CS1 Castle by the Sea

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
AlMan

Re: Castle by the Sea

Post by AlMan »

<Chop> <Chop> <Chop> [Panel breaks out of door and a hideous face looks through and says] Heeeeerrrrrrreeeesssss AlMan! :D

I downloaded R6 and came up with this list of corrections for CS1.

pg 1
The space between Introduction and The Adventures needs a line to help separate them, on more than one occasion I went from the line, "What to do?" to "The Adventures…" and then down to "makes this an attractive invitation, as he might" to "Forum user Dustinian donated money..." by putting a line between the sections readers will know to move to the top of the second column and have it make sense.

Caer Mortling

Pg 3 - 2. Foyer - First Text Box
Its vaulted ceiling rises up about 20 feet above you.

should be

Its vaulted ceiling rises about 20 feet above you.

"Rises up" is redundant.

pg 4 - 6. Locked Storage - second paragraph

Ring of Sustenance - This isn't a known ring (not in the other BFRPG Core books: Rules, Field Guide, BF1, BF2, JN1, JN2, JN3, AA1, or DC1) May want to get details from Joe Hankel, Clever Munkey to put into a New Magic Items section. Please, let me know if I missed the ring from some where else.

pg 7 - This page is blank may need to see if there are extra line breaks that are making this page show up.

Castle of the Unknown

pg 9 – 1. Bridge – Text box paragraph 2

“As you draw closer, you see that road ends in a bridge which crosses a moat surrounding the castle.”

Should be

“As you draw closer, you see the road ends in a bridge which crosses a moat surrounding the castle.”

pg 14 – 17. Statuary

The HP of the second Iron Living Statue says 21 there are 24 boxes.

Conclave at the Conch Throne

pg 21 – 10. Left Rook Chamber (Pearls of Wisdom)

Says to use each pearl once, there are six pearls and the possibility of 8 players. Should there be two more pearls?

Pg 24 – 21. South West Tower, Upper – Description paragraph

“Anyone on this tower will be attacked by the Moira Morcha, the manticore, from area 18.”

Should be

“Anyone on this tower will be attacked by Moira Morcha, the manticore, from area 18.”

Pg 24 – 22. North West Tower, Upper – Description paragraph

“Anyone on this tower will be attacked by the Moira Morcha, the manticore, from area 18.”

Should be

“Anyone on this tower will be attacked by Moira Morcha, the manticore, from area 18.”

Fortress of the Barbarian Queen

pg 26 – Notes on the Castle – Wandering Monsters

There are several wandering monsters, but they haven’t been given any stats.

pg 29 – 12. Staircase – second paragraph

“The barbarians have set the stars with a rolling barrel trap.”

Should be

“The barbarians have set the stairs with a rolling barrel trap.”

Castle Under the Sea

pg 36 – 17. East Hall – 6 Locathah with spears:

For each set of boxes two are missing.

Call of Doom

pg 38 – What’s going on here? 3rd paragraph
“By some perverse gift of the god of undead, t can cast the spells it knew in life,…”

Should be

“By some perverse gift of the god of the undead, it can cast the spells it knew in life,…”

Open Game License

pg 49 – 15 Copyright Notice

May need to include copyright notice for the Barbarian Supplement since it was mentioned in “Fortress of the Barbarian Queen”
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solo, I ran some youthful individuals through Call of Doom. While we had a rash of really bad rolls (good thing I did not get into crits and fumbles), I did find the overall difficulty of the combats they encountered a tad tough... and I set all the levels to approximately 3rd level (each had 7000 xp to start). And, we did not even get to a follow-up battle where the Skeletaire rounds up recruits upstairs.

Point being, while some groups are quite good with tactics, I just don't see how a first level group could even remotely get through the encounters as currently written.
You might adjust the stated difficulty to 2nd to 4th level based upon the proficiency of the assembled group or the overall number of players?

Another little thing I noticed. The Skeletaire is listed as being in the Zombraire's Study on second floor, which probably ought to be modified to "Skeletaire's Study" instead. Probably originally developed with a Zombraire BBEG, then subsequently modified to Skeletaire afterwards.

The group I brought through this adventure were quite excited to be effectively playtesting a very new adventure for the author of the game and an adventure written by the "author". kukos to you - they loved it.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hmm. I'll review it. The group I playtested with were random strangers at a convention, and they were not exactly organized, but they handled it pretty easily.

I'll correct that bit about the Zombraire's study. Thanks!

If your players (and their parents, since you say they are minors) are willing, I'll include their names in the playtester credits. Email me those who should appear. You get added also, of course.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, I bumped the level range to 1-4. I'm loathe to exclude 1st level characters outright, given that a group of 6 characters of 2nd level dealt with the adventure handily.

I'm going to hold off publishing a new release until I have a few more changes in it.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I didn't record names of the participants; we just sit down and exchanged first names and got busy. That said, perhaps you can just point at the CON event... "playtested at the GameCon Colorado Springs - http://www.gamebewithyou.org" or something similar.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

AlMan wrote:<Chop> <Chop> <Chop> [Panel breaks out of door and a hideous face looks through and says] Heeeeerrrrrrreeeesssss AlMan! :D

I downloaded R6 and came up with this list of corrections for CS1.

pg 1
The space between Introduction and The Adventures needs a line to help separate them, on more than one occasion I went from the line, "What to do?" to "The Adventures…" and then down to "makes this an attractive invitation, as he might" to "Forum user Dustinian donated money..." by putting a line between the sections readers will know to move to the top of the second column and have it make sense.
Done, as suggested.
AlMan wrote:Caer Mortling

Pg 3 - 2. Foyer - First Text Box
Its vaulted ceiling rises up about 20 feet above you.

should be

Its vaulted ceiling rises about 20 feet above you.

