New Spells Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
gg2

Re: New Spells Supplement

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:02 pm

hi,
Shades :
I don't know how you're gonna write the spell in the end, but would it be possible to come up with something other than 60% for the Shades? It's a very impractical formula that requires calculations that aren't necessarily pleasant to improvise in the middle of a fight.
50% is more practical, but frankly I don't like it (plus it decreases the power of the spell).
But for example saying that you decrease all the dice used by the creature of a category. 1d6 becomes 1d4, 1d10 > 1d8, 3d8>3d6 etc.
the statistics are a bit stronger and a bit variable... but also much easier to manage on the fly during the game.
or decrease par 2 category (a little too weak), or 1 for the HD and 2 for the damage

Or another way... but that doesn't involve making calculations....
daryen

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:15 pm

I got the 60% from the Shadow Something spells in the 3.5 SRD. As for how to do it, I was just going to have things work normally, except that after figuring HPs, it'd be reduced to 60%, and any damage it did would be done normally, then multiplied by .6. There was nothing fancy intended. For the base creature, I am going to scale it to a similarly leveled summoning spell.

The point is to make it nice and moody. The mechanics are intended to be fairly simple.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:52 pm

Ack. I do NOT like multiplication or division that happens during combat.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
daryen

Post Fri Jul 31, 2020 12:56 am

Ok. I can change that ...

What about the rest?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:15 am

No comment, as yet. Sorry. Too much going on to pay close attention here.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
daryen

Post Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:38 am

As a side note, I am going to wait for results on Necromancer and Illusionist before really completing New Spells, as they have some new spells I think should be included. Plus, I figure spell levels 1-6 need to be finished before making spell level 7.

Alternatively, I could take this in two phases:
1) Only update the file to take Clerics and Magic-Users into account.
2) Update that with Druids, Illusionists, Necromancers, and Spellcasters.