Spell Cards Discussion

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dustinian

Re: Spell Cards Discussion

Post by Dustinian »

Solomoriah wrote:Don't take this personally, but XML sucks. I'd use JSON myself, just for the ease of parsing.
Agree, and JSON is more efficient, but XML is so dang readable, even by newbies, that I thought I'd try that format.
Solomoriah wrote:As to DB choices... I'd strongly recommend SQLite3. It's super portable and compatible with my web host (so I could repurpose the data).
I was thinking like .ODB or .ACCDB when I asked the questions, but I'm happy to provide you with a flat file that you can load onto a SQLite3 table. Would you like a .CSV with an accompanying "make table" SQL statement laying out the table for you?
Dustinian
Babarock

Post by Babarock »

I'm sorry, guys. I just dropped out of the conversation as a useful contributor. I'm a graphic artist and a gamer, not a code monkey. I had to grab the text off dustinians XML-based post to create the visuals I posted above.

My strong personal preference is that these cards be made available as a printable PDF download. Double-sided with pretty Basic Fantasy art on the back and pretty fonts and ancient scroll art on the front.

The way that this tool will be made available for digital reference is best left to those who would use it that way. Meanwhile, I stand by to be of assistance in any way my abilities allow.
The Angry Monk

Post by The Angry Monk »

Babarock wrote: My strong personal preference is that these cards be made available as a printable PDF download. Double-sided with pretty Basic Fantasy art on the back and pretty fonts and ancient scroll art on the front.
PDFs would be awesome! That format is also my preference. :mrgreen:
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I can generate PDFs from code; I do it all the time. I just need the artwork (scroll etc.) in high quality format, and the data in a similarly usable form.

Send it on, guys! solomoriah@basicfantasy.org
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dustinian

Post by Dustinian »

Solomoriah wrote:and the data in a similarly usable form.
Attached is the data as a .CSV and an .ODS.

However, what this project really needs is someone with time enough to sit down and wordsmith shortened spell descriptions.

To facilitate this, I've added all the spells to a LibreBase .ODB database. It would be AMAZING if someone could volunteer to:
  1. Download the database.
  2. Open the database with LibreBase.
  3. Go to the "forms" section.
  4. Open frmSpells.
  5. Fill in "page number" and "short description" for all the spells.
  6. Send me that .odb file at dustinian@gmail.com
I created a screenshot of the form that calls out the important areas.

There are only 105 spells to edit down! :shock:

Any takers?
Attachments
spells.ods
BFRPG Spells in a LibreCalc spreadsheet.
(51.04 KiB) Downloaded 408 times
spells.csv
BFRPG Spells in a comma-separated flat file.
(92.61 KiB) Downloaded 404 times
Dustinian
The Angry Monk

Post by The Angry Monk »

Is this something that could be posted to Google Docs? Then several people could collaborate on the editting. I know nothing about databases by the way.
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”
Babarock

Post by Babarock »

Rock and roll, guys! Let 'wordsmith away'. Here's a dropbox link to a folder we can all share and modify. Take caution! Anything you remove or modify in this folder will affect it permanently. I will back it up regularly to avert any mishaps.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k061wtrhmqa4 ... amkna?dl=0

Dustinians raw files are in the base folder, as well as artwork I'm pitching in, and in-process work can be stored in the 'wordsmithy' folder. Lets be sure to keep tabs on 3 factors: 1)Whats not done yet, 2)Whats been 'smithed' and 3)Whats been approved. Solo can take care of that last one.

I have sent share links to Dusty and Chris. Cant find Monks email. Anybody want in, send me a PM or an email. Game on!
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

Babarock wrote:Lets be sure to keep tabs on 3 factors: 1)Whats not done yet, 2)Whats been 'smithed' and 3)Whats been approved. !
I was going to suggest people sign up for small chunks, for example MU L1 spells. So that two people are not working on the same thing. Also it would be nice for the chunk to be done within a week. If whoever is working on the "Completed List" would like to add a "Sign Up" List I would like to help add spell lists.

Maybe someone would be kind enough to volunteer to be the project editor and they tweak each "Completed List" and stamp it "Approved"

I hope that the additions classes was slotted to be added to this project like Necromancer.
Guyon

Post by Guyon »

Glancing at the drop box I am a little confused on what to do. I just see the pictures and the spell list spread sheet. Why do we also have comma separated cvs file?

Also how can you determine how much to write without a stated font size? Maybe we need a tutorial?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I think it's still a matter for discussion.

We need shorter descriptions; after we have them, we can figure out what size of font we can get away with.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org