Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Post by Solomoriah »

Duh. Read the volume number instead of the release...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

Hey, so I started to make a stat block for the Giant Hag when I realised the base game doesn’t actually have a Hag of its own. So here’s the stats for that, let me know what you think :)

Hag

Armor Class: 15
Hit Dice: 6*
No. of Attacks: 2 claws/Hex
Damage: 2d6/2d6/Special
Movement: 40'
No. Appearing: 1
Save As: Cleric: 6
Morale: 8
Treasure Type: D
XP: 555

Hags are creatures of darkness that most peasants wish were but myth, a bedtime story told to children that do not behave. Unfortunately, these powerful beings are very real. In appearance, hags usually manifest as old, age worn females of any given race, though mostly human. There other traits depending on where the hag is found, be it a staff made of bones and old oak for those that are found in the forest, or a coat made from several bears if this creature lives in a cold environment.

Fey in origin, hags are manifestations of misdeeds within any given place, be it a forest, a swamp or even sometimes an urban setting where they draw their power from the suffering of others. As such, it is not unreasonable to assume that Hags have an investment in causing more mayhem and carnage wherever they live to become even more powerful.

Hags have a special ability which they can use on any creature within 20 feet of them. The target must save versus Spell. Upon failure, the DM rolls a d6 and consults the table below:

1 - The target is charmed.
2 - Target’s movement is reduced by half.
3 - The target will suffer 2 HP of damage for 1d6 turns.
4 - The target is stunned for one round.
5 - Roll a 1d6, referring to the order of ability scores. That ability scores becomes 5 for 1d4 rounds.
6 - The target is confused. It will attack itself next round.
Creativity is just a single letter away.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Page 65 of Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 1 has a Sea Hag.
TrickyNikki

Post by TrickyNikki »

AlMan, Yeah you are right, but it's not a regular Witch/hag, it's a creature that is kind of the "alternative" version. Sort of like The different types of Trolls in the Field Guides. I think a regular Hag would be a nice addition :) Or do you disagree?
Creativity is just a single letter away.
Cabbage

Post by Cabbage »

Good old Green Hag is great to have thanks for posting.
Seven

Post by Seven »

I understand that many sources have added their original flavouring, but the sea hag, was the original hag.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Seven wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:35 amI understand that many sources have added their original flavouring, but the sea hag, was the original hag.
In terms of appearance in a game, probably; however, I don't think there's adequate evidence as to when the various types of hag entered mythology.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seven

Post by Seven »

Here's my take on the classical chimera.

Chimera, lesser
Armor Class: 14
Hit Dice: 7**+4
No. of Attacks: 2 claws, 1 bite, 1 bite + poison, one fireball
Damage: 1d6/1d6/1d10/1d6/3d4
Movement: 50'
Save as: Fighter 7
No. Appearing: 1d2, wild 1d2, Lair 1d2.
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: D
XP: 800

Like its other variant, the lesser chimera is a magical beast created by combining 3 other creatures. It has the body of a lion, but the head of a goat sprouts from its back and its tail ends with the head of a snake. The lesser chimera is always female and although it has a mane, it is not a full one as the ears of the creature are clearly visible. In combat, on the first round and every odd round thereafter, the goat head will shout a ball of flames that will automatically hit one opponent for 3d4 points of damage, a successful saving throw against Dragon Breath will halves this damage. The tail is long enough for a full frontal attack and the beast will appear to kneel when it does so. The bite of the snake head will cause 1d6 damage and those bitten must save vs poison or suffer instant paralysis and eventually death.

The lesser Chimera is about 9 feet long and weights about 800 pounds.
They do not speak but roar, bleat and hiss cacophonously.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Some comments on the aurochs, bull, antelope thing from earlier in the thread.

I think it's fine that antelope covers most horned ruminants, however, I think it still could use some nuances on attack patterns. All of these things can trample a prone opponent, (4X1d4, maybe). Some of these can do more than butt. A bull can gore and hurl an opponent. Charge should probably do double damage.

Also, the aurochs probably needs a bit of extra description since it's been extinct for over 300 years and nobody knows exactly what it looked like. A big dark longhorn?

Finally, it would help if the index also had the alternative names, bull, moose, aurochs, etc.
Seven

Post by Seven »

TrickyNikki wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:27 pm AlMan, Yeah you are right, but it's not a regular Witch/hag, it's a creature that is kind of the "alternative" version. Sort of like The different types of Trolls in the Field Guides. I think a regular Hag would be a nice addition :) Or do you disagree?
I think there was some discussions regarding the "hag" name a few years ago which lead to the bog hag being renamed bog crone.

I just throw that out there for consistency. :|