¡Basic Fantasy en español!

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Jbastardov

Re: ¡Basic Fantasy en español!

Post by Jbastardov »

Here's a very early teaser of the translation process. All the credits to kerck for the awesome job he has put on this so far, I'm barely adapting it and adding a few corrections.

Regarding the BFRPG logo, it could also be translated if that is ok.
Attachments
Fantasia-Básica-JDR-Reglas-l107 Teaser.pdf
BFRPG Spanish translation teaser
(1.59 MiB) Downloaded 413 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Jbastardov wrote:Regarding proper names such as Morningstar that could be translated (Estrelladelalba, Estrelladiurna, Lucerodelalba), should I translate those as well or just leave them?
What seems most appropriate to you?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Jbastardov

Post by Jbastardov »

Solomoriah wrote:What seems most appropriate to you?
I believe it will depend on the name. I stand with Dimirag that translating the names could help spanish-speaking players, but in some cases the names would better be left untouched as the case with Morgansfort (currently translated as Fuertemorgan), so players can easily make the connection with it and the Adventure module available on the website since the module hasn't been translated, yet ;)

For the first Spanish release, I would go with a mixed style on some of the names for now.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I leave it to you two to decide how to do it. Of course, names like Darion or Barthal should not require translation; only those with meanings that can be understood by modern readers should be considered, such as Morningstar or Aura, or those where the name has a direct Spanish translation (John vs. Juan, if I understand correctly).

Morningstar was named by a friend, and I think she liked the double meaning. Hint: Except for Barthal, all eight of the pregens in Morgansfort are based on characters from my early games.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

From a translation "purist" view, names aren't translated, they are considered equivalents but are never translated, but in some places (like Spain) they have rules about translating everything, I'm OK with not translating names, maybe except for those (both of people and places) that bare some meaning, an hybrid use wouldn't be out of place
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
kerc

Post by kerc »

Dude, that's looking cool! You're getting me excited to keep working on it. :D

I would leave the names in English for the most part, unless we can find something that doesn't sound awkward. For example, "Lucero" is a well-known name in Spanish. But we, for the most part, don't have composite names with different words. "Albalucero" maybe?

I'd suggest we translate the whole thing with the original names and all, and then we go into the details like these. What do you think?
Kerc | Dice Pencil & Paper | @dicepencilpaper
kerc

Post by kerc »

By the way, I started this on Google Docs because it's way easier to cooperate on a document with this, as opposed to swapping a file back and forth... The idea being that after the project is completed, then we would convert it to the LibreOffice document.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The problem with converting back to ODT/LibreOffice is that Google Docs will lose some or all of the complex formatting, like frames, some of the image layout options, and maybe even the page styles (unless they've fixed that recently, I don't use Google Docs so I'm not up on it). It is really a big job to convert back, and since I can't read the language, I can't do it. I can take my book, translated in place, and hammer out layout issues... that doesn't require me to understand nearly as much Spanish (or French, or whatever). But I know myself too well... faced with such a monumental task as completely reformatting the document in a foreign language, I know I'll never get around to it.
Jbastardov

Post by Jbastardov »

kerc wrote:I'd suggest we translate the whole thing with the original names and all, and then we go into the details like these. What do you think?
I like how Albalucero sounds, but I think this is the best decision, first we translate the whole book and then we go into details regarding names and such.

And I'm glad you like the results :)
kerc wrote:By the way, I started this on Google Docs because it's way easier to cooperate on a document with this, as opposed to swapping a file back and forth
I would have also liked this, but as Solomoriah pointed out, it would be difficult for him, or anyone really, to take the translations and formatting them into the guidelines followed by the original work.

What we can do is:

a) Split the work between us, maybe by chapters, and go working our ways and then just paste the whole thing in a single file and corrections later.

Or

b) You continue to do the translating process on the Google Drive file, then I just take it and start pasting it on the file I've been working on while doing some corrections.

I still haven't finished with your original translation since I also do some small edits so the format of the file won't get messed-up. But progress is being made. By the end of today I'll upload another update on the process.

If I had to choose, in order to make it quicker, I would go with option a)
kerc

Post by kerc »

Let's go with method A. I gotta download LibreOffice and fire up my old laptop (I'm mostly a Chromebook dude). How do you wanna split the work?