[AA3] Fire Mountain

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
arcbolt21

Re: Fire Mountain

Post by arcbolt21 »

I have to say, this is a real good adventure! Definitely something I could unleash on my players!
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The adventure is ok, but it makes use of some mechanics outside the BF scope, I think they should be replaces with the ones from the corebook or left to the GM as much as possible.
Two examples:
Avoiding to create a landslide at the Ravine (Dex roll)
Smashing the lock at the Iron Gate.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
shadowmane

Post by shadowmane »

Wow. I've never seen a "wagon" referred to as a "caravan".

Man, you can tell this was written by a Brit. Gaol instead of Jail. Some of the uses of speech. Its a nice twist.

Nice adventure. I've downloaded it. I might change the Lizard Men to Kobolds, but it might change the flavor of the whole adventure.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

In some iterations Kobolds are of the dragon family so they can fit pretty well.
AlMan

Post by AlMan »

This is looking like the beginning of a fun little adventure. Good job, Mr. Dutton!

Chii, since you seem to be the main editor I wanted to suggest taking the Introduction out of the box and putting it on a page by itself with a note telling players not to read any further. I would also end it with the party finding a sort of help wanted poster on the local message board or tree. This would give the GM and players a chance at role playing the negotiation of terms of service. I like doing that with new players so they can get a feel for their characters and start understanding the character's motives.

Of course these are just suggestions and you can ignore them if you want.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I agree with AlMan, that intro robs one important step (that can be skip for those parties that don't like it): The previous negotiation, it assumes that everyone on the party will accept the quest. But I see lots of potential negotiations here.

What's the recommended level for this adventure?

Probably its just me, but the adventure should be "tone down" as it looks like its designed to kill or subdue the players, almost every room causes damage or a bad condition directly and the only way to escape the "inescapable red dragon's charm" is by fighting him.
dymondy2k

Post by dymondy2k »

Dimirag wrote:The adventure is ok, but it makes use of some mechanics outside the BF scope, I think they should be replaces with the ones from the corebook or left to the GM as much as possible.
Two examples:
Avoiding to create a landslide at the Ravine (Dex roll)
Smashing the lock at the Iron Gate.
Actually he is just making use of his own version of the Ability Roll table under the Optional Rules in the DM Section. Roll Dice.. Add modifier.. beat number..

I personally don't think any DM is going to begrudge you giving them a mechanic to have some non combat fun in the adventure..
Check out my BFRPG Campaign Setting
The Dragonclaw Barony
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I just prefer to leave any optional and non core rule to the gm's mind
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Actually, Dimirag, I like it when different adventure authors provide different mechanics, as long as they aren't obviously broken. The GM can always do it his or her own way, after all.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Tweaked layout of intro. I agree with AlMan and Dimirag on the intro needing more revision, I'll need to think on it some more. If someone else has a better version of course post it here.