Scouts Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
SmootRK

Re: Scouts Supplement

Post by SmootRK »

When I say a sneak attack is not a good fit, I only mean that in the Melee sense... which is why I propose one that is done with a missile weapon instead (same mechanics otherwise). Like a hunter would do.
Nobody hunts with a longsword. :o
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Steveman

Post by Steveman »

My uncle Jim used to hunt boars with a spear, and at least once he brought home a deer he killed with his "knife". I use quotations, since his knife was a 12-inch long survival knife that I would class more of a short sword. I was kind of like this, but made of iron by his father in the 1920s.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Steveman wrote:My uncle Jim used to hunt boars with a spear, and at least once he brought home a deer he killed with his "knife". I use quotations, since his knife was a 12-inch long survival knife that I would class more of a short sword. I was kind of like this, but made of iron by his father in the 1920s.
Ok, so some rare few fight with longswords :roll:

Most however, use missile weapons of some sort. :D
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

Aside from "appropriateness," do Sneak Attack and Sniper Attack balance equivalently? If so, you could make this a choice at character creation.
Go with a smile!
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Joe the Rat wrote:Aside from "appropriateness," do Sneak Attack and Sniper Attack balance equivalently? If so, you could make this a choice at character creation.
I would actually say that a Snipe attack (same bonuses and damage consideration) is only slightly better in the sense that the Scout is relatively safe from any sort of melee retribution, and has a greater chance to maneuver again (or subsequently hide, run away, etc.) than a Thief does with a backstab sort of Sneak Attack.

Aside from that sort of line of thought, I see it as equivalent in the mechanical way of thinking.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I like the "thievish-ranger" approach, while rangers are more melee-range balanced scouts should be more range oriented, the Sniper shot ability fits nicely maybe it could have some more strict requirements:
Instead of attacking an opponent's back the bonus can be used when taking "aim" from medium/long distance.
The double damage could be done against unaware/surprised opponents.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Dimirag wrote:I like the "thievish-ranger" approach, while rangers are more melee-range balanced scouts should be more range oriented, the Sniper shot ability fits nicely maybe it could have some more strict requirements:
Instead of attacking an opponent's back the bonus can be used when taking "aim" from medium/long distance.
The double damage could be done against unaware/surprised opponents.
Rangers as Melee probably depends on your version of ranger. To many, they are Bowmen. If you are using my version, there is not specific weapon kudo... only enemy perks.

That, and I would imagine such a Snipe attack being a short range thing (as a balance maintainer). Hunters strive to get as close as possible to make their kill shot. Not really taking into account newer gun weapons with mega-scopes that allow kills from a mile away. For that kind of accuracy with a medieval weapon, I think short range is fine.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

For thievish-ranger I was referring more to the "nature oriented stealth fighter" rather to the weapon aspect of itself.
The problem of making the sniper-shot at close-range is that the bonus would be a total of +5 (+4 for the ability and +1 for short range) but as the Thief replace the bonus for back-attack with his own mod the Scout could do the same (so the overall bonus gain would be a +3 for the final +4)
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Not sure I completely understood your post, but it seems there is a bit of consensus (unsure of exactly Solo's stance though) that it could be a snipe sort of attack working in the same manner as thief melee sneak attack. Just have to work out the particulars of it.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

A "Sniper" ability, applying Sneak Attack to missile weapons, seems perfectly fine to me.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org