Half Humans Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Half Humans Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

If half an elf is enough of an elf to cast spells in armor, then half an elf is enough elf to have a hit die limit, at least for this combo.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Just uploaded R2.
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Solomoriah wrote:If half an elf is enough of an elf to cast spells in armor, then half an elf is enough elf to have a hit die limit, at least for this combo.
So, does this mean that a half-elf fighter is limited to d6 like a full elf fighter then? If so, then that info should be fully explained in the restrictions section.... correction, I see the caveat inserted.

In my previous dialogues about alternate/other the idea was explained that the d6 limit was an elf thing, not a combo-class thing. Combo-classes being the best of each class for the price of the total combined XP... with the exception being the d6 for elf. In the core rules, the elf combo class FMU being the only example, so it did not get explained well/fully along this tangent... and then MUThief added later both classes have d4 (so it is non-issue).

Now, it might be non-standard take on it, but I use best of each, HD included... so this is where a Half-Elf would have a slight advantage over a full-elf (which makes sense in my mind for the Half-Human to be a tad physically more durable). So hypothetically lets say there is a race with both magical and strong physically... like AD&D Githyanki or Githzerai... They should not be constrained to the d6 limit that an elf has.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm open to suggestions on the issue; I can see points on both sides. Perhaps the limitations of being a combo class character, along with the max 17 Con, is enough by itself...
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Solomoriah wrote:If half an elf is enough of an elf to cast spells in armor, then half an elf is enough elf to have a hit die limit, at least for this combo.
Maybe the elf part is enough for spellcasting in armor (magical blood) but the half human part is enough for not having the HD limit (human physique taking over the elven frailty) and the max 17 CON representing the limit on the physical development of the half elve's body.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
mTeasdale

Post by mTeasdale »

Honestly, I don't know why someone would play an Half-elf M-U/Fighter if they also get a d6 for HD. The elf have some other nice bonus to make for the smaller HD (mainly better saves, longer infravision and in most campaigns : not being an outcast).

Also, the d8 seems more in line with the core rules.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, you've convinced me. Backpedaling now... the new version should be online shortly.
artikid

Post by artikid »

A moment please.
Half-elves get a 5% bonus on XP already
A Con maximum of 17 is not that big a restriction IMHO at least compared to the HD cap.
Could we come up with something different to give them?
Hexamer47

Post by Hexamer47 »

True, they are allowed a 5% XP bonus, but only if they are not a member of a combination class. For my tastes, I will keep the original supplement with the d8 hit die. I agree that without the d8 it seems there is little point to playing the half elf. Just my humble opinion.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

I personally would let it keep the XP bonus, a 5% is not much, plus I don't like removing a benefit because of another benefit and no other race suffer an XP penalty due to the class selected.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/