Collaborative Setting - Outline Thread

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dreamakuma

Re: Collaborative Setting?

Post by Dreamakuma »

I'd love to write some fluff for a country and Kingdom.
(I still have a world builder's guide I've yet to use.)

I'm of the idea that If I get a geographical map to look at, I'd gladly jot down ideas to be used up in a collab.
Never stop dreaming, the imagination is the greatest gift we have.
Mint

Post by Mint »

Sounds great to me. I love imagining countries. Who says there only has to be one elven nation? I'd love to write up a forest elven nation. Of course, if need be, I can dream up others. We'd also need to agree on what info would be supplied about each kingdom. I'd suggest more than just your barebones things and have room for things like products that are unique to that country, customs, that sort of thing.
Delver

Post by Delver »

This sounds like a lot of fun, and I would love to join up and throw my quill into the ring... but not right now. I'll have more time on my hands in October, so if this gets off the ground and gains a little momentum? I'll keep my eye on it until then. My preference would be a Dwarven deephold or some Halfling hideaway...
"...It's up to the players to make cool characters and a cool story, and work with you rather than against you to do that. If they can't or won't do that, they are not doing their job as players." - Longman
Dreamakuma

Post by Dreamakuma »

Here's a rather basic Idea I had for my own continent using a free map maker on fantasy name generator site. I'm going to further edit the map with gimp then flush it out a bit further with proper Fluff.

I really love this idea and even though I suck at mapmaking, I'm willing to give anything a try to contribute to a setting that will reach further out than my own tabletop group.
arcbolt21

Post by arcbolt21 »

Okay, so we do have a bit of interest then. Yay!

Dreamakuma, that map is pretty neat! I don't see why we couldn't use a slightly modified version for the gazetteer map, but before we start putting countries on it, we should try to work on the countries.

I'll go ahead and head over to the Workshop forum and start up a thread.
arcbolt21

Collaborative Setting - Outline Thread

Post by arcbolt21 »

Okay, so this will be a 'rough draft' thread, figure out how many countries there are, a general map after that, that sort of thing.

First thing I wish to figure out should be the number of demihuman realms there are and also if there will be more than just three demihuman races (Half-Elves, for instance, or Canein and such).
Dreamakuma

Re: Collaborative Setting - Outline Thread

Post by Dreamakuma »

I think all the available races from the core should be there, The Half races suppliment (Half elves, Half orcs, Half ogres) would be cool.

I do think countries could be thematic. A horror area would be cool.
arcbolt21

Re: Collaborative Setting - Outline Thread

Post by arcbolt21 »

I agree with all core races, and the Half-Humans as well, though like all older editions they should be rare and shunned mostly.

And 'thematic' countries are fine as well as long as thet still fit well.
Longman

Post by Longman »

Cool - glad we got some interest.

I'm going to start posting about my human kingdom over here. (I won't provide any geographic details at first, so what I am describing could be tailored to any map later on.)

(And, I think we should probably stay here rather than in workshop, for a while at least.)
Longman

Post by Longman »

(I still have a world builder's guide I've yet to use.)

This the one?

My kingdom - Kingdom of Knockannan (The Stone of Anna)

Human - 90%
Half elf - 7%
Elf - 2%
Other - 1%

Capital - Knockannan. Set in a pass in the mountains where an ancient marker stone stands, once the boundary between two kingdoms, now united. 'Anna' or 'Dana' was the legendary mother of the human race in these parts. The royal line is matrilineal and power in the kingdom generally resides with women, as it is only women who can take the sacred oath to Anna and become the clerics of her faith.

Current status - Troubled. Baronesses and other leaders in outlying parts of the kingdom are refusing to pay taxes and several are threatening to separate from the kingdom, or to unify and take the throne. The current queen, Janis, is only 17, and has yet to fully establish her control.

Main industries - Agriculture (notably cattle and wheat). Knockannan is deeply agricultural at its base and 85% of the population are farmers or rural dwellers. 15% are urbanites, who live predominantly off the wealth created by taxation.

Land Divisions - Knockannan is divided into 12 shires, not including the capital district. Of these, 6 are known as the inner shires, and are usually loyal to the Queen. 4 shires, in the east, are traditionally known as the Ostgrave, and were formerly another kingdom, Lleyn. These are the ones that are currently threatening rebellion or succession. A further 2 shires in the far south are very rural and isolated geographically, and contain most of the elvish and half-elvish population, as well as areas of pure wilderness.

More to come...