[AA3] The Mystery of Drakestein Island

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
AlMan

Re: The Mystery of Drakestein Island

Post by AlMan »

Corrections for version 3
The Mystery of Drakestein Island Corrections

Page 2 and 3 – Can the Fishmen be replaced with Sahuagin from the Field Guide? Could the added description of champions and chieftains be ported to the Sahuagin description in the Field Guide?

Page 4 – Hobgoblin stats
All the stats contain the weapon name in the damage area. The other adventures have the weapon name in the Attack area. Make sure to specify the type of sword as a scimitar or longsword since it matches the amount of damage.
Example:
Currently:
2 Hobgoblins: AC 14, HD 1, #At 1 weapon, Dam 1d8 (sword/crossbow), Mv 30’, Sv F1, Ml 8
Suggest:
2 Hobgoblins: AC 14, HD 1, #At 1 scimitar/heavy crossbow, Dam 1d8 , Mv 30’, Sv F1, Ml 8

Page 4 – 10. Scrub:
Currently:
If the party travels through the scrub they will encounter (Roll 1d4):
Suggest:
If the party travels through the scrub check for an encounter every 6 turns. An encounter will happen on a roll of 1 on d6, if an encounter is indicated, roll 1d4 to determine the type of encounter below:

Page 5 – 11. Moorland
Currently:
If the party travels across the moorland they will encounter (Roll 1d4):
Suggest:
If the party travels through the moorland check for an encounter every 6 turns. An encounter will happen on a roll of 1 on d6, if an encounter is indicated, roll 1d4 to determine the type of encounter below:

Page 5 – Fishmen stats
All the stats contain the weapon name in the damage area. The other adventures have the weapon name in the Attack area. Spelling of short sword.
Currently:
3 Fishmen: AC 15, HD 2, #At 1 weapon, Dam 1d8/1d6 (Trident)/1d6 (Short Sword), Mv 30’ Swim 50’, Sv F2, Ml 8
Suggest:
3 Fishmen: AC 15, HD 2, #At 1 trident/shortsword, Dam 1d8/1d6, Mv 30’ Swim 50’, Sv F2, Ml 8

Page 6 – Fishmen and Fishman Champion stats
All the stats contain the weapon name in the damage area. The other adventures have the weapon name in the Attack area. Spelling of short sword.
Currently:
5 Fishmen Guards: AC 15, HD 2, #At 1 weapon, Dam 1d8/1d6 (trident)/1d6 (short sword), Mv 30’ Swim 50’, Sv F2, Ml 8
Suggest:
5 Fishmen Guards: AC 15, HD 2, #At 1 trident/shortsword, Dam 1d8/1d6, Mv 30’ Swim 50’, Sv F2, Ml 8

Currently:
1 Fishmen Champion: AC 15, HD 3, #At 1 weapon, Dam 1d8/1d6 (trident)/1d6 (short sword), Mv 30’ Swim 50’, Sv F3, Ml 10
Suggest
1 Fishmen Champion: AC 15, HD 3, #At 1 trident/shortsword, Dam 1d8/1d6, Mv 30’ Swim 50’, Sv F3, Ml 10

Page 7 – 16. Crastar’s Private Chamber – Equipment list
Dagger +2 needs to be bolded since it is an enchanted item.

Page 10 – paragraph 1
Several spelling errors to be consistent with Core Rules spelling.
Currently:
Were-rat
Suggest:
Wererat
also several instances of rat man should be ratman

Page 10 – 25. Sleeping Cave paragraph 1 and the note
spelling consistancy
Currently:
fish men
Suggest:
fishmen

Page 10 – Fishmen stats
Currently:
4 Fishmen: AC 15, HD 2, #At 1 weapon, Dam 1d8/1d6 (Trident)/1d6 (Short Sword), Mv 30’ Swim 50’, Sv F2, Ml 8
Suggest:
4 Fishmen: AC 15, HD 2, #At 1 trident/shortsword, Dam 1d8/1d6, Mv 30’ Swim 50’, Sv F2, Ml 8

Page 11 – Fishmen stats
Currently:
2 Fishmen: AC 15, HD 2, #At 1 weapon, Dam 1d8/1d6 (Trident)/1d6 (Short Sword), Mv 30’ Swim 50’, Sv F2, Ml 8
Suggest:
2 Fishmen: AC 15, HD 2, #At 1 trident/shortsword, Dam 1d8/1d6, Mv 30’ Swim 50’, Sv F2, Ml 8

Page 11 – 29. Guard Room – Note
Spelling consistency with Core Rules
Current:
If the fishmen surprise the party, they will throw their tridents then draw their short swords.
Suggest:
If the fishmen surprise the party, they will throw their tridents then draw their shortswords.
Page 12 – Fishmen and Fishman Chieftain stats
Currently:
5 Fishmen Guards: AC 15, HD 2, #At 1 weapon, Dam 1d8/1d6 (trident)/1d6 (short sword), Mv 30’ Swim 50’, Sv F2, Ml 8
Suggest:
5 Fishmen Guards: AC 15, HD 2, #At 1 trident/shortsword, Dam 1d8/1d6, Mv 30’ Swim 50’, Sv F2, Ml 8

Currently:
1 Fishmen Champion: AC 15, HD 3, #At 1 weapon, Dam 1d8/1d6 (trident)/1d6 (short sword), Mv 30’ Swim 50’, Sv F3, Ml 10
Suggest
Fishmen Chieftain: AC 17, HD 4, #At 1 trident/shortsword, Dam 1d8/1d6, Mv 30’ Swim 50’, Sv F1, Ml 11

Also note that there are only HP boxes for four fishmen instead of the five listed.

Page 12 to page 13
Remove the page break after the bass description to allow the rest of page 12 to be filled out.

Page 24 – OGL
Include reference to BFRPG Field Guide and Fire Mountain
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

And update the proofing credits too.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Thank you Al! R4 uploaded to first post.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

R5 uploaded to first post.
Snarkythekobold

Re: Newbie questions

Post by Snarkythekobold »

Moved to this thread by chiisu81
I did not want to start a new thread and so I thought I would ask it here.

Has anyone played the "The Mystery of Drakestein Island" module that is on this site? My group recently loved playing an outdoor module (not crazy about dungeon crawls) and were wanting to play another. But the module does not say anything about how many can play or what level the characters need to be.

Could anyone give me estimate about the proper number of players and the levels needed?

Thanks
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

There's quite a range of monster HD's in this one (while obviously not all are intended to be battled). I'll let others throw out some suggested PC number and level ranges, but we also may need to adjust/change some encounters.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

r6 uploaded to first post. Thanks to AlMan! 8-)
Snarkythekobold

Re: [AA3] The Mystery of Drakestein Island

Post by Snarkythekobold »

I am really glad to see this module potentially being published/ going in an anthology collection.

My group played through it a while back and we loved it.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

Here is what I did to get this going again.

Put into newer Adventure Template.

Provided an Introduction for the first page of the module that didn’t involve the Introduction in the actual module.

Americanized spelling of words: grey to gray

I'll need to give it another close editing pass.

We may also want to note that Fire Mountain was the first module that John Dutton submitted and that Mystery of Drakestein Island is the second. Wulfric's Tomb which was included in AA2 is actually the third module of the series.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

I think I put this into my list of edits, but it should be a question of its own.

Should we replace the Fishmen with Locathah, Sahuagin from Field Guide 1 or Common Deep Ones from Field Guide 2? Or do we want to keep what John wrote and put the Fishmen into Field Guide 3?