New Spells Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: New Spells Supplement

Post by Dimirag »

I was expecting something less powerful, something like:

Profile Magic (V1)
Range: Touch
Duration: Special
By means of this spell a caster can know every and all magical properties of a specific object.
The caster must be touching the object for the whole spell duration, failure to do so will immediately end the spell. For every full Turn spend touching the object one property will be learned

Profile Magic (V2)
Range: Touch
Duration: 1d6 Turns
By means of this spell a caster can know every and all magical properties of a specific object.
The caster must be touching the object for the whole spell duration, during this time the caster will enter a trance-type state. Once the spell ends the caster will have the knowledge of the object's special properties. Failure to keep concentration or touching the object will end the spell with a 100 - level x2 - INT score that no knowledge is acquired
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
daryen

Post by daryen »

I was originally going to make it "touch" and limit it to a single object per casting.

However, the reason for the range (which is still only 5 feet) is because it needs to apply to people and places, too. Also, the 5 range matches the underlying Analyze Magic. So the range shouldn't be a deal breaker. That said, I can change it back to touch if it is that important.

I did the "one item/person/place" per round because that is what the spell I was copying had. I really don't mind pulling it back to one item/person/place per casting of the spell and just make the duration for 1 round. I'm good if that is what is needed.

And, in addition, don't forget that this is a sixth level spell. It is *supposed* to be powerful and good as it is very hard to get and cast.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

My bad on the distance, I don't know if it should work on people tho.

Don't get stuck to much on the copying process, make each spell their own and not a mirror of another edition, change what needs to be changed, I think 1 object or area per casting is a better choice.

I know what level it is, but finally it should be correct for the game and not just for its level, some end level spell may be "weaker" compared to other editions, but that makes magic more valuable in a sense.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
daryen

Post by daryen »

Yeah, I'm still working through some of those finer points. And don't worry; I am trying to not just copy, but instead style them for BFRPG. Wait until you see the Illusionist spells. Those were really worked over!

I'll knock it down to one thing per casting. It does need to be more than just items though, as Analyze Magic does so.
daryen

Post by daryen »

Just occurred to me: I can rename Analyze Dweomer to Analyze Enchantment instead of Reveal Magic or whatever. Anyway, just trying to decide on a new name. I have made it work on only one item though and upped the duration to a minute. (I figure it should take a whole minute to figure out what something is/does.)
daryen

Post by daryen »

Ran into an interesting case I need guidance on.

The original Necromancer Supplement included 0-level spells and seventh level spells. Both were removed and sent to their appropriate Supplements, with the seventh level spells coming to New Spells. One of those seventh level spells is called Call Horseman. It is a rather wordy spell, but it fundamentally boils down to "summons a headless horseman". The Headless Horseman monster entry is in FG1. The general point of any of these Supplements is to be self-standing, so should I:
1) Just make a direct reference to the Field Guide 1.
2) Include the Headless Horseman entry in New Spells.
3) Delete the spell (sending it eventually into Libram Magica) and replace it with something else here.
I plan on doing #1, but I want to make sure that is the correct choice.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Direct reference. No point in duplication here. Monsters are more "optional" than classes are, so it's the right way around.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
daryen

Post by daryen »

Almost done with it. Hopefully, it passes scrutiny. Also, any adjustments can cascade out if it is a reused spell (a new one from Illusionist or Necromancer).

Also, I want to add one extra generic spell, unless it isn't being included on purpose:
- Tongues (3rd level): Available to everyone but Druids (C, MU, I, N, S). For the duration of the spell (dunno 1 turn/level?) the spell recipient can understand and speak (but not read) any language. They can obviously only speak one language at a time, but can understand any at once. (Depending on the interpretation, they may not even know that they are all different languages.) Was going to include the Read Languages limitation that knowledge of the language has to currently exist; dead languages are not covered.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm good with that, except:
Was going to include the Read Languages limitation that knowledge of the language has to currently exist; dead languages are not covered.
If no one speaks the language, what's the point of speaking it?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Seven

Post by Seven »

So, is there a spell that can be used to read truly dead language inscriptions?

Commune?