Style guide

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Style guide

Post Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:45 am

According to the product identity license, and my own preferences, "Basic Fantasy RPG" is okay in print. I'd prefer to avoid the abbreviation BFRPG in print; it would only be okay if for some reason the name of the game had to be used repeatedly.

Other than that, I'm in agreement with Chi.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:34 am

r7 uploaded.
I like to point out spelling mistakes and post GIFs.
Adventure & Supplement Templates | Style Guide
My works on Showcase
orobouros

Post Thu Mar 29, 2018 5:45 pm

Note that use of words in place of numbers is preferred, except when discussing game statistics (hit dice, damage, etc.).
I believe the rule of thumb is to prefer written out words for numbers up to ten, and digits past that. Such as, "the third number past 120 when counting up is 123. There are four digits between 120 and 123 if counting inclusive, only two if counting exclusive. I remember this from my 37th programming homework." The argument is for readability; short numbers read quickly. Longer numbers like one-thousand-six-hundred-forty-two can be harder to follow.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:28 pm

Generally this is true, except for nominative cases. For example, if something is in room 2, you write the numeral, not the word two. 2 is its name, and furthermore, stands out from the text better.

When writing boxed text, writing numbers out as words is always preferred, except where it's too inconvenient.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:57 pm

r8 uploaded.
I like to point out spelling mistakes and post GIFs.
Adventure & Supplement Templates | Style Guide
My works on Showcase