World of Verdan (WiP)

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
jdrakeh

World of Verdan (WiP)

Post by jdrakeh »

I'm in the process of prepping for an Iron Falcon one-shot and decided to set it in the world of my old vs. Monsters OGL supplement, vs. Elves. I've tweaked a few things to make more sense for Iron Falcon and figured I could share it here (I wasn't sure whether to post here or in the IF sub-forum; if it needs to be moved, please do so).

Right now it just consists of setting background and a couple of house rules for non-human races and personal firearms. I plan on converting monsters (which are where the real unique parts of the setting come into play) in the weeks to come. At the moment, I'm using the city of Barnacus (Dragon #80) as a stand-in for Balthour, as the original city map in the vs. Elves supplement wasn't well-suited to the type of adventures I want to run with Iron Falcon.

[Edit 11:47 PM MST 04/26/16: New file upload!]
Attachments
War_Against_the_Fae.pdf
(244.37 KiB) Downloaded 468 times
Last edited by jdrakeh on Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
jdrakeh

Re: World of Verdan (WiP)

Post by jdrakeh »

The document has been updated. I've changed the title to "War Against the Fae" to better reflect the nature of the setting in the context of Iron Falcon (as opposed to the vs. Monsters Engine) and added detail on monsters specific to the setting, as well as some information on the great magi (who serve as a reason to adventure outside of the city walls).
Koren_nRhys

Post by Koren_nRhys »

Please share more of this as you continue to flesh it out - I love the concept. I've had thought of doing some of this in my own world - at least one continent where the fae are much more... aggressive? I get a real "Broken Sword" vibe and love that. Great stuff.
jdrakeh

Post by jdrakeh »

Thanks for the kind words. :)

I'm not the regular referee for our group (the regular weekly game is D&D 5e), but I'm going to try to parlay this one-shot into an irregular pick up game and will be developing the setting further to this end. I already have some ideas about new monsters inspired by Tibetan tulpa and plan to reintroduce some classic-era stuff (the original gnoll as gnome/troll hybrid).

Also, it's worth nothing that I'm plugging a lot of classic TSR modules into the setting (e.g., the already mentioned Barnacus, B4, and more). I can't mention those by name in the setting document proper due to them not being open game content but I'll mention them in this thread and advise on how I'm using them in my own game. I'll probably have some advice in the referee section on adapting your own favored modules.
Koren_nRhys

Post by Koren_nRhys »

Looking forward to it!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I might suggest naming your creatures gnoles in the fashion and spelling of Lord Dunsany...
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
jdrakeh

Post by jdrakeh »

Solomoriah wrote:I might suggest naming your creatures gnoles in the fashion and spelling of Lord Dunsany...
I will take this under advisement! :D
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Added updated PDF to first post as an attachment. External sites tend to lose files over time.
jdrakeh

Post by jdrakeh »

chiisu81 wrote:Added updated PDF to first post as an attachment. External sites tend to lose files over time.
Thanks! I should have another update sometime next week. What should I do when that PDF is ready?
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

After you log-in, when you come to this thread you'll see an edit button on your first post; after clicking it, scroll down and you'll be able to delete and then re-upload the updated PDF as an attachment.