Rangers and Paladins Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Longman

Re: Rangers and Paladins Supplement

Post by Longman »

The current ranger class works fine in my view. The penalty to outdoor movement from wearing heavy armor is enough to dissuade the ranger in my game from doing it, without having to make a class-based rule that he can't. It means he can still fight in armor if they go underground, but he will always be best with the longbow, outdoors.

If there is one tweak I would make to the Ranger class it is that the +2 bonus on the bow should only apply outdoors. (Or maybe it is only +1 indoors?)

I think collectively, ranger, scout, thief and fighter classes here cover all that I would be likely to want from a non-spellcaster. (I don't use paladins. They make me feel queasy.)
Woe

Post by Woe »

I do wonder if giving the paladin protection from evil with a ten foot radius is a bit powerful. Anyone who playtested this have comments?
I play paladins often, and it's not OP at all. It protects nearby party members from being possessed (rarely needed), +2 on AC and saves (purely defensive), and prevents summoned creatures from nearing the paladin. IOW, it's usually +2 on AC and saves for the party, until the tide of battle starts drifting the paladin and other party members away from each other.
Freya HP 24/24 AC 16 (17 two weapons)
Kilian HP 20/20 AC 19 (18 no shield)
Talin HP 29 AC 16
Tiana HP 11 AC 12 SP 8/8
Fido HP 9/9 AC 16
Anna HP 12/12 AC 15 (19 defensively)
Bruce HP 20/20 AC 16 (15 no shield)

Red Oak map
Red Oak loot
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I play a 2E paladin, the divine aura is not powerful, although in 2E is just a -2AC and +2 to savings. Sometimes I use that ability as a "beacon" making that evil opponents attack the paladin instead of any other party member.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Itlas

Post by Itlas »

The classes are great,I just wold suggest a couple of things

Paladin:spells based on Charisma instead than on Wisdom

Strongholds,as other optional classes I think Rangers and Paladins lack of proper rules for strongholds.
A Ranger could buy a watchtower in a wild area for example while a Paladin could build a temple for his/her Divinity,but I personally would not allow a paladin to gain followers due of the very strict life they live.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r3 with track changes enabled uploaded here.
Itlas wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:42 am Strongholds,as other optional classes I think Rangers and Paladins lack of proper rules for strongholds. A Ranger could buy a watchtower in a wild area for example while a Paladin could build a temple for his/her Divinity,but I personally would not allow a paladin to gain followers due of the very strict life they live.
I think the Stronghold section in the Core Rules is sufficient, just modify as needed for a temple. For a Ranger I see him or her building something up in a tree or stand themself, not purchasing something.
Attachments
BF-Rangers-and-Paladins-r3.odt
(37.22 KiB) Downloaded 342 times
daryen

Post by daryen »

Just a thought on a long established class supplement: Can we add in a Holy Avenger sword? Such a weapon has been part and parcel of the Paladin from the very first appearance onward. I really think there should be an entry for the Holy Avenger.

The Holy Avenger appears to be and operates as a long sword +2 for non-Paladins. But, to a Paladin, it becomes long sword +5. It also causes an additional +5 damage (for a total of +10) against creatures from a nether plane (cf. dispel evil spell; GM decides the specifics). Finally, once per day, the Paladin can cast dispel magic using their Paladin level as the caster level.

(The GM can decide whether there are actually two different types of swords, Holy Avenger and Unholy Avenger, or if there is just one type that will match its wielder.)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'd like to see an array of holy swords. The Holy Avenger is the only example given in the old games; there should, I'd think, be some variety.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I would like to see a set of Holy Weapons, not just sword, with different special properties, maybe not just weapons, holly armors, helmets and shields could be an interesting thing
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
daryen

Post by daryen »

Solomoriah wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:16 pm I'd like to see an array of holy swords. The Holy Avenger is the only example given in the old games; there should, I'd think, be some variety.
I'm down with that.

I just suggested the Holy Avenger because it'd be able to fit in the small space remaining in the page holding the Paladin description. It's historic and it works in the space.

As for having array of holy weapons, I'm on board with that. No reason it can only be a "sword". An axe, hammer, and mace would all be great options. (And the latter two should work for Clerics, too.)

But, again, I was just trying to fill that little remaining space with an ultra-classic weapon. Doing a whole page is fine, too.
Seven

Post by Seven »

I vouch for the Holy Hand Grenade.