The Fane at Mount Shanaz

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
chiisu81

The Fane at Mount Shanaz

Post Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:13 am

Alrighty starting work on the third and final(?) adventure for my Gulshan Island series. As with the first two I thank Keith and Martin for their contributions!
I like to point out spelling mistakes and post GIFs.
Adventure Template | Style Guide
My works on Showcase
chiisu81

Re: The Fane at Mount Shanaz

Post Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:04 am

Added revised maps from Martin, fixed margins.
My works on Showcase
chiisu81

Post Wed Oct 07, 2015 4:04 pm

r2 uploaded; a few rooms detailed.
My works on Showcase
chiisu81

Post Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:20 pm

r4 uploaded, laying a little more foundation. Getting the initial prep done, but will likely need to wrap up my other adventures and then I can fully dive into this.
My works on Showcase
chiisu81

Post Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:24 am

r6 uploaded.
My works on Showcase
jdn2006

Post Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:34 am

Based on the pdf of release 6.

Page 1:

You can play this Basic Fantasy Role-Playing Game Adventure on its own or as a continuation of the adventures The Temple at Hillman Point and The Reclamation of Castle Devyn which take place on the same island.

"No surprise that a group of you would show up, with all of the unexplained the [remove 'the'?] troubles we've been having."

More troubling have been the most recent appearances of scratches and markings on people's doors. [What if the players ask what kind of "scratches and markings"? Made by animals clawing the doors? What if they go looking to see if any strange symbols have been scratched on the doors? Are any foot prints in the ground near/at the doors?]

Page 2:
"Cyril will tell the party that things are still not right around Locran, and even those traveling other parts of the island have reported increasing troubles."

To me, this reads as redundant considering ... "Yet, problems are still increasing on the island and people are worried."

Cyril Ketill (Human Male Fighter 10)
Shouldn't damage be 1d10+2 with 2-handed sword and strength bonus of 2?
What value is the ring of protection and how does it fit into Cyril's armor class: Plate Mail = AC 17 - 1 for low dexterity = 16, is it a +3 ring of protection?

Page 3:
Dire Wolves Mv 50'
Chimera HD 9**(+8)
Giant, Stone HD 9 (+8)

Page 4:
Lycanthrope, Wereboare HD 4*

Page 5:
Saladmander, Flame HD 8(double dagger)
Purple Worm HD 11 (+8)
Scorpion HD 4*
Caecilia, Giant HD 6*
Basilisk HD 6**

Page 6: Some sort of note such as...
A giant Shield Guardian (found in the Basic Fantasy Field Guide of Creatures Malevolent and Benign) is hoisting boulders and throwing them...

Page 7: The following includes questions I found myself asking while reading through it by room number.

2. Receiving Hall: Are the curtain's and stands "frozen in place by some mysterious force" as it were? After reading the description of 4 I realized that "the curtain's and stands must be something like [are protected against pilfering and damage by a strong magical force. The curtains can be opened but not torn down or damaged whilst the stands are frozen immobile in place.]"

3. GRAND HALL: "At the back of the hall are very wide and deep stairs leading down. In contrast to the hall there is no light here." [Does that mean "The stairs are not lit."?]

4. Inquisition Room: Numerous chains and boards of wood are bolted to the wall. [Which wall(s) are they on?]

5. Butcher Room: [What are the curtains shown on the map? Ragged and blood smeared? Clean and protected as in the "2. Receiving Hall", assuming those in the receiving hall are porotected?]

6. Feasting Room: [the room isn't lit unless I missed it, and thus the comment "There isn't any light showing the way." may not be needed.

7. Library: [I would have made a note about what the books were: example, most are old, common religious tomes, long but not necessarily accurate treatises on science subjects, nothing of particular interest to the player characters, etc.]

8. Kitchen: There are two narrow [curtained entry ways] into this shallow but long space.

Are the fires of the oven and firepit lit, warm coals, old and cold ash, etc. Or do you care?

Maybe add some spices in bags, wooden/glass/ceramic/silver pots, unground pepper corns, old moldy garlic, etc. for a little more scenery. A bag of ground pepper might be handy for the players ("I rip open the bag of pepper and hurl it at the guard dogs/guards!") Cooking pots and pans hanging on pegs on the walls.

9. Entertainment Room: There are a few broken chairs
and smashed instruments of various materials [sitting on/littering/cluttering the rotten/sturdy floor of the stage]. Is the stage a wooden platform and if so what might be found by looking underneath it?

11a. Confessional: this [capital T]

11b. Confessional: similar [capital S]

Page 8:

1 Stone Golem HD 14** (+11)

14. The Works of Sana Francesca: Each painting [depicts] one of the four elements [in lurid detail]:

Perhaps: When someone approaches within 3 feet of a painting it "springs to life" and animates the intended subject complete with sound effects and smells of: a smokey fire crackling/roaring; wet water rushing and crashing upon itself in waves; wind blowing with a rustling/whistling intensity; soil/sand shifting with stones clashing.
chiisu81

Post Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:14 pm

JD, thanks for all the corrections and suggestions! :) I'll be working more on it this weekend, will work on everything you've pointed out.
My works on Showcase
AlCook

Post Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:42 pm

Hey Chii, need any art for this one?
chiisu81

Post Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:52 pm

Thank you Al, I would gladly welcome art for this, and/or the completed Castle Devyn.
My works on Showcase
chiisu81

Post Sun May 01, 2016 6:40 pm

r7 uploaded; still got a bit of ways to go with filling out room details, and currently choosing which monsters to use.
My works on Showcase