Adventure & supplement templates

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Adventure & supplement templates

Post by chiisu81 »

Here are the template files for creating new 4E-compatible rules supplements and adventures. To use these new templates, you'll need our new font package:

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads/bf-core-fonts.zip

You'll have to unzip the fonts and install them on your system, which on Windows is a matter of going to the Font Settings screen and dropping the unzipped files directly in there.

-- updated by Solo 2023-02-01 --

***************** original text *****************

Starting a thread for the template.

I've noticed that the formatting for the boxed text in the template is different from what I've seen in other documents (both the spacing and the line thickness). Solo, can you let me know which is correct? I know it'll need to be corrected and standardized for everything in AA2, and I'd like to also work on it for CS1, CS2, and the adventures that will go into the future-AA3.
Attachments
BFRPG-Adventure-Template-r23.ott
(55.05 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
BFRPG-Supplement-Template-r12.ott
(46.48 KiB) Downloaded 572 times
AlMan

Re: Adventure template

Post by AlMan »

May also want to look at the copyright year, bring it up to 2017. :)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Boxed text should be framed in 0.5 point lines with an 0.04" margin top and bottom and an 0.06" margin left and right. HOWEVER, as long as the lines are 0.5 points and the interior margin is between 0.04" and 0.06" inches, I'm good (i.e. uniform 0.04" or 0.06" margins are okay). I do know some have used 1.0 point lines, and I fix those when I notice them.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Ok thanks for the clarification, I'll check the formatting as I work on things.

I've re-uploaded R2, should have 2017 now.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I just uploaded R3, with some additional guidance for laying out room descriptions.
Ozor

Post by Ozor »

Would a LaTex template for BFRPG modules be worth the effort? I came across a D&D 5e version here:

https://github.com/evanbergeron/DND-5e-LaTeX-Template

LaTex markup is not for the faint of heart and it requires a more complicated setup then LibreOffice.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I would never use it. Your mileage may vary.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

I use LaTex for my math homework sometimes.

My first thought: I don't know if I would use it for this. I have enough trouble writing what I want to say without having to worry about syntax. :lol:

After thinking about it a little more: This could be really cool.

A little more thought: BFRPG was written in Libre office, and the style is already there.

BFRPG has a simple style. 5e is much more stylized, and LaTex probably handles that better. I'm not sure I would use it, unless it had some impressive features. The potential is definitely there, but it might be a lot of work.

It would also be harder to find editing help here as fewer people know how to use it. Chiisu (glory be to him) for one might not be as familiar, and his loss would be a detriment to any project.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

You are far too kind. :)

I think it would be interesting just to see how it'd look and perform. I do use Fountain and LilyPond on occasion, so I have a passing familiarity with some syntactic, non-WYSIWYG formatting. They have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm not familiar with LaTex, but have always wanted to learn at least the basics.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

One of the reasons we use LibreOffice is accessibility. If we laid out documents in LaTEX, those lacking the specialized skills for using that software would be locked out of working on compatible projects. But anyone sharp enough to create stuff for the game is probably sharp enough to use LibreOffice.