[AA3] Fire Mountain

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
John Dutton

Re: Fire Mountain

Post by John Dutton »

Hello chaps, I've been on holiday and haven't had access to the internet, however since getting home I have read you posts with great interest and am extremely grateful for everything you've said and done. I just wanted to clarify a couple of points.

Firstly, sorry about gaol. I know it's the British spelling, but I couldn't help myself (even though jail makes much more sense). However, the caravan is a caravan, not a wagon. I imagined one of those traditional gypsy caravans like the ones you can still hire to tour around Ireland ~ perhaps you call them something else in the US.

Regarding the introduction: the adventure was written for six 10 year olds and the introduction was intended to get them into the action as quickly as possible. Obviously more experienced players would prefer something a bit more flexible. Likewise, that is why the adventure is rather linear. FM was the 6th adventure I ran for my class and I had learnt that the kids had a tendency to split up at every T junction making the game a nightmare to DM.

As for Sycorax, he certainly is deadly, but I never intended the characters to fight him. I wanted them to realize that there are nastier things in the world than them and so choose to negotiate. I considered getting Sycorax to ask only one or two characters to become his servants, thus forcing the players to discuss who should be sacrificed. I also thought that removing his charm could lead to another adventure. This would have worked better if Sycorax had given them a clear time limit - "Return before the first snowfall" - the players would have then been involved in a race against time.

Anyway, thanks for everything. You are a splendid bunch.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I think as an entry for AA2 the linearity is fine. However I'm not too hot on possibly forcing a PC or 2 to have to stay behind. If they're able to leave (but are "supposed to return") why in the world would they ever come back, to again be forced essentially into slavery?
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

John Dutton wrote:Firstly, sorry about gaol. I know it's the British spelling, but I couldn't help myself (even though jail makes much more sense). However, the caravan is a caravan, not a wagon. I imagined one of those traditional gypsy caravans like the ones you can still hire to tour around Ireland ~ perhaps you call them something else in the US.

Regarding the introduction: the adventure was written for six 10 year olds and the introduction was intended to get them into the action as quickly as possible. Obviously more experienced players would prefer something a bit more flexible. Likewise, that is why the adventure is rather linear. FM was the 6th adventure I ran for my class and I had learnt that the kids had a tendency to split up at every T junction making the game a nightmare to DM.
John, you have no need to apologize since your writing from your experience, anything that I would write would have a midwestern United States flavor, as you'll soon see. I once sent a party looking for a gremlikin, they were looking for a gremlin, not the cat that kept following them through the streets and rubbing at their legs. Gremlikin is German for cat, by the way. ;)

Thanks for explaining the introduction, yes, trying to keep that age of kids together would be like herding cats. :D
chiisu81 wrote:Tweaked layout of intro. I agree with AlMan and Dimirag on the intro needing more revision, I'll need to think on it some more. If someone else has a better version of course post it here.
Since chiisu asked for a revision, and I was the one to stick my neck out first about it, I'm going to include my version of the Introduction, I would like to get John's blessing on this, since it is his module to begin with. Thank you, John, for providing a great starting point to work from.

AlMan's version of Introduction

The last adventure was exhausting all of you are sore and tired and need to replenish some of your supplies. Your map indicates the next town up the road to be Drakeshaven a very large port city that would be easy to get lost in. If your calculations are right the party should arrive in town in time for supper. You plan on finding a comfortable, but cheap inn and having a good meal, and a bed to sleep. The next day you can sell some loot and refill your supplies.

About mid afternoon you see five men with leather armor and poorly kept weapons, they don't seem to look too healthy either. They stop your party when you get to shouting distance. The man that seems to be the leader of this group tells you not to go any further. He tells you that there is a plaque in the city and that to avoid contaminating yourselves you should stay back. They say that if you have any friends or family in the city you should leave a note on the message tree and they would look at it after you backed off and then take your message to them. You notice alongside the road is a large oak tree with several scraps of paper nailed to it. You approach the tree and read some of the notes you find several like this one:

Anyone going to Farmsdale, please tell the Farnsworth family that all their family in Drakeshaven have died. The house was burned to help stop the plaque. There is nothing of value for your family that would be worth your lives.

There is one note that is different than the rest, it simply reads:

If you would like to help me stop this plaque say my name three times: Leofric!!!

If the party tries to say the name three times a frail old man suddenly appears before them with a cloud of smoke that makes the guards scream, drop their weapons and run.

Chiisu let me know if you would like this as an ODT file.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Gaol is not subject to significant misunderstanding... it only means one thing, even if it is an unusual spelling. But caravan is a different issue: in the UK, it means a wagon, while in the US it's a wagon train (several wagons traveling together). I'd like to avoid usages that will be confusing for those on either side of the pond.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
John Dutton

Post by John Dutton »

Thanks for the clarification regarding caravan. I'm currently tidying up a couple of my other adventures and am trying my best to use the US spelling (many more zeds, or should I say, zees).

Alman, it is very kind of you to ask for my blessing. Of course none is required, this is quite definitely a group effort. By the way, I really like the message tree, it reminds me of a scene from some disaster movie I saw once (Independence Day? World War Z?). Very apocalyptic.

Incidentally, I nicked Leofic's name. He was one of King Harold's brothers, killed at the battle of Hastings.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Alman, I like that text. I can copy it off of here no problem (I prefer to paste in plain-text anyways); I'll do that soon and give it another reading.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I've taken AlMan's text for the intro and integrated it, making an r6 release. Right now just have the PDF posted. If it looks good, I'll pull r5 and post the ODT as well.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I'm not convinced by the potion Leofric gives to the pc's, lets suppose a 6 pc's party scenario, Leofric will give a total of 6 potions (on to each pc), but each pc can choose among 4 different options, which means Leofric has 24 potions with him!

Here's an alternative take
"Leofric has asked you to undertake this perilous quest… If the party accept his petition he will be truly happy.
If the party opts to refuse Leofric will implore for their help telling that as they saw, most people here are afraid of him refusing to help, not only that, if the plague is not stopped then the town will remain inaccessible and the plague will extend to nearby places, sooner or later affecting the pc's. If the need arise Leofric will offer to create several potent magical potions as a reward for their quest."

"Leofric is too old and frail to accompany the party; however he is able to provide the party with an assortment of magical potions. If the party give him a day he can use his last magical ingredients to create a number of potions equal to the number of characters. Leofric will ask each character which of the available potions will he like. The potions available are:"
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Authors from the UK are welcome to use their native spelling in their works. It won't affect my use of them. However, the usages should be consistent throughout the document, so if such a document is a collaboration the authors should make a choice as to which way to go.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

John Dutton wrote:However, the caravan is a caravan, not a wagon. I imagined one of those traditional gypsy caravans like the ones you can still hire to tour around Ireland ~ perhaps you call them something else in the US.
After a little digging I found two other names that might work for caravan that might be better understood on this side of the pond. Romani wagon or Vardo are the two terms I ran across. Would you prefer one of these?

Also is the "Little Old Man" suppose to be a Leprechaun? I don't recall Leprechauns in the BFRPG Rules or the Field Guide, I might have to dig a little deeper to see if there is an entry. If not maybe I can try my hand at writing one up.