Collaborative Setting - Outline Thread

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Mint

Re: Collaborative Setting - Outline Thread

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:57 pm

I'd sort of like to know if we're going to get to go in depth with the kingdoms we already have or if the format/s chosen are all it's going to be.
arcbolt21

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:11 pm

My idea was that we'd get the framework for these countries/regions first, then do a fully fleshed out take on them that, if converted to the BFRPG pdf format, cover 3 or 4 pages.
Dreamakuma

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:19 am

Been overworked recently. Sorry for my slow Updates

Name: Grax
Grax is considered a nation by it's inhabitants. It's more like a series of deep underground tunnel systems inhabited by hellish abominations that writhe under many great countries often without their knowledge.

Population:
30% Unknown
60% Thulids
10% Slave stock(Humanoids)

Capital: Angorish
Deep in the Earth hidden to all but the most profane evils lies the city of Angorish, it is there where the ruled Thulid mingle with Infernals and creatures most perverse and foul.

Ruler's Name: No ruler has been seen in Grax. Laws do not exist in a conventional form here.
Geography: Subterranean caves, tunnels, lakes and streams are littered through Grax. In occasional areas toxic gases and acidic pools can catch a wanderer off guard and lead to sudden death.

Status: Few kingdoms know of the evil land, those that do refuse to dig below. The Thulid often infiltrate kingdoms and reap the rewards of slaves to take back to the deep below. In these cases the Thulid will become the consul of a leader, or establish trade with them for prisoners. Thus sewing both ruin and enslavement where and when they are able.

Main Industries: Slave trade, the creation of magical and cursed items.

Overview of Interesting Features: There is an order of evil clerics that often travel to Angorish to worship eldritch beings for befouled boons of power. This Clergy is known as the Kothlo.

Many mages both good and evil dare to visit this dark landscape to fulfill some need for knowledge. Some wish to learn how to combat evil, and thus watch it in it's natural habitat. Others may want to bargain or learn of a way to immortality, such as lichdom.

A group of infernals called The Pactmakers can be found in Grax. You can get nearly anything, but for a great price. Many temples to these foul creatures are strewn about the vast cave systems of Grax.

There is an illicit network of thulids willing to make deals with people for stock. Offering magical items and great alchemic potions in exchange for healthy people to be brought in as slaves. Sometimes said items are cursed, as a way for the thulid to kill or enslave the unlucky "customer".

Sites of Note: The vast Temple of the Forgotten is a lost temple with effigies to deities no one knows. Creatures that defy logic and horrors few can describe are rumored to reside there.

The Burning Rift is a series of volcanic tubes that tear into the rock. Fire elementals reside there en masse and the rift is not hospitable to most any form of life.

Even in the land of hellish trade, the Beating Heart is spoken in hushed tones.
It is said to dwell at the very bottom of Grax. It's rumblings can be heard and felt, almost like that of seismic activity. Whatever this horrific place is, none have returned from it.
Never stop dreaming, the imagination is the greatest gift we have.
SmootRK

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:29 am

arcbolt21 wrote:I was thinking about it and should we allow the races presented in the New Races Supplement (Canein, Phaerim, etc.).
As the creator of these races (all original creations), I would love to see them get a bit of coverage. Bear in mind I wrote these as minor races, usually found in relatively low numbers, often alongside or within other communities... this was very much on-purpose so that the normal dynamic of most rpg settings would not be impacted much with their inclusion (or exclusion).

I like what you guys are doing here. Cannot wait for it to come together into a setting. I don't feel like I have much input at this time, but once it starts to coalesce I feel like I can jump in too.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?

See my shirt designs: https://teespring.com/stores/smoot-life
Dimirag

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:43 am

I'm also waiting to see the more "setting like" approach before saying anything about this,but for the moment it has a good shape.

As this is your setting don't be afraid to use non-core stuff like races, classes and rules, those are the things that will convert a world into an unique an interesting setting.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
arcbolt21

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:04 pm

SmootRK wrote: As the creator of these races (all original creations), I would love to see them get a bit of coverage. Bear in mind I wrote these as minor races, usually found in relatively low numbers, often alongside or within other communities... this was very much on-purpose so that the normal dynamic of most rpg settings would not be impacted much with their inclusion (or exclusion).

I like what you guys are doing here. Cannot wait for it to come together into a setting. I don't feel like I have much input at this time, but once it starts to coalesce I feel like I can jump in too.
I was thinking that, at most, they would either be minor subject territories (A Phaerim tribe that pays homage to a large Elven kingdom) or be from "Over There", that far away land that legends speak and you rarely, rarely see some folks from there (Like the Bisren or Kappa). It would shake things up.

I want to hold off on making another realm myself, at least until someone else has had a chance. And I think we should start looking into developing some of the non-civilized regions as well.
SmootRK

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:38 pm

Kappa renamed Chelonian in subsequent versions of supplement (also appears in the Field Guide as Chelonian).
While it does not appear on downloads, the r2 of this can be located in the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=125
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?

See my shirt designs: https://teespring.com/stores/smoot-life
arcbolt21

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:28 pm

SmootRK wrote:Kappa renamed Chelonian in subsequent versions of supplement (also appears in the Field Guide as Chelonian).
While it does not appear on downloads, the r2 of this can be located in the thread:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=125
Gotcha! Thought I missed something somewhere...
Dreamakuma

Post Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:18 am

Hey Arcbolt, Wanna do some warring Nations? I can come up with one and you the other.
Never stop dreaming, the imagination is the greatest gift we have.
arcbolt21

Post Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:38 pm

Sounds good to me! Go ahead and post yours, I'll whip one up soon.