Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: Basic Fantasy Field Guide Volume 3

Post Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:50 am

Seven wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:46 am As for joke monsters, I do like the Rakun.
I don't really consider this a joke monster, albeit it does derive much inspiration from a Marvel source, so I can understand the response jibe.

My campaign has a somewhat North American inspiration to it (with dash of ice-age remnants), so you see where much of the creatures have certain hallmarks of the region. With that warped North American vibe, you get much of the bears, Elchman (moose-headed Minotaur sorts), Gilla, Sasquatch, Tusker (walrus/dwarf sort of humanoids with a Inuit tilt), etc. Rakun were simply an idea to perhaps replace the traditional "halfling/hobbit" sort of small race.

It was when the addition of several other contributors started to overshadow my own contributions, that the focus on that semi-Americana tilt begins to diminish to most observers.

But I digress, I truly understand that others have differing inclinations and preferences. I believe Solo's idea for a slightly more farcical group of creatures is a wonderful way to allow such creatures and gives individual GM's the ability to include or not include based upon their own preferences.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?

Find Me:
https://mewe.com/i/robertsmoot
See my shirt designs:
https://teespring.com/stores/smoot-life
Seven

Post Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:24 pm

Besides the name, the salamander is not funny and the players don't see the name.
I got a look at the original when searching through Egyptian monsters, funny enough.

The angry little rakuns will always crack me up and the players will call them raccoons no matter what. R2-D2 and C3P0 are comic relief characters, that doesn't turn all robots into jokes.
Now, JarJar Bings and the Ewoks?

I also use the giant beavers. They go all the way back and they're like the guys from Narnia.
It's hard to do a scary giant beaver.

It's like the satyrs. If you're doing them seriously, you're doing them wrong.
Many of the sprites are like that. So, I try not to go too far into fairyland.
Harpies are no fun though.
teaman

Post Tue Nov 17, 2020 6:53 pm

Seven wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:24 pm Besides the name, the salamander is not funny and the players don't see the name.
I got a look at the original when searching through Egyptian monsters, funny enough.

The angry little rakuns will always crack me up and the players will call them raccoons no matter what. R2-D2 and C3P0 are comic relief characters, that doesn't turn all robots into jokes.
Now, JarJar Bings and the Ewoks?

I also use the giant beavers. They go all the way back and they're like the guys from Narnia.
It's hard to do a scary giant beaver.

It's like the satyrs. If you're doing them seriously, you're doing them wrong.
Many of the sprites are like that. So, I try not to go too far into fairyland.
Harpies are no fun though.
I used giant beavers once too. Well, you can imagine how that went.
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:35 am

Seven wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 1:24 pmIt's like the satyrs. If you're doing them seriously, you're doing them wrong.
Oh no sir, I disagree. The best satyr usages involve them *appearing* to be comic relief... but in fact, being very fey and untrustworthy.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seven

Post Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:09 pm

I don't see a contradiction. They were associated with Bacchus who is basically the god of partying. In Greece, people dressed as Satyrs for plays. Like in real life, the guy you go out with on a Friday night is not necessarily the guy you want as a roommate.

Back in the day, the monster we had the most problems with was the leprechaun.
Might as well just walk up to it and ask "Okay, what's your scam?".
It was basically a monster everybody knew from the Bugs Bunny Show.