Core Rules French Translation

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Elwing

Core Rules French Translation

Post by Elwing »

hello, I am a french new comer on this site. I haven't been playing RPG since mid of 90's, but I used to play other types of games since then. Still, i have always been interested in rpg game mechanics (and i kept couple of vintage rpg at home). Believe it or not i never played d&d nor ad&d... i discovered retro clones two years ago, and finally found basic fantasy, which i found excellent. I may restart playing rpg with couple of other nostalgic colleagues of mine, so i actually started translating it in french ;) ... Multiple reasons: improve my English, re-discover my written french, learn word processor usage, but also to teach the rules of course.
I already covered all rules sections except the monster one. It is a "genuine" translation in the sense that i didn't copy/paste from french rpg sites to get pieces of text. Instead, i choose to use my "style", words, and likely a couple of grammar issues to fix. If it meets some traction from french community and our canadian friends, i will continue the effort to complete monsters (i am on my way already). In order to do so i would like to share the pdf on a first stage (i have to clean up the .odt stuff before sharing).
PS: hopefully my englis is fine...

https://www.basicfantasy.org/showcase.cgi?sid=114 (current work)

https://basicfantasy.org/downloads.html#corerules3 (eventual home of final work)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: french translation

Post by Solomoriah »

Elwing, you now have Showcase access. I'd much prefer if you uploaded your ODTs (or at least, email them to me) even if they have problems; many times before I've had translators bug out on me without sharing their intermediate work, leaving nothing for future translators to start with. It's why we don't have a Swedish translation, despite that being the first translation anyone ever started. Conversely, that's also why we DO have an Italian translation... the first translator sent me his work, so when he bugged out others could take over.

No comment on you personally... I don't know you, so I can't say if you're likely to wander off or not. But even if you are the most dedicated fellow out there, you could still be hit by a truck.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Core Rules French Translation

Post by Solomoriah »

Looking over your document, I see you don't have the standard font package. Check your email for a copy.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Elwing

Post by Elwing »

thank you Chris, I received and fixed the fonts issue. I also uploaded the fixed odt file as well as a refreshed pdf file in the showcase page. Thank you for the Lightning fast support :)
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

I'll definitely check that out and send you aome feedback.l !
PapersAndPaychecks

Post by PapersAndPaychecks »

Salut Elwing et bienvenu! Je sais qu'il y a beaucoup des francophones dans l'OSR.
Elwing

Post by Elwing »

Merci! thanks for the nice words. this is great to meet you far people around this game.
BTW, i updated the version with additionnal monsters.
Elwing

Post by Elwing »

Hi, i just pushed an updated release with some typo fixed, and new monsters translation. Any feedback welcome!

Cheers :)
Elwing

Post by Elwing »

FYI, I just uploaded a new revision with some more monsters and some fixes.
While translating , i noticed one minor detail , for the spell "polymorph others". it is mentionned "Unwilling targets that successfully save against Polymorph are not affected"
but there is no Saving throw named polymorph in the related rules chapter.
i believe it should be "Save againts Paralysis or Petrify" instead. could someone confirm (or not) ?
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Elwing wrote:FYI, I just uploaded a new revision with some more monsters and some fixes.
While translating , i noticed one minor detail , for the spell "polymorph others". it is mentionned "Unwilling targets that successfully save against Polymorph are not affected"
but there is no Saving throw named polymorph in the related rules chapter.
i believe it should be "Save againts Paralysis or Petrify" instead. could someone confirm (or not) ?
Post that in the core rules thread. Solo should give you an answer and correct it in the rules if needed.