Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Seven

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Post by Seven »

I'm not sure about "proudheart", "staleborn" and the like.
Wouldn't it better to just give them a functional name like bodyguard, shaman, protector, tracker, goon, champion, etc?

Bodyguards protect the ruler. Champions compete against other champions in one-on-one challenges, etc. I have no idea what a staleborn does? Play World of Warcraft?
Pirate GM13

Post by Pirate GM13 »

Seven wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:59 am I'm not sure about "proudheart", "staleborn" and the like.
Wouldn't it better to just give them a functional name like bodyguard, shaman, protector, tracker, goon, champion, etc?

Bodyguards protect the ruler. Champions compete against other champions in one-on-one challenges, etc. I have no idea what a staleborn does? Play World of Warcraft?
I thought it would be nice to have some variety and some very poorly thought out names but sure I can change it :lol:
And maybe a staleborn could be the lead role player instead :lol:
Is it the dice against you or you against the dice?
Seven

Post by Seven »

Variety is nice but clarity is better.
Players don't see what the monsters are called so variety should be in their appearances, behaviours, etc...
Typically very little lore, ecology and socio-political info should be given.
That's up to the DM to work out, to fit his world.
Things like Gnolls often keeping Hyenas is something that can be included (but in this case, it isn't).
JimmyMike

Post by JimmyMike »

I was just getting ready to suggest you give the more common names followed by the “flavor name”, when I saw that you had already edited your post to do just that. I personally think a little bit of background is interesting and helpful, so long as one doesn’t go crazy spelling out every minute possibility, variation, or detail.
Seven

Post by Seven »

I like having alternate names for monsters, but weird titles for monster functions are less useful because only the monster themselves would know about them. Also, some of these names could be copyrighted since they already exist in known intellectual properties (videogames).

It's fine to use ideas, concept, stories, etc but you have to be careful with literal names, especially the ones found only in one place.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Ramfrog
Armor Class: 17
Hit Dice: 1hp*
No.of Attacks: 1 ramming
Damage: 1d4+1
Movement: 10', jumping 30'
No. Appearing: Wild 2d4, Lair 3d8
Save As: Fighter 1
Morale: 7
Treasure Type: None
XP: 13

Ramfrogs are seemingly normal frogs except for 2 big ram-like horns on their heads, they tend to be inoffensive unless provoke or when their lair is invaded.
Ramfrogs have supernaturally strong hind legs being able to execute amazing jumps and can also propel against opponents up to 90' away in order to headbutt them.
Ramfrog by Martin Serena - Mini.jpg
Ramfrog by Martin Serena - Mini.jpg (113.79 KiB) Viewed 3220 times
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

That's a great creature and illustration 8-)
I appreciate the other recent entries getting some feedback and adjustments. The next release is in the near future.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Seven

Post by Seven »

Missed it earlier, but I love the ramfrogs.
Seven

Post by Seven »

I think Aghlorv and Barrode should probably have lair numbers or explanations why one wouldn't find more of them in their lair than in the wild.

Also, for Barrode, "in large groups" should be replaced with a fixed number, like "in groups of 12 or more". Same for "especially large groups".