Combat Options Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
artikid

Re: Combat Options Supplement

Post by artikid »

New release
cheers
artikid

EDIT: LAST RELEASE IN LATER POST
Last edited by artikid on Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Sacrifice = 'Wait I gotta stop the fight and find a live chicken.."
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
artikid

Post by artikid »

unless I messed up the files this version should use 'spend' instead of 'sacrifice', doesn't it?
artikid

Post by artikid »

A few new thoughts:
1.Maybe shield-bash and shield specialization should be separate (so shield spec could work more like weapon spec).
2.This should probably be the place where we discuss non-standard stuff like trips, disarms and other called shots (always in a basic way like: you roll to hit and the targets rolls a ST)
artikid

Post by artikid »

Latest release
Attachments
BF-Combat-Options-Supplement-r2.odt
(27.43 KiB) Downloaded 405 times
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I just got around to inspecting this latest draft.

While the mounted combat is pretty well thought out, the Jousting subsection is untested. It likely needs some review and perhaps someone do a little play-testing with the ideas there.

I think the two-handed grip mechanic is sound as long as it is applied across the board (including humanoid monsters) but as discussed in other threads, that becomes one of those things that changes the core rules (if only slightly in this case). Still, I think it could be represented here (being the most appropriate place for such), but with perhaps a little bit more or stronger disclaimer of its Optional-ness.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Joe the Rat

Post by Joe the Rat »

I'll need to update some of my notes in weapons.

Are there any problems with using light weapons and two-weapons together? It's a double-dip on dexterity, which is something I'm always cautious about.
Go with a smile!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Here are my comments:

1. Shield specialization: Needs its own table, detailing how many levels can be applied to a shield. As it reads now, it's not clear if the fighter can take more than one level of shield spec, nor what the bonus should be if he does take two, for instance. If you're only allowing one level, you should give the bonus as a literal +1 and leave it at that.

2. Weapon specialization bonus to AB should apply to using an offhand weapon to defend. While there may be theoretical balance issues with this, I doubt it will matter much since few characters will specialize in an offhand weapon (unless it's someone who chooses to fight with two daggers, which might be kind of cool).

3. Mounted combat: All bonuses from fighting while mounted should be void if a proper saddle with stirrups is not in service. A horse, or similar animal, is a very precarious place to sit without stirrups.

... more later, must work now.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

I agree on Mounted Combat. How does this phrasing work?

"If no saddle equipment is used, then no Strength and/or Dexterity Bonuses shall apply due to the difficulty in maintaining one's positioning, however, any such penalties from low scores (STR/DEX) shall apply normally."

and, I have no problem with specialization bonuses offsetting or even superseding the penalties of two-weapon fighting.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

What I mean is, you can neither gain a charging bonus nor set against charge if not so equipped.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org