"Rises up" is redundant.
Fixed.
AlMan wrote:pg 4 - 6. Locked Storage - second paragraph

Ring of Sustenance - This isn't a known ring (not in the other BFRPG Core books: Rules, Field Guide, BF1, BF2, JN1, JN2, JN3, AA1, or DC1) May want to get details from Joe Hankel, Clever Munkey to put into a New Magic Items section. Please, let me know if I missed the ring from some where else.
Munkey, are you with us? Where did you get that item? I didn't notice it in my review, which is my problem obviously.

Ack, never mind. It's in the SRD... we can add it without needing to change the OGL.
AlMan wrote:pg 7 - This page is blank may need to see if there are extra line breaks that are making this page show up.
Don't worry about layout issues; I'll attend to them in the final stages of production. When I get there, that's when I'll be asking everyone to look at the layout.
AlMan wrote:Castle of the Unknown

“As you draw closer, you see that road ends in a bridge which crosses a moat surrounding the castle.”

Should be

“As you draw closer, you see the road ends in a bridge which crosses a moat surrounding the castle.”
Regardless of "correctness," "that the" is common American usage. Of course, the original text is missing the "the" and thus is still wrong. Good catch, I read right over it and didn't notice.
AlMan wrote:pg 14 – 17. Statuary

The HP of the second Iron Living Statue says 21 there are 24 boxes.
Fixed.
AlMan wrote:Conclave at the Conch Throne

pg 21 – 10. Left Rook Chamber (Pearls of Wisdom)

Says to use each pearl once, there are six pearls and the possibility of 8 players. Should there be two more pearls?
Yes. Anyone have suggestions for two more?
AlMan wrote:Pg 24 – 21. South West Tower, Upper – Description paragraph

Should be

Fixed. Also made quite a few small changes to sort out some rather major layout issues. Still may have paragraphs that are not properly styled, but I'll find them in another pass.

I'll attend to the rest of this (what is below this line) later.
----------------------
AlMan wrote:Pg 24 – 22. North West Tower, Upper – Description paragraph

Should be

Fortress of the Barbarian Queen

pg 29 – 12. Staircase – second paragraph

Should be

Castle Under the Sea

Call of Doom

“By some perverse gift of the god of undead, t can cast the spells it knew in life,…”

Should be

“By some perverse gift of the god of the undead, it can cast the spells it knew in life,…”

Open Game License

May need to include copyright notice for the Barbarian Supplement since it was mentioned in “Fortress of the Barbarian Queen”
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

AlMan wrote:Pg 24 – 22. North West Tower, Upper – Description paragraph

Should be

Fixed.
AlMan wrote:Fortress of the Barbarian Queen

Hmm. Detailing wandering monsters isn't a requirement, but it would be nice. I have to say, though, that Wererats wandering around in there might be the sort of problem that the barbarians would have to remove for their own good; likewise the shadows and wights. I mean, do YOU want to live upstairs from those sorts of critters?

Perhaps we need to give this issue some consideration.
AlMan wrote:pg 29 – 12. Staircase – second paragraph

Should be

Hah. Good catch.

... and now I read that. EGAD. A large barrel containing solid lead? According to this site:

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/de ... slead.html

... lead weighs 707.9 pounds per cubic foot. Assuming a "large barrel" is equivalent to a 50 gallon drum (about 6.68 cubic feet), that's about 4,729 pounds, or a bit less than 2.4 TONS. I suspect such a monster rolling down a staircase might do more than 1d4 points of damage.

In other words, this needs consideration also.

I'll come back and finish this later.
------------------
AlMan wrote:Castle Under the Sea

Call of Doom

Should be

Open Game License

AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Solomoriah wrote:
AlMan wrote:pg 7 - This page is blank may need to see if there are extra line breaks that are making this page show up.
Don't worry about layout issues; I'll attend to them in the final stages of production. When I get there, that's when I'll be asking everyone to look at the layout.
OK, I just wanted to remember it for when we get to that point.
Solomoriah wrote:
AlMan wrote:Castle of the Unknown

Should be

Regardless of "correctness," "that the" is common American usage. Of course, the original text is missing the "the" and thus is still wrong. Good catch, I read right over it and didn't notice.
Of course the editing book I follow is "Strunk and White" which says don't use two words when one will do. :)
teaman

Re: CS1 Castle by the Sea

Post by teaman »

Hoping that it is not too late to contribute this image for Castle by the Sea (Chiisu said it might be okay). It's for the mermaid room.

Teaman is the sole proprietor of Sharp Mountain Games at roll20 and DTRPG

https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/p ... tain-games
http://drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8418 ... tain-Games
chiisu81

Re: CS1 Castle by the Sea

Post by chiisu81 »

Looks good as always! :) Be sure to email 300-dpi version to Solo.