Style guide

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: Style guide

Post by chiisu81 »

Solomoriah wrote:Going over your revised R32, and I noticed you worked on standardizing the NPC statblocks (which I'll admit, I kept changing as I went along). I've decided I like it this way:

Yunkers: Human Magic-User 6, AC 11, #At 1, Dam 1d3, Mv 40', Ml 9, XP 555

I don't like the race/class/level in parens; I'd rather have it be as shown above. I'm revising R32 to this standard, but we'll have to review it to make sure I haven't missed any.
Note for myself to add/revise for next release.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

R5 uploaded with revised NPC statblock note.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Note to myself to add a section on monster stat-blocks as requested by coldrage.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

R6 uploaded. Re-named "monster stat-block" section to "monster/npc stat-line", and added a "monster stat-block" section alongside it.
laDracykei

Post by laDracykei »

I'm curious about the decision to make the spell names bold rather than italic. Was that a feature of B/X? I believe the standard of italicized spells go all the Chainmail.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

It was my decision. Because I like it that way.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
laDracykei

Post by laDracykei »

It's not strange or bad, just different. I always liked italicizing spell names the way you might italicize the title of a book -- it gave a sort of artistic feel to them. It makes them feel like they're the name of something, and in a more subtle way than something like capitalization would. When they're bold instead, they look less like names to me and more like keywords. Now that I think about it, putting them in bold affords the same advantage to them as it does to keywords: it makes them easier to spot when scanning through the reference.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Easier to spot is why I like it that way.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Solo, feel free to correct/clarify for r7:
References to BFRPG Works/Titles

Any BFRPG titles referred to should be capitalized and bold. "Basic Fantasy" should always be spelled out, not shortened to "BFRPG".

"Some of the monsters in this adventure come from the Basic Fantasy Field Guide 1."
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I would say something like: The name of the game should either be spelled out completely (ie "Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game") or use the acronym "BFRPG". At no time should it be shortened or partially combined with acronym portions; "Basic Fantasy" only or "Basic Fantasy RPG" are NOT acceptable nomenclature.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?