New Character Sheets!

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Babarock

Re: New Character Sheets!

Post by Babarock »

I would have all the ability scores in the left box and all the bonuses on the right.
Thanks for the feedback Mr. Monk! I get it. I tried to alternate the attribute box design, originally intending for them to be 'interlocked'. This required some geometry and ultimately led to the 'big on the left then big on the right' layout. To tell you the truth, it still bugs me a little too. I will find a way to preserve the look and get all the attributes on one side and all the bonuses on the other.

I had an alternate idea that got scrapped (shown below). Maybe I'll just return to that and scrap the "medieval billboard" look.

The Angry Monk

Post by The Angry Monk »

Babarock wrote:
I would have all the ability scores in the left box and all the bonuses on the right.
Thanks for the feedback Mr. Monk! I get it. I tried to alternate the attribute box design, originally intending for them to be 'interlocked'. This required some geometry and ultimately led to the 'big on the left then big on the right' layout. To tell you the truth, it still bugs me a little too. I will find a way to preserve the look and get all the attributes on one side and all the bonuses on the other.

I had an alternate idea that got scrapped (shown below). Maybe I'll just return to that and scrap the "medieval billboard" look.

No problem with the feedback. I see what you mean with the interlocking. The more I look at your sheet the more I love it. I did a little modification with MS Paint and just put the Scores on one side and the Bonuses on the other. Thanks again for sharing.
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”
Omote

Post by Omote »

Awesome looking sheet babarock. I've always like the artistic, hand-drawn style of character sheet. Most in that style look good, but are frequently not so practical for use in play. So far, yours seems to buck that trend. I like it quite a bit.

My only minor issues with your sheets so far is the lack of space for equipment. personally, I tend to write a lot of my even minor equipment down and that takes up some room. I also put a lot of detail into the weapons my characters carry, and what my players need to know about their weapons.

Minor issues of my own necessity, in no way meant to distract from your beautiful sheets!

~O
Babarock

Post by Babarock »

Thanks, Omote! To address your thought:
My only minor issues with your sheets so far is the lack of space for equipment. personally, I tend to write a lot of my even minor equipment down and that takes up some room. I also put a lot of detail into the weapons my characters carry, and what my players need to know about their weapons.
I understand. One thing that bugs me about a lot of sheets is the columns of empty space for minutia. This is BASIC Fantasy, after all, and there's only so much room on a single page (my pathfinder character has a ridiculous binder with about 15 pages of detail and reference). The equipment section is designed to reflect the contents of a characters backpack (as illustrated). I figure that a backpack can only hold so much and that the limited space encourages a player to be conservative with their items and encumbrance (no 10 foot poles here).

I guess it comes down, ultimately, to a trade between aesthetics and written detail. Finding the balance is a continual struggle to which many a gaming artist has taken a stab. In this case, I could reduce the art and make more lines, or simple squeeze them together forcing the player to write smaller, but I'm a wounded Pathfinder refugee looking to return to my roots and Basic Fantasy is the medicine I need. The Basic-er, the better! :lol:

I will try to get more from the weapons section, though. Thanks again!
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

That's why I've started to prefer sheets that have a 2nd page; there the player can note any additional equipment, treasure, background notes, counters and notable locations and NPCs, etc.
Babarock

Post by Babarock »

After much deliberation and playtesting, as well as the advisement of every sage to visit and post on this thread, I have prepared a revision to the original character sheet which I think will be much more effective and universal.

I use a customized and simple 'ability check' mechanic in my games, which explains the 3rd number attached to each attribute in the original version. Although I still have a version of this sheet that includes the 3rd number, I have removed it from the 'public release' document in honor of the fact that Basic Fantasy doesn't use an ability check or skill roll per se' outside of the optional rule.

Any more comments, criticisms, ideas and requests are most welcome. I'm trying to create the impossible: a perfect character sheet.
SIDE 1 in display resolution
SIDE 1 in display resolution
Master Character Sheet rev1 page1.jpg (143.44 KiB) Viewed 5116 times
SIDE 2 in display resolution
SIDE 2 in display resolution
Master Character Sheet rev1 page2.jpg (125.28 KiB) Viewed 5118 times
Here is the print resolution 2page PDF:
Master Character Sheet rev1.pdf
(6.78 MiB) Downloaded 487 times
The Angry Monk

Post by The Angry Monk »

Va-va-va-voom! Me likes, me likes! Thank you, Babarock! 8-)
“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”