Character Class Focuses Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
k_ba

Re: Character Class Focuses Supplement

Post by k_ba »

Ok,

I think I am getting a more consistent style. The issue is that brightness, contrast, and level of detail need to be consistent for the effects to produce consistent results.
alchemist3-small.png
alchemist3-small.png (290.67 KiB) Viewed 4023 times
The following is a description of what I did, so that anyone can easily duplicate this using fully free and open source tools.

So, for this fellow I used only paint.net. I used the ed harvey simplify effect, on radius 5, with 6-7 repetitions to dump out the level of detail, while still retaining core details. It gives a nice rounded pixel effect that produces good striations when you go to the ink.

I stripped out the rear layer, dropped in the hat, the apron, etc. ran the simplify effect on each layer to try and cause them to break down to the same level of striation.

Contrast balanced everything to get it to the right levels.

Pushed all layers down, THEN black and white.

Added in the rear image, flattened. Then ran ink sketch once, with 63% outline, and 85% coloring.

If I re-run ink sketch it makes it more stylized, and it starts to resemble my first attempt at an alchemist, with very heavy lines.

K
k_ba

Post by k_ba »

Been a few years. My son is setting up another set of games. So I am updating the core document with the new alchemist image, an explanatory sentence for the unarmed fighter, and a few minor tweaks here and there.

Updated on the root page of the thread. Been a couple of difficult years, nice to have time to consider this again.

K
k_ba

Post by k_ba »

Solomoriah wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:01 am k_ba's image appears to be a photograph that has been "cartooned" using Photoshop or Gimp. We'd need to know the original source of the image before we could use it.
It has been YEARS, but I updated the document again with some more tweaks, and the provenance of all the images is from wikipedia with backgrounds from the british commons.

Can we put it up somewhere for everyone to download? My parties have loved it.

The unarmed master may be a bit OP, but making them give everything away and not use magic has been awesome for storylines. :)

@solomoriah - Is it ready to be shared out yet on the site? BTW, cool to see that Temple at Hillman Point made it into AA2! Yeah! :)
nate_the_red

Post by nate_the_red »

I'm late to the party, but what's the general consensus on this supplement (other than it's a great approach to tweaking the base classes)? Is it pretty much good to go?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

The supplement won't be going on the Downloads page; nothing personal, I'm just not publishing any more class supplements of any sort on that page. However, k_ba, I have just approved you for a Showcase account. Please, feel free to go over there and upload the supplement! Please also update the first post in this thread to link to it when you do. Thanks!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

nate_the_red wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:50 pm I'm late to the party, but what's the general consensus on this supplement (other than it's a great approach to tweaking the base classes)? Is it pretty much good to go?
K_ba hasn't been around since 2019, and other than him I don't think the supplement has been tested by active forum members, so if you wish to use it, maybe do it in a non-main game and with the players knowledge of its testing status.
Other than that, I think its usable.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
nate_the_red

Post by nate_the_red »

Dimirag wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:02 pm
nate_the_red wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 5:50 pm I'm late to the party, but what's the general consensus on this supplement (other than it's a great approach to tweaking the base classes)? Is it pretty much good to go?
K_ba hasn't been around since 2019, and other than him I don't think the supplement has been tested by active forum members, so if you wish to use it, maybe do it in a non-main game and with the players knowledge of its testing status.
Other than that, I think its usable.
Okay. Thank you!