Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide 3

Post by Solomoriah »

Is there a reason you can't just call it a Time Spider? After all, we have Phase Spiders...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Daucuscarota

Post by Daucuscarota »

Well, in Spanish there is a little difference between "araña del tiempo" and "araña temporal"; the former can be better translated as "time spider". In Spanish, it can be understood as having anything to do with time, like manipulating time or anything; whereas the later, better translated as "temporal spider", in Spanish can be understood as something that lasts for a time only. "Time" is wider, "temporal" is more specific.

I don't know, maybe in English this difference is lost or becomes irrelevant. If you think "time spider" covers the concept right, I can change it, no problem.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Yeah, I think it is one of those things lost in translation. "Temporary" in English implies that the spider isn't a spider all the time, rather than that it isn't present all the time.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Some good entries so far! Still gonna wait quite a bit longer before putting these into R2, but keep those ideas coming! 8-)
Daucuscarota

Post by Daucuscarota »

I edited something in the description of the xolotl. I wrote "god's skull for a head" for it was "dog's skull for a head". Now it is corrected.

Xolotl*

Armor Class: 16
Hit Dice: 6*
No. of Attacks: 2 claws or 1 bite+disease
Damage: 1d4/1d4 or 1d6+disease
Movement: 50'
No. Appearing: 1d6
Save As: Magic-User: 6
Morale: 12 (9)
Treasure Type: Special
XP: 555 (500+55)

Xolotl (plural xolos) are humanoid skeletons with a dog's skull for a head, a little shorter than an adult human being. They are thought to be the breed of the god Xolotl ('the animal'), who, according to the legends, refused to die when all the gods sacrificed themselves for the newly created sun. They dwell in underground tunnels that people consider to be passages to Mictlan (the underworld).

Xolos are a combinations of instinct and intelligence. When encountered, the GM must make a morale check; roll 2d6 and see the results:

2-6: They are aggressive and attack immediatly
7-9: They are indifferent and ignore the PCs
10-12: They are friendly and might join the group or help them in somehow

If bitten by a xolotl, a character must save vs posion or catches a disease that prevents normal and magical healing; a cure disease spell must be cast at the diseased before he can regain any hit points. If the victim has not been cured before 1d4 + his CON modifier days (minimum 1 day), he dies the next time he goes to sleep (and perhaps his souls is sent to Mictlan).

When a group of xolos is defeated, there is a 15% chance of finding "the fire of wisdom", a red burning fire the size or a marble that doesn't cause any harm; the bearer is granted a bonus of +1 to any roll involving WIS.
Attachments
Reference picture, from https://www.ancient.eu/
Reference picture, from https://www.ancient.eu/
xolotl.jpg (144.89 KiB) Viewed 7007 times
Last edited by Daucuscarota on Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Daucuscarota

Post by Daucuscarota »

Here's another monster

Snake, Vampire*

Armor Class: 13†
Hit Dice: 2**
Attacks: 1 bite
Damage: 1d3+Energy Drain (1 level)
Movement: 20' Fly 60'
No. Appearing: 1d3, Wild 1d6, Lair 2d4+4
Save As: Fighter 2
Morale: 7
Treasure: None
XP: 125

This otherwise normal-looking snake has membranous wings, like a bat or a dragon. It's not poisonous but it can drain blood. Whenever it is possible, it will attack any female character before others. It moves clumsily on the ground, but it's agile in flight.

Energy Drain: The vampire snake's bite causes 1d3 damage plus a "negative level" (cumulative); the snake gains the same ammount of HP it inflicted on its victim.

The vampire snake can only be damaged with an obsidian blade (dagger, knife, sword, axe). It doesn't need to be a magical weapon, only made of obsidian*. And it can be driven away with amber jewelry (like a crucifix vs. a vampire). Finally, it can transform into a mist cloud which cannot be harmed but moves at will.

*Obsidian weapons replace silver weapons in my game, which takes inspirations from Mexican pre-Hispanic myths and legends. In a regular game, it should be a silver or magical weapon, as the BFRPG Core Rules state on p. 54.
Attachments
(Black obsidian dagger)
(Black obsidian dagger)
arma-de-obsidiana-mesoamerica-foro-de-minerales.jpg (25.98 KiB) Viewed 6982 times
(Reference artwork by Guillermo Ceniceros)
(Reference artwork by Guillermo Ceniceros)
Vampire snake.jpg (176.53 KiB) Viewed 6982 times
Last edited by Daucuscarota on Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Werna

Post by Werna »

Hello !

Being new to the Basic Fantasy universe, I'm not sure this is the place I should post this picture, but do you think this would qualify as a Moon Troll ? This is a drawing I made based on the description provided on this forum, but since this is the first time I have ever made an illustration for an RPG, I don't know if this is the kind of creation that could match your expectations. Let me know !
Moon Troll
Moon Troll
Moon Troll by Erwan B mini version.jpg (9.04 MiB) Viewed 6962 times
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I don't know the moon troll entry, but I like the image a lot!
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Daucuscarota

Post by Daucuscarota »

SmootRK wrote:I don't know the moon troll entry, but I like the image a lot!
It's right here.
Werna wrote:do you think this would qualify as a Moon Troll?
I think is does. :mrgreen:
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Wow, that's a really neat image, a very unique style which I think complements an OSR RPG very well! I'm getting ready to put together r2 for Field Guide 3. I'd like to go ahead and put that image in for the moon troll. Please PM me how you'd like to be credited.

Daucuscarota, please also PM me how you'd like to be credited. Thanks!