Gnomes Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
User avatar
Solomoriah
Site Admin
Posts: 7020
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: LaBelle, Missouri
Contact:

Re: Gnomes Supplement

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:07 am

Dwarven magic items in my campaign are made by dwarf clerics. It's not only wizards that can make magic items, at least in my campaign.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
User avatar
Steveman
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:43 pm
Location: Norcal
Contact:

Re: Gnomes Supplement

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:09 am

Solomoriah wrote:Dwarven magic items in my campaign are made by dwarf clerics. It's not only wizards that can make magic items, at least in my campaign.
+1

Religion tends to take a strong role in my western fantasy settings, so more magic items are cleric made in my games than magic-user made.
Characters:
Himamura Jin (Night Wizard; Level 6 Great One/Level 1 Caster)
Benjamin d'Aide (BFRPG; level 5 cleric of the virtue of Sacrifice) - recurring hireling turned pseudo-DMPC
User avatar
SmootRK
Posts: 3549
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Gnomes Supplement

Post Sun Aug 19, 2012 10:34 am

Steveman wrote:
Solomoriah wrote:Dwarven magic items in my campaign are made by dwarf clerics. It's not only wizards that can make magic items, at least in my campaign.
+1

Religion tends to take a strong role in my western fantasy settings, so more magic items are cleric made in my games than magic-user made.
Much is done this way too. Like I said, culturally a character to breaks from the normal (such as Dwarf who takes on MU) is generally an outcast of their society... but, I don't specifically do any class exclusions based on race. If a player can build the character idea, then I will 'go with it'. In a few cases, I might make a rule tweak - such as the dwarf saves against Wands/Spells, however it has generally worked without any breaks of game balance otherwise.

Back on the topic of gnomes themselves. I don't generally use them. Never actually had a player who actually wanted to play one, and when I think I about it, I have never even been in the presence (as a player or gm or otherwise) of a player whom had a gnome character... except one who had built a retainer/henchman character who was one (and this was a 3.x game). That said, if a player expressed a specific desire to play one, then I would probably allow them about as written, however I might tweak the race a bit to make them more of true dwarf cousin race (bigger and generally a bit more dwarf-like). It would just fit into my campaign concept better... as my dwarves are already a tad less serious than more modern versions, being a bit more 'The Hobbit' or Narnian (cs lewis) in their nature.
Sir Bedivere
Posts: 998
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Gnomes Supplement

Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:28 pm

Which encumbrance column should gnomes use? The halfling column seems natural, given their size, but I thought I'd ask.
User avatar
Solomoriah
Site Admin
Posts: 7020
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: LaBelle, Missouri
Contact:

Re: Gnomes Supplement

Post Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:40 pm

Yeah, that sounds right.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Sir Bedivere
Posts: 998
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 10:46 pm

Re: Gnomes Supplement

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:59 pm

Just out of curiosity, what was the inspiration for gnomes as a PC race? My own introduction to gnomes was through literature where they are more like small sprites or faeries than the BF or D&D versions, and I have a hard time seeing them as something besides the six-inch, red-hatted fellows that live in the meadows.
User avatar
SmootRK
Posts: 3549
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:03 am
Location: Colorado Springs, CO

Re: Gnomes Supplement

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:03 pm

Sir Bedivere wrote:Just out of curiosity, what was the inspiration for gnomes as a PC race? My own introduction to gnomes was through literature where they are more like small sprites or faeries than the BF or D&D versions, and I have a hard time seeing them as something besides the six-inch, red-hatted fellows that live in the meadows.
Exactly! One of my major reasons for not including them in my own games. But, like I said above, if a player really REALLY wanted one (as written in the supplement or various game editions), then I would just add them in as a rare cousin-race of Dwarves... so rare, that the player wanting one would likely be the only one ever encountered unless the party makes a deliberate effort to track down a gnome village.
User avatar
Solomoriah
Site Admin
Posts: 7020
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:15 pm
Location: LaBelle, Missouri
Contact:

Re: Gnomes Supplement

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:28 pm

The gnomes of BFRPG are based on an older tradition, and rooted in stories that predate Hickman & Weis (sp?).

Honestly, has anyone made more of a hash of the game than those two? If any Dragonlance fans read this, I apologize, but seriously, how many races did they turn into pure comic relief? And I blame them for the "modern" halfling race, too, as the kender seem to have been the model for them.

Gnomes are fey, somewhere between dwarves and elves (but closer to the former). Their stories glorify the tricksters and the clever ones, where dwarves sing of hard work and honor and the elves recount epics of glorious discovery and arcane knowledge.

Only a human would be so foolish as to mistake a gnome for a dwarf, and the gnome would be sure to make the human regret his mistake... :twisted:
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
User avatar
Shonuff
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:39 am

Re: Gnomes Supplement

Post Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:57 pm

Solomoriah wrote:The gnomes of BFRPG are based on an older tradition, and rooted in stories that predate Hickman & Weis (sp?).

Honestly, has anyone made more of a hash of the game than those two? If any Dragonlance fans read this, I apologize, but seriously, how many races did they turn into pure comic relief? And I blame them for the "modern" halfling race, too, as the kender seem to have been the model for them.

Gnomes are fey, somewhere between dwarves and elves (but closer to the former). Their stories glorify the tricksters and the clever ones, where dwarves sing of hard work and honor and the elves recount epics of glorious discovery and arcane knowledge.

Only a human would be so foolish as to mistake a gnome for a dwarf, and the gnome would be sure to make the human regret his mistake... :twisted:
Agreed. oh and i'll have 4 pics for this supplement done by this weekend.
User avatar
LibraryLass
Posts: 1008
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Re: Gnomes Supplement

Post Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:54 am

Not that it's particularly relevant (Gary was not a big Tolkien fan and definitely not a scholar of the Professor's work), but in a few early drafts the high elves in middle earth (ie, Elrond, Cirdan, Galadriel and their ilk) were called gnomes instead.


Boy would that have made things different, eh?
http://rachelghoulgamestuff.blogspot.com/
Rachel Bonuses: Now with pretty

http://www.gofundme.com/8gawy0
Currently panhandling for my transition/medical bills.
Post Reply