tunnel, a cave or a room. In open spaces it appears as a shroud of black mist or smoke that moves very slowly. In essence, it is a sentient Continual Darkness spell. When in a dungeon a magical light is active, the characters can see the light but as if shrouded by a dark veil. Mundane light doesn't work at all.

This entity is immaterial, therefore immune to common physical attacks. It can only be damaged with magic weapons or light spells. Light causes 1d8 hp damage on the first round; subsequent rounds deal no damage; Continual Light causes 1d4 damage per round, but Living Darkness is so dense that Continual Light lasts as many rounds as the caster's character level, after which it dissapears as though Dispel Magic had been cast.

Shroud: If the Living Darkness hits an opponent, the victim must save vs Magic. In a success, he loses 1d4 hp. In a failure, the victim is enveloped by the darkness, which can now be seen by others, and the victim loses 1d4 hp and 1 temporal point of a random ability. Roll 1d6: 1) Charisma, 2) Constitution, 3) Dextery, 4) Intelligence, 5) Strenght, 6) Wisdom. If the victim is reduced to 2 or less points in any ability, he collapses an cannot take any action (the game master should describe this as approrpiate). If any ability reaches 0 points, the victims dies and his body is horribly distorted. Temporal points lost are recovered in a rate of 1d4 per night of rest.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r4 uploaded to first post.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r5 uploaded to first post. Title page re-named to follow FG1&2 style, added art credit for Jeff Wrbelis, added his Great White Rex and Sabre Worm images along with placeholder entries.
Jeff Wrbelis

Post by Jeff Wrbelis »

Cool!. I take it there are a lot of critters in this guide that need some visuals?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

In an ideal world we'd have an image for every monster. ;) If you'd like to create some for FG3 that'd be awesome, but I would also encourage some for FG2, as that is content-complete and slowly lumbering to a print release candidate.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads/Basi ... -2-r33.pdf
stealth

Post by stealth »

Treasured Mimic

ARMOR CLASS: 13
HIT DICE: 3
No. of Attacks: 2 claws OR bite OR single weapon
Damage: 1d4/1d4 OR 1d6 OR by weapon
Movement: 20'
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Fighter 3
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: Type "U" See Notes Below
XP: 145

The Treasured Mimic always appears as a chest or some other container until threatened. Its true form is an 8' tall gangly grey humanoid shape, similar to a doppleganger, but with claws, and a treasure chest with a toothy mouth for a head. A successful "Search for Traps" roll will reveal that not all is as it appears, and that the treasure chest is a living creature.(Possibly a (1-2+Wisdom modifier success range) on 1d20 for non-Thieves?) It will remain nearly motionless until someone tries to open it, or it's actually threatened, such as if it were poked with a 10' pole. At this point it will either attempt to bite whoever is closest, or it will rear up to its full height of 8' and move in to strike with its claws. If it held a weapon in its chest compartment, it will pull that out and use it.

For treasure, it only holds what can be contained in its treasure chest-shaped "mouth". Roll treasure type "U". If a magic item comes up, use your best judgement for what the creature could reasonably hold. For example, it's likely to be able to hold a dagger or longsword, but a halberd or a full suit of armor is unlikely.

Due to its alien nature, the treasured mimic is immune to sleep, charm, and hold magics, similar to an undead. It is not undead however, and appears to bleed and have stringy minute internal organs. Treasured mimics are normally found indoors in places that are not often traveled. They have no known method of reproduction, and seem to be carnivorous, chewing their prey up into small pieces and slowly digesting them inside their mouths, which when inert, fills part-way with bubbling digestive acids.