Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Bumblepig

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Post by Bumblepig »

Ward Pixie

Armor Class: 17
Hit Dice: 1*
No. of Attacks: 2 claws
Damage: 1d4/1d4 + Special
Movement: 30' Fly 60'
No. Appearing: 2d4
Save As: Magic-User: 4 (with Elf bonuses)
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: None
XP: 37

Ward pixies are small winged fairies charged with guarding a stone, grove of elder trees, fungal mass, or other natural object important to the Fairy Court. They appear as diminutive humanoid skeletons, glossy black in color with razor-sharp claws and moth wings.
When a ward pixie strikes a blow there is a 1 in 4 chance that a pinch of ash-like pixie dust will brush off on the target. The target must save vs. Death Ray or immediately despair and attempt suicide. For the next 5 rounds, unless restrained the victim will attempt to do the maximum bodily harm to him or herself.
Last edited by Bumblepig on Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Cicada, Giant

Armor Class: 17
Hit Dice: 4*
No. of Attacks: 1 bite or Special
Damage: 1d6 or Special
Movement: 30' Fly 60'
No. Appearing: 1d4
Save As: Fighter: 5
Morale: 8
Treasure Type: None
XP: 280

Giant cicadas are peaceful, horse-sized insects concerned only with eating, mating, and vibrating their exoskeleton to “sing". The purpose of this singing is to attract more mates. Facing the prospect of combat, a cicada will fly away if possible. The cicada will only attack when escape is not an option.
Cicada singing is a normal activity, not an attack per se. Cicadas are usually singing 50% of the time.
Anyone within 20 feet of a singing giant cicada must make a save vs. Paralysis or take 1d4 damage to internal organs and suffer complete hearing loss for 10 minutes. The save must be re-made each round the person is within the 20 feet range. For anyone failing the save three times in a row, the hearing loss becomes permanent.
Ear plugs prevent hearing loss, but offer no protection against the internal damage.
Last edited by Bumblepig on Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bumblepig

Post by Bumblepig »

Dragon, Cow

Armor Class: 14
Hit Dice: 7*
No. of Attacks: 1 gore or breath
Damage: 2d8 or breath
Movement: 30' Fly 80'
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Fighter: 7
Morale: 8
Treasure Type: H
XP: 735

Cow dragons are a very rare species of mammalian dragon. They resemble enormous cattle with giant batlike wings. Instead of scales, the cow dragon has a tough hide, usually colored white with black spots.
The cow dragon attacks by goring with its giant horns or by exhaling scalding hot milk in a 60-foot cone. It can use its breath weapon seven times per day, but no more than once every other round.
The breath weapon of a cow dragon does 7d8 points of damage. Victims may make a save vs. Dragon Breath for half damage.
Cow dragons are not aggressive unless one enters their territory.
Cheese made from curdled Cow Dragon milk is extremely rare and valuable. Any experienced cheesemaker can render cow dragon cheese from cow dragon milk, provided it is made within 6 hours of leaving the cow dragon's body.
Each bite of cow dragon cheese yields one of the following randomly-determined (d6) results:
1. The next "to hit" roll by the eater should be considered a natural 20
2. Serious diarrhea
3. Permanent ability score (randomly determined) gain of 1
4. Permanent ability score (randomly determined) loss of 1
5. Poison (save vs. Poison or die)
6. Eater gains 1 Wish
Cow dragon cheese will retain its magical effects for 4 weeks after creation.
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

My first attempt at monster conversion I needed for a water encounter. A search didn't find this creature previously stated here it seemed.

Chuhl

Armor Class: 22
Hit Dice: 11*
No. of Attacks: 2 claws, constrict
Damage: 2d6+5 / constrict 3d6+5 / paralysis
Movement: 30' swim 20'
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Fighter: 7
Morale: 10
Treasure Type: C
XP: 1670

This horrid looking 8ft long abomination looks like a cross between a serpent, a crab and an insect. It weighs 650lbs and are not particularly fast in or out of the water. It prefers to lie in ambush in shallow waters where it can easily snatch prey to devour. It is an intelligent creature, able to speak Common but enjoys the taste of other intelligent humanoid creatures the most.

Chuuls will wait in ambush submerged in murky waters, and attack with surprise on a 1-4 on a d6. It will typically grab with its claws, then constrict, then pass the victim to its paralytic tentacles. Relying on it's chitinous shell for protection, It will use it's claws to devastating effect drawing in two victims each round as it literally mows down opponents, snatching, constricting and leaving them to drop from paralysis or death in it's wake to return after the fight and devour them. It favours dragging victims into the water when possible, drowning them via constriction and/or paralysis.

If a victim is successfully attacked for 2d6+5 by a claw they must make a save vs. deathray or be grappled. On subsequent turns the chuul may constrict a grappled victim for 3d6+5 damage. Alternatively, the chuul may instead pass a grappled victim to it's hideous tentacled maw causing the victim to make a save vs. paralysis or be paralyzed for 6 rounds. Once paralysed (or constricted to death) the chuul will drop the victim and then move on to the next target.

*** NOTE: Taken from d20srd.org. All text rewritten and change to no longer resemble the original text.
Last edited by CptClyde on Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Just curious. What is this converted from?
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

From d20srd.org site. Not sure if that is okay. If it is all wrong I can delete or whatever. Feel free to change correct as needed as well.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

As long as its either an "original" creation or an OGL there shouldn't be any problem
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
CptClyde

Post by CptClyde »

That last paragraph is my interpreted combat conversion into BFRPG. I approximated some if the stats such as "saves as" and "treasure" type. Feel free to correct anything as i have admittedly no idea what I'm doing when it comes to "official" BFRPG conversions. Just saw chuul was missing and thought I'd contribute.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

There is no official conversion rule, we go more by it as an art than a hard science, as long as one does not use anything copyrighted and the end product is BFRPG follow your heart
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

If you copied any text, we'll need to get the copyright info from their OGL for ours.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org