Character Class Focuses Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
k_ba

Re: Character Class Focuses Supplement

Post Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:42 pm

Ok,

I think I am getting a more consistent style. The issue is that brightness, contrast, and level of detail need to be consistent for the effects to produce consistent results.
alchemist3-small.png
alchemist3-small.png (290.67 KiB) Viewed 710 times
The following is a description of what I did, so that anyone can easily duplicate this using fully free and open source tools.

So, for this fellow I used only paint.net. I used the ed harvey simplify effect, on radius 5, with 6-7 repetitions to dump out the level of detail, while still retaining core details. It gives a nice rounded pixel effect that produces good striations when you go to the ink.

I stripped out the rear layer, dropped in the hat, the apron, etc. ran the simplify effect on each layer to try and cause them to break down to the same level of striation.

Contrast balanced everything to get it to the right levels.

Pushed all layers down, THEN black and white.

Added in the rear image, flattened. Then ran ink sketch once, with 63% outline, and 85% coloring.

If I re-run ink sketch it makes it more stylized, and it starts to resemble my first attempt at an alchemist, with very heavy lines.

K
k_ba

Re: Character Class Focuses Supplement

Post Mon May 22, 2017 3:35 pm

Been a few years. My son is setting up another set of games. So I am updating the core document with the new alchemist image, an explanatory sentence for the unarmed fighter, and a few minor tweaks here and there.

Updated on the root page of the thread. Been a couple of difficult years, nice to have time to consider this again.

K