Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Post by Solomoriah »

... okay, interesting. They have a special attack, but are less "general" in the sense that they only come in one size. The existing monster has some additional flavor text also. I can see merging them; in fact, I can see making the existing Fungisoid into the first stage of life of my Fungoid, since the existing monster only comes in 1 HD while mine scales up to 10.

Teaman, I see you are credited with the Fungisoid. Are you cool with me rolling them up together?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
teaman

Post by teaman »

Solomoriah wrote: Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:30 am ... okay, interesting. They have a special attack, but are less "general" in the sense that they only come in one size. The existing monster has some additional flavor text also. I can see merging them; in fact, I can see making the existing Fungisoid into the first stage of life of my Fungoid, since the existing monster only comes in 1 HD while mine scales up to 10.

Teaman, I see you are credited with the Fungisoid. Are you cool with me rolling them up together?
Sure, combine them as you like. Also, there was an illustration to go with them (I think the illustration is already in FG3).

Just don't fry them in butter, they hate that.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Seven

Post by Seven »

Treant, Undead

Armor Class: 20
Hit Dice: 10
No. of Attacks: 2 fists
Damage: 2d6/2d6
Movement: 20'
No. Appearing: Wild 1d6, Lair 1d6
Save As: Fighter 10
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: C
XP: 1,300

Undead Treants look like dead trees until they animate. They stand about 30 feet tall and weight about 3,000 pounds.

Undead Treants are similar to skeleton and zombies and are mindless. They cannot animate trees. They feed on the blood of those they kill after which they bury the corpses in shallow graves as a mechanism to prevent their detection. Any treasure they possess are therefore buried with the remains of their victims.

They are not subject to charm and control spells but can be turned as a ghost by a cleric.
Seven

Post by Seven »

There are elf dogs (Cu Sidhe) but not elf cats yet.

Cat Sith

Armor Class: 15
Hit Dice: 1+2
No. of Attacks: 2 claws, 1 bite
Damage: 1d2/1d2/1d3
Movement: 40'
No. Appearing: 1, Wild 1d2, Lair 1d6
Save As: Magic-User 1
Morale: 8
Treasure Type: None
XP: 25

A Cat Sith or Cat Sidhe, is a large elven cat as big as a dog. They are black with a white half-moon on their chest.
All Cat Sith are intelligent beings with their own language and many of them also speak the common language of their area, which is often the elven tongue. Some of them have been known to live in a house where there is no children where they don't consider themselves to be pets but rather advisers.
They refrain from battle against stronger creatures. They can always move without sound and have the ability to become invisible at will, entirely or partially. They are as long lived as elves.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Twilight Hound

Armor Class: 17
Hit Dice: 5* to 9*
No. of Attacks: 2 bites or 1 bite + poison
Damage: 1d10/1d10 or 1d4 + poison
No. Appearing: 1, Wild 1d2, Lair 1d6
Save As: Fighter 5 to 9 (same as Hit Dice)
Morale: 12
Treasure Type: C
XP: 405, 555, 735, 945 or 1,150

A Twilight Hound, also known as Orthrus, is a large two-headed canine from another plane of existence brought over to act as guardian of a place or a treasure. It has a serpentine tail that might not get noticed at first. Whenever the twilight hound is mortally wounded, the snake tail will bite the nearest creature viciously, the victim must save vs. poison or die, after which the hound will dissolve into nothing as it returns to its native plane.
It is said that one of the head can see invisible objects and beings and that the other head can never be blinded. While in this world, a twilight hound requires no nourishment and never sleeps, as if unaffected by the passage of time.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r16 has been uploaded. I've added its Showcase link to the first post, here as well:
https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=184
Seven

Post by Seven »

Barkgheist

Armor Class: 14 (dagger)
Hit Dice: 5**
No. of Attacks: 1 bite
Damage: 1d8 + paralysis
No. Appearing: 1, Lair 1
Save As: Fighter 5
Morale: 9
Treasure Type: E
XP: 450

A Barkgheist looks like a large black dog with fiery red eyes, but is actually the spirit of a person killed by a dog who is haunting the site of his death.

A barkgheist can turn invisible at-will but when doing so will produce a rattling chain noise as it moves and leaves no traces. It is a cunning creature, and will only attack when it senses favorable odds or to protect its treasure, which is usually in a hidden location it knew from its former life. It will hunt for isolated creatures it can kill and rob to add to its hoard.

The bite of a barkgheist paralyses as the touch of a ghoul, and silver or magical weapons are required to inflict damage on the fiend. It can be Turned by a Cleric as a wraith. It is unable to enter a dwelling if its owner is within, but can otherwise open a door as if using a knock spell. It cannot cross a running river, but it can walk over a bridge.

A barkgheist is a solitary creature and it is believed that two barkgheists in the same town would seek each other out and fight until death.
Last edited by Seven on Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 6 times in total.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

There is a barghest in FG1.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I like it, so hopefully we can just get creative with the name and keep this around. What is the significance of the (dagger) in the Armor Class?
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Seven

Post by Seven »

Argh. How did I miss that. How about Burhghest? Literally, town ghost?

Dagger means silver or magic weapon needed.