Submission Guidelines

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Submission Guidelines

Post by Solomoriah »

Layout Guidelines

All submissions of rules or adventure materials to the Basic Fantasy Project must be in source format; for most, this means OpenOffice.org/LibreOffice ODT format, but Word will be accepted as well (though we'll change it to ODT before publishing). Please, do NOT submit PDFs to us, as we won't use them.

To clarify a point of some contention, if you share something in the Workshop or Showcase (or indeed anywhere on the forum), what you share is assumed to be a "submission" of that work to the Project. If you are in doubt that you want this or indeed are allowed to do this, please just don't share the work here.

An exception is made for forms, such as character sheets; if the software needed to edit the document is not generally available, feel free to submit just the final PDF format.

We have specific fonts for our projects which you can download here. We can't offer much advice regarding installing these fonts on your computer, but there are many pages out there that have instructions.

Rules supplements are normally set in Soutane BF type, with headings in Soutane Black. Adventures are set in Adventure BF with headings in Soutane Black. Any existing materials set in Century Gothic should be changed to Adventure BF.

How to Create a New Adventure or Supplement

First, you need a good idea. That should go without saying. Write up a first version of your concept and post it in the Workshop, where others can critique it for you. When your submission is complete, post it to the Showcase (if you have a Showcase account) or contact me (Solomoriah) to let me know that you have a complete work and would like a Showcase account for it. Once I've looked it over, if I feel it is up to snuff, I'll upgrade your forum account to a Showcase account and you'll be able to post it there.

Highly rated Showcase products may be selected by me to be included on the main Downloads page. Adventures may be fast-tracked into publication mode, either standalone or as a part of an Adventure Anthology book, at our option. We are always interested in adventures!

If you are creating an adventure, please download the Adventure Template attached to this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2333

Then, follow the directions inside it to create your adventure. All adventures for the Downloads page (and eventually for printing!) must be in the standard format, and using the Adventure Template styles will make that easy for you. However, if you are not able to use our template for any reason, as long as you submit your materials in a source format we can read, we'll work it out for you.

What Goes Where, and Why

The Workshop is the "wild west" of game material writing and sharing. You can write pretty much whatever you want and post it there, so long as you obey the Rules (see below). This means that you are likely to find unfinished, half-baked, and/or badly conceived ideas there, as well as the sort of excellent works such as you are used to finding on this site.

The Showcase is for recognized authors to post their work. There may be many different "takes" on one or another concept (we have a number of Rangers, for instance). Showcase products should be complete; if you are an approved author, please don't submit incomplete works there. "Unfinished" works in the Showcase should be limited to adventures which are fully playable, but in need of things like artwork, flavor text, and other "fluff" that we all love but don't actually need.

The Downloads page is for official and approved works, which will all be complete. Official works include the core rules... and pretty much nothing else. All other items on the Downloads page are approved by me. With respect to rule supplements, there should be only one regular way to do each thing on that page; I'm very picky about what I allow there.

The Rules

To appear on this site in any fashion, a work must be licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license, preferably the 4.0 International version. This means that all text, and all required graphics (such as maps, for example), are CC BY-SA. Decorative artwork does not have to follow this rule, but you must have the right to redistribute any artwork you use in your product, and you must be able to explain to me how you have such a right. Of course, any work being shared here must also not be infringing anyone else's copyright.

To appear on the Downloads page, a work must be in the standard style. We attempt to maintain consistency in look and feel not just for artistic reasons, but because it makes it easier for GMs to pick up any adventure or supplement from the site and use it immediately. Showcase items should be in the standard style, and if you want an item from the Showcase to make it to the Downloads page, this can be a deal-breaker.

Showcase products should be complete; Downloads page products must be complete.

Using Google Docs, Office Online, etc.

If you prefer to use an online/cloud-based service to work on your stuff, that is totally fine. However, you must still post an attachment of your work in PDF and ODT format. We want all work to be accessible via this site/forum.

This is in addition to any URLs you post of where you're working on things. Also, please be sure to keep attachments updated as your work progresses.

Please direct all discussion of the submission guidelines to the separate discussion thread here: http://www.basicfantasy.org/forums/view ... f=19&t=696

Basic Fantasy Adventure & Supplement Templates
Basic Fantasy RPG Style Guide
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org