Assassins Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Assassins Supplement

Post by Dimirag »

Yeap, I did that on the file above (the 10% xp thing)...
For the waylay we can use the same mechanic for subdual damage (it's not on the brawling rules, my mistake for that), after all the character suffers subdual damage...
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
SmootRK

Post by SmootRK »

Dimirag wrote:Question: Whats the time for a Waylays Victim's Unconsciousness? Its equal to be knocked out by brawling?
Solomoriah wrote:Dunno. What do you think it should be?
How about 20 minus the victim's Constitution score, in rounds.

or perhaps even better:
20 minus the Level/HD (plus the CON bonus) of the individual/creature.
This would make high level persons or creatures difficult to deal with (as they should be).

Just a random thought about how one might deal with it.
Is it really the end, not some crazy dream?
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag wrote:Yeap, I did that on the file above (the 10% xp thing)...
Huh? Wasn't it that way before?

Anyway, the new version is uploaded. Thanks!
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The original file has the Thief table and the 10% XP bonus lost for humans, I increased the values by a 10% and drop the XP lost.

I prefer to use the subdual rules, not only they are in line with the rules, they are easier, don't require any math on the fly and doesn't make use of a value that monsters lack (in the case the ability is used on an humanoid monster)
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag wrote:The original file has the Thief table and the 10% XP bonus lost for humans, I increased the values by a 10% and drop the XP lost.
The file I downloaded from that link still contains the "lose the 10% bonus" text, and has 1,250 for 2nd level, same as the Thief. Are you sure you uploaded the right thing?

Just email me your revised version. If it's substantially different from what I just revised and uploaded, I'll merge the changes.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

It seems I uploaded the wrong file (shame on me), comparing with your file the only difference its that I merged the Waylay and the Assassination description into one piece, I'll send you the text on a PM. I changed the file into a variant of the assassin, I can send it to you but I need to finish the poison part...

One thing: You changed the XP table but on the text it says "Assassins advance using the same table as Thieves", you can either erase that or add "with an extra 10% XP required" or something like that
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Let's just get this out in the open:
Assassinate and Waylay: This is the Assassin's primary special ability. An Assassin can attempt to knock out or kill an opponent in a single strike. This is performed in much the same way as a Thief's Sneak Attack ability. The attack is rolled at a +4 attack bonus; if the Assassin hits, the victim must make a saving throw vs. Death Ray or die if attacked with a lethal weapon, if the Assassin chooses to deliver subdual damage then the victim must make the saving throw or be rendered unconscious. If this roll is made, the victim still suffers double damage.
At the GM's option, characters two or more levels lower than the Assassin may be denied a saving throw.
Note that bounty hunters are often “reformed” Assassins, who use the Waylay ability in the course of their (more or less) lawful activities.
Looks good to me. I'll review it closer when I put it in the supplement. Still trying to decide how to handle the duration issue.
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Dimirag wrote:One thing: You changed the XP table but on the text it says "Assassins advance using the same table as Thieves", you can either erase that or add "with an extra 10% XP required" or something like that
Gah. I'll get that in the next release.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Sorry for not posting that. thanks for doing it for me Solo.

I still believe that using the subdual damage rules is the way to go, but, how about using a "remaining HP time rule" something like 20 minus remaining HP (or HP/2) rounds? Or using the HD/level as suggested by Smoot?
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

The file says that Assassins must abide the same weapons and armor restrictions as Thieves, but Thieves doesn't has any weapon restriction, so, shouldn't the file just say that they have the same armor restrictions only? Or should thieves become restricted from using some weapons?