New Spells Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
daryen

Re: New Spells Supplement

Post by daryen »

Seven wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 6:42 am So, is there a spell that can be used to read truly dead language inscriptions?
No, there isn't. And, in my opinion, there shouldn't be.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I agree. I wrote Read Languages the way I did to allow for "dead language" puzzles that would be too quickly and easily solved otherwise.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
daryen

Post by daryen »

OK ...

I have submitted my proposal for the new New Spells Supplement. I can't give a line-by-line description, as that would just duplicate the document. Here is what I did:
- I added the seventh level spells described in the prior discussions for all Core and Downloads classes: Cleric, Druid, Magic-User, Illusionist, Necromancer, Spellcrafter.
- I added the brand new spells described in the prior discussions for Core and Downloads classes.
- I added the three planar spells described in the prior discussions for some Core and Downloads classes.
- (Big one) I made sure that every one of the Core and Downloads classes get access to 16 additional spells. These spells can be the new spells mentioned above, or already defined spells from somewhere else. So the absolute number of new spells doesn't increase above the above mentioned spells, but everyone expands their spell list by 16 spells.
- Note that these 16 additional spells do not include the planar spells. Since those spells are so setting dependent, I didn't include them in the 16. This means the listed number of additional spells for each class can range from 19 (for the Cleric that gets all three planar spells) down to 16 (for the Druid and Necromancer who get no planar spells).

I have included too many page breaks so that things are separated for review. It is expected that when formatted the unneeded page breaks will simply be removed.

I have included some "author's notes to the reviewers". I expect these to be removed, too.

I have included two new sets of tables. One set of tables lists the additional spells for each class. These new tables are needed because some of the classes' additional spells are from the Core Rules, so this is where they are referenced. The last new table is an exhausted list of all spells mentioned in the document in alphabetical order with columns detailing who casts what spell. I don't know if it will survive to the final document, but it is primarily there to assist the reviewers in double-checking everything. (I am sure I screwed *something* up.)
daryen

Post by daryen »

One minor note ...

In the list of New Lower Level Spells for Magic-Users, there are five spells that are noted with an asterisk in the spell level column. I meant to delete them, but forgot. What they note are the original five new spells for Magic-Users in the document I used as the source. They were to make sure I didn't do anything to them when formulating what to include or not.

They don't hurt anything by being there, but I wanted to note what the asterisks were used for in case anyone wondered.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Hmm. Those ought to be removed, then, right?
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
daryen

Post by daryen »

Yes, please. Just those five asterisks.
daryen

Post by daryen »

OK, I have been making a "master spell list" to support my efforts on Libram Magica and have found a couple of mistakes (to be clear: my mistakes) in New Spells. I will submit an r8 in a day or so to cover them. As part of that, I will be sure to remove those asterisks mentioned above.

After that, I will submit the master spell list on its own, if anyone thinks it would be useful.
Seven

Post by Seven »

Yes. It sounds like the spells supplements should be stable for a while after that.
daryen

Post by daryen »

OK, that was quicker than I thought.

Here are the changes I made:
1) I removed the spurious asterisks from the Magic-User lower spells list.
2) I changed the spell level for Cure Deafness from 1st level to 3rd level. It is supposed to be a companion spell to Cure Blindness, and Cure Blindness is 3rd level. I am not sure why it wasn't 3rd level the whole time. I wouldn't have pushed this, except for the following two items that have to be fixed. So, I fixed this one, too.
3) I deleted the spell Speak with Plants from the Druid's new spell list because they already have Speak with Plants. To keep the overall total the same, I replaced it with Insect Plague. Kinda surprising they don't already have it, it is definitely on-theme, and it serves as a lower level version of their later Creeping Doom spell.
4) I deleted Read Languages from the Illusionist's new spell list because they already have it. They just get it at 2nd level instead of 1st. Instead, I gave them Remove Fear. This fits with their overall "screw with the mind" nature and fits in with the later Greater Fear. (And, really, it is expected that they'll use Cause Fear much more often than Remove Fear.)
5) I deleted Familiar from the Spellcrafter's new spell list because they already have it. Instead, I gave them Silence 15' radius. I figure a crafter is going to need silence at some point, so gave it to them.

Note that the replacement spells for #3, #4, and #5 are Core rules spells that require no spell description entries and add no spells to the game.

And that's really it. I added comments for each of these changes. These comments start with "UPDATE" so they will hopefully be easier to spot. Part of me is disappointed that I made those mistakes, but another part is actually happy it was very few relatively minor issues when the master list I just created shows that there are 304 spells in Core + Class Supplements + New Spells.
daryen

Post by daryen »

I see that the New Spells was updated to r8 so that the Magic-User asterisks were removed. It still needs to be updated again to fix the four spells notes in the prior message. I have uploaded a file with those fixes. I had called it "r8", but have renamed it to r9. I didn't have to reload the file because the only difference between r7 and r8 are the asterisks. So, my submission mentioned above is now called r9 instead.

Again, the purpose is to properly re-level Cure Deafness, and to replace three duplicate spells with something they don't actually have. All three replacement spells are intentionally Core Rules spells so that there need to be absolutely no new spell descriptions. The only change in the spell descriptions is the new Cure Deafness spell level. All five line edits have comments attached.