Swashbuckler playtest

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Bry_bry

Swashbuckler playtest

Post by Bry_bry »

Hello! I'm new to the board and this is my first post! Anyways, I've been tinkering around with a idea to make a Swashbuckler class as a Fighter subclass using some class abilities found in Luigi Castellani's Barbarian, R. Kevin Smoot's Bards, and the Combat Options supplement by the previous two author's in addition to Chris Gonnerman.

I know it isn't perfect, so please tell me what you think! I also intended to have the class be usable with or without the various options presented in the Combat Options supplement, such as two weapon combat. The "Duelist" class ability is literally the Unarmored Combat option, since the class was inspired by seeing the option called the "Swashbuckler option"

*Edit: changed a few errors in the original document and uploaded as a PDF.

**Edit: Changed more errors in the OGL document and modified phrasing.

***Edit: Updated with new hit die.
Attachments
BF-Swashbuckler VERSION 2.pdf
(106.07 KiB) Downloaded 463 times
Last edited by Bry_bry on Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
teaman

Re: Swashbuckler playtest

Post by teaman »

This is very nice.

One thing to note is that at higher levels, the swashbuckler will be VERY difficult for opponents to hit. That's not neccessarily a bug, and my be a nice tradeoff for not being able to wear armor.

I needed this class about two years ago when a player wanted a swashbuckler. In the end, he just played a fighter with swashbuckling panache, but that tumble ability would have been a nice addition.

I look forward to seeing how it gets tweaked in the future!
Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Your OGL text should be revised; it still says (in two places) that it's the Barbarian supplement.

I'm not, overall, in favor of this class myself. I prefer to use the unarmored rule in Combat Options with normal Fighters and Thieves to emulate this result. But to each their own.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I kind of like the class, only thing is that most of his special abilities could end up being used by other classes via optional rules making the class lose its mojo, I prefer the approach where you take something that other can or could do and improve it a bit.

Here's a little more analysis:

Hit Die: I don't see the reason for lowering the die value
Requirements: I don't recall the use of prime requisite so it could be removed.
Alertness should be improved to cover other classes using similar abilities to backstab like assassins
Duelist: I would give him a better starting AC, plus, with the rules as they are he can fend off projectile atacks
Finesse: Add the replacement of STR for DEX for damage adjustment.
Tumble: While I see the Swashbuckler as an athletic moving character I don't see doing cartwheel or somersaults...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Bry_bry

Post by Bry_bry »

Thanks for the feedback! My main focus with developing a fighter subclass of with a "swashbuckler" dressing is varied:

1) The fighter class is simple and great! and I really like the additional combat rules supplement. But as a fencer (both HEMA and modern electric), I like the potential to play as more nimble, agile fighter without the need for armor. I want to be able to go toe-to-toe with a armored, seasoned Bandit leader of similar level and not annihilated at a mere 11 AC. So I really like that "Swashbuckler" optional rule, but not all of my players (or myself) would want to be the game standard and prefer if it was situational to select characters. Now, I could just have a standard fighter have this option by player choice, but if a fighter was really so handy with a sword to merit adding AB to AC, but decided put on some lovely armor found in a treasure chest; they shouldn't suddenly loose that defensive bonus to AC from their AB for balance reasons. A skilled fighter would be much more formidable in armored AND skilled but then, their AC could potentially make them untouchable at a lower level. I feel like the loss of AB to AC could only be factored in if the player exceeds their 'lightly load' limit, which might not always be the case.

So this subclass is a means to bypass this option causing potential issues and making it specific to a fighter type to fit particular player role playing interests.

So- with that said, Based on my own house rules and personal interest; in addition to using an optional rule that already exists, I built a subclass based around that feature, so if someone wants to play as a nimble fighter without the encumbrance of armor, or want to emulate literary heroes who are fast and cunning in a fight, I felt like this class would be for those particular players.

2) I really love the Barbarian and Ranger as sub classes as well. I like how the Ranger has the weapon specialization built into their class as a means to define it as being different from the standard fighter, in addition to a few other options to make it more unique. This is also what lead me to include the "tumble" skill as a means to further my class from the basic fighter. IF a fighter is fast and can be more agile in a fight, i feel like they should be able to react to a situation as to defend themselves. I just used the ability from the bard for the sake of simplicity, but my idea going into it is not only be quick to react to spells and traps, but also as a potential means to protect against Parting Shots if the player wants to run around the fight, jump on tables, and swing on ropes while slashing away. I'll edit some more to include this. My house rule was to do a tumble check to avoid a parting shot if needed. So I'll modify the document to fit this in.

Now when it comes down to doing more fine tuning of the class, here are my current thoughts:
- I decreased the hit die to aid with balance reason, since an immediate boost to AC AND other class abilities would cause an immediate discrepancy compared to the Basic fighter. Again, I'm into the idea of there being a difference between a lean fighter that's fast and a burly, thick fighter who's strong.
- I increased the XP due to the additional class features as well. The other additional classes have a similar XP increase, so i used it as a template to go off of.
- I didn't include the Assassin in the Backstab description, since the Assassin is similar enough to the Thief, but also because the Barbarian subclass I used as the basis also didn't mention the Assassin. In addition, I pretty much don't want to mention optional classes or rules by name in the playtest, so any player who wants to playtest this class doesn't need to look up additional rules or options.
- as written; if a Swashbuckler is aware of archers shooting arrows at him or her; they would still maintain their bonus to AC regardless of the attacks
- I'm against using Dex for damage, because then STR is ill relevant and can cause potential balance issues making the basic fighter less optimal.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll edit the document again soon when I have time to sit down to work on it some more
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Decreasing the HD for a front line fighter that has a limited AC is lowering his survival chances

Keeping STR as the damage mod while not using STR as a requirement means that the character could end up with a damage penalty lowering his function. I would either keep the STR requirement or use DEX for damage.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Bry_bry

Post by Bry_bry »

Dimirag wrote:Decreasing the HD for a front line fighter that has a limited AC is lowering his survival chances

Keeping STR as the damage mod while not using STR as a requirement means that the character could end up with a damage penalty lowering his function. I would either keep the STR requirement or use DEX for damage.
Thanks again for your opinion! I'll gladly consider it as I test out the different variables. Please post any results from testing out the current build!
Bry_bry

Post by Bry_bry »

Hello! So after playtesting for a number of sessions, i'm planning in increasing the hit die to a d8. If anyone has any input they'd like to share, please do!