Spell Cards Discussion

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Guyon

Spell Cards Discussion

Post by Guyon »

I would like to start a discussion involving the creation of spell cards for BFRPG.

1. Program: I think that Draw would be better than Writer. I have Libre Office but that should be 100% compatible with OpenOffice since it is the same code.

2. Is this feasible. Some of the spells have a lot of text to fit into a 2.5x3.5 card. Thoughts work bigger cards work?

3. Layout Template: To be discussed later once we set up validation for the project and the program to be used to create the cards.

3a. Card back. Do we need a picture for the card back? If so do you register the image so it can be double side printed? Is that feasible, or worth the time?

4. Volunteers: Do we have anyone that is interested in taking on a spell set? Cleric L2 spells for example.

My biggest concern on this project is the amount of text for some of the spells. Teleport alone is 526 words that also contains a chart! D&D has spell cards so I do not see why we can't either. I just don't want to start a project and then have have it scraped because of poor planning.

Enclosed is a very rough test. As you see the amount of text for a 2.5x3.5 card is very limited.
Attachments
Spell Test.pdf
Spell Card test
(33.94 KiB) Downloaded 633 times
dpelletier05

Re: Spell Cards Disscussion

Post by dpelletier05 »

Hi Guyon,
I am working with Babarock to make monster Cards and We talked about the next step being the spell cards which would be cool to give to new magic users in game.

The size of 2.5 X 3.5 inches is exactly the size we were looking for and I admit that for the spells, I would like to be able to print them in PocketMod format so the magicUser would have a PHYSICAL spellbook to use in game.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1110

It is on the way !
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

@dpelletier05

While the monster cards sounds very cool. I believe that the spell cards would get much more use. Many times in a games in fact, as it keep track of what spells are left to use.
Anyway I am up for helping with the spell cards if you need it!
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

I could see the spell cards getting lots of use in a con. Print up the pregens spellbook and laminate the cards. The player has the cards in hand during play and when he decides to cast the spell, he plunks the card down while describing his action. Be cool if the back of the card has a drawing of the spell effect (like a lightning bolt, a web, or a sun with rays for a light spell).
dpelletier05

Post by dpelletier05 »

Metro : The way I see it, The monster cards are on the way and the card generation process for the monster card will be very similar to the Spell Card process so it should not take long before the Spell Cards are done ;)
Metroknight

Post by Metroknight »

The monster cards idea makes me think of my son's Pokemon cards when he was into it. I'm sure monster cards will turn out great but I think the spell cards might see more use by everyone, player and gm alike.
dpelletier05

Post by dpelletier05 »

Metroknight wrote:The monster cards idea makes me think of my son's Pokemon cards when he was into it. I'm sure monster cards will turn out great but I think the spell cards might see more use by everyone, player and gm alike.
Exactly my first thought... But after thinking about it i thought about the place it will save. Behind the screen...

When the gm prepare his adventure he only need the cards to reference the monsters needed so the rulebook can be put elsewhere. It will be less needed.
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

Here is a prototype version of spell cards:
  • Spell Cards HTML: This HTML version demonstrates how easy it can be to lay out cards in a print format using HTML only, and it's also a good prototype for print-and-play spell cards.
  • Spell Cards XML: This XML can be used to create an "App."
I made both documents by modifying the HTML in the BFRPG SRD, and I didn't edit the text terribly closely, so the XML may need a bit of work, and the HTML may overflow it's container in the case of particularly long spell descriptions...

If it helps, feel free to make use. If not, feel free to ignore.
Dustinian
Guyon

Re: Spell Cards Discussion

Post by Guyon »

I am loving the spell cards! We are getting 2 new players that never tired an PRG game before. Since they will enter as 5th level handling daily spells may get confusing. Playing these cards will definitely make game play easier.

One thought. Wording on the cards are close to the edge. Would a very slight border help? Or is there so much text on some cards that you need to go to the end?

Either way. I LOVE THESE CARDS!!!!!
Sorry for the caps. I am excited for this project.
Guyon

Re: Spell Cards Discussion

Post by Guyon »

Will these cards include extra classes? We have a necromancer playing.

Thanks