Rangers and Paladins Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
cbarchuk

Re: Rangers and Paladins Supplement

Post by cbarchuk »

Do Elven Rangers get a d8 for HP? I assume not.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Elves never get higher than a d6 for their hit dice
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Dimirag wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:14 am Elves never get higher than a d6 for their hit dice
Correct. The d6 HD limitation is a factor of Race (Elves and Halfings). We have discussed this with regards to how the combo-classes work as well. The d6 for Fighter/MU is actually a function of these more delicate races (Elf or Gnome).
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Considering this topic, should this supplement have a note about fighters using the weapons specialization rules for a kind of "balance"? If yes, I think those rules should be duplicated here in order to avoid referencing other supplements.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm still thinking about it, honestly.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

Dimirag wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:51 pm Considering this topic, should this supplement have a note about fighters using the weapons specialization rules for a kind of "balance"? If yes, I think those rules should be duplicated here in order to avoid referencing other supplements.
Any updates on this? I think this is an issue for those that don't use weapon specialization or any of the combat options for that matter.
Seven

Post by Seven »

cbarchuk wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:56 am Any updates on this? I think this is an issue for those that don't use weapon specialization or any of the combat options for that matter.
Honestly, it's a bit unfair to expect a ruling on something like this since everybody uses a different combination of the optional rules.

I don't use weapon options other than to give penalties to players who pick up exotic weapons and to help deal more damage to mobs of critters. I'm still trying to find the right balance with archers/scouts/rangers, given that almost all of my armies/militias/city guards are full of archers and crossbowmen and they train with those continuously. I've come to accept an increase in lethality from ranged weapons since training with a sword and fighting with a sword isn't exactly the same thing but training with a bow and fighting with a bow is basically the same thing.

Very interested in hearing on your experiences by the way.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Done. Uploading now.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Announcing!

Rangers and Paladins: A Basic Fantasy Supplement, Release 4 -- March 01, 2021
This new release is the result of some discussion on the forum regarding the relative power of Fighters, Rangers, and Paladins. Basically, the Weapon Specialization rule from Combat Options has been transplanted here as an option.

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html ... ndpaladins
cbarchuk

Post by cbarchuk »

I don't use weapon options other than to give penalties to players who pick up exotic weapons and to help deal more damage to mobs of critters. I'm still trying to find the right balance with archers/scouts/rangers, given that almost all of my armies/militias/city guards are full of archers and crossbowmen and they train with those continuously. I've come to accept an increase in lethality from ranged weapons since training with a sword and fighting with a sword isn't exactly the same thing but training with a bow and fighting with a bow is basically the same thing.

Very interested in hearing on your experiences by the way.
Well, if you're not using weapon specialization then I wouldn't allow a Ranger in the game as missile weapons are very strong. In original BX, bows and crossbows only did 1d6 of damage while only the Battle Axe & Sword did 1d8 with the 2-handed sword & Pole Arm doing 1d10. So melee weapons were more lethal. Additional there were no multiple attacks per round either. In BF there are now a plethora of 1d8 weapons of all types including missile weapons. Now all that being said if you still wanted a Ranger then I would do at the very least this:
  • If the Ranger decides to fire both shots then he can't move that round
Just my 2 cents. Cheers.