Magical Item Compendium

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

Re: Magical Item Compendium

Post by chiisu81 »

Here's r2. Incorporated from what I mentioned above. I think I got all the Iron Falcon>BFRPG rules (movement, AC, etc.) changed over but of course wouldn't hurt for others to double-check. I didn't re-create some of the tables, because I'm lazy and hate formatting tables. :P
Attachments
MI1-Magical-Item-Compendium-r2.odt
(69.56 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
MI1-Magical-Item-Compendium-r2.pdf
(239.14 KiB) Downloaded 329 times
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Chii, thanks for all the extra work!

Here is my take on r2.2, I give it a little format, make the table for the items that required it and combined the Wands into the Rods, Staffs and Wands.
Attachments
MI1-Magical-Item-Compendium-r2.2.odt
(71.39 KiB) Downloaded 315 times
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Thank you for helping with that. 8-) Everything looks good so bumping to r3.
Attachments
MI1-Magical-Item-Compendium-r3.pdf
(241.56 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
MI1-Magical-Item-Compendium-r3.odt
(71.34 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

This looks really good so far. I’ve noticed a few items that are out of order, which I’ll make a list for, and correct.

I’d like to add a few more magic items that are not in Iron Falcon, but are considered “classics” e.g. armor of etherealness, potion of fire-breathing, etc. The question I have is, since these items are used in other games like OSRIC do I need special permission to include them? My gut says they have an OGL, and these aren’t product identity, so there’s no permission needed, but I’m not sure.

I was also wondering if we wanted to include the deck of summoning, or if that should remain separate.
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

From what I recall (it's been years since I've looked at it) OSRIC has a funky license and a lot/most of its content isn't actually Open Content. If it's in the 3.5 SRD, start from there instead.

That being said, unless Solo says otherwise I'd really like to limit porting in existing stuff; this compendium is intended for our own creations.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Actually just checked the OSRIC pdf; chapters 4, 5, & 6 (the latter being treasure) are Product Identity and can't be used. So as mentioned check the 3.5 SRD or other retroclones (if Solo wants to allow any other pre-existing items).
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

That being said, unless Solo says otherwise I'd really like to limit porting in existing stuff; this compendium is intended for our own creations.
I second that. I like the idea of keeping it "original", that said, I'm ok with re-imagination of classical items ;)
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r4 uploaded to first post. Added Deck of Conjuring. Of course I've left the die roll cells blank until we've finalized/stopped taking new entries/cards. For any new entries/cards please post them in that thread (I or whomever will keep an eye on it); let's keep this thread for other new items and feedback on the Compendium itself.
Clever_Munkey

Post by Clever_Munkey »

chiisu81 wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:25 am From what I recall (it's been years since I've looked at it) OSRIC has a funky license and a lot/most of its content isn't actually Open Content. If it's in the 3.5 SRD, start from there instead.

I checked, and found that of the magic items not shared with BFRPG or IF all but 18 in OSRIC have a page on one of the SRDs. Of those 18 most have relatively generic names e.g. crossbow of accuracy or amulet of life protection. Many of those items can be found on non-TTRPG wikis like the Adventure Quest Worlds Wiki. Sweet Water and Javelin of the Raptor strike me as possible product identity, since I couldn't find anything on them. And then there is the odd one called "Ahmek's Copious Coin Purse." This is probably product identity, however "the Copious Coin Purse" is a location in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, so I'm not sure if only "Ahmek" would be considered product identity.

Regardless, after looking at the sheer number of items merging with OSRIC would add, I agree that they would overcrowd the cool ones (aka ours).

Going through the document again, I only noticed 2 things.

1)
Cup, Ivozor's should come after Cube of Force, and before Cup, John Hawk's.

2)
Bartleby's Siege Stone should come before Bartleby's Terrifying Orbs of Doom unless of course they are actually Bartleby's Orbs of Doom, which happen to be called terrifying by everyone, or Bartleby's Orbs of Doom, Terrifying which might imply there are other orbs of doom, that are not terrifying :lol:
Call me Joe. Mr. Munkey is my father.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I'll fix those for r5.