Assassins Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Re: Assassins Supplement

Post by Solomoriah »

You are correct, sir. I'll attend to it in the next release.
My personal site: www.gonnerman.org
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Here's a suggested R4.
Changes include:
Text about Thieve's XP and weapon restriction.
Waylay and Assassination texts combined.
A little drawing.
Attachments
BF-Assassins-Supplement-r4.pdf
(263.96 KiB) Downloaded 416 times
BF-Assassins-Supplement-r4.odt
(4.51 MiB) Downloaded 395 times
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

Okay, strange thing here. I have an R4 on my hard drive which I never distributed; it has your name on it in the proofer credits, and is changed just a bit from the R3 that is on the site.

So now I have two different candidates for the position, and both are your fault.

:D

I'll compare them (automatically, the program does it) and put together a final version soon.
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Ups, that happens when I don't ask for the latest revision...
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

Or when SOMEONE doesn't post it :D
Attachments
0mKrh.gif
0mKrh.gif (984.81 KiB) Viewed 6497 times
ooooohhhh.gif
ooooohhhh.gif (724.12 KiB) Viewed 6497 times
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I'm hammering out a new revision. I don't like combining Waylay and Assassinate, so I'm keeping them apart. I am changing the Assassinate ability... by offering insta-kill, AND giving double damage, it becomes too much better than the Sneak Attack. I'm downgrading the "saving throw successful" result to normal damage.
chiisu81

Post by chiisu81 »

I REALLY like that artwork! :)
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Thanks Chii!
Solomoriah
Site Admin

Post by Solomoriah »

I have an Assassin player character in my game now, and it has prompted me to examine this document more closely. I have to say, this is NOT a well-balanced class. I'll be releasing a new version very soon which follows the established Thief advancement rate (as explained on page 153 of the Core Rules r107). Here are some notes on my changes:
Dimirag wrote:Remove Traps can be remove[d]
I will be doing this.

R4 of this supplement gives the Assassin ten distinct percentile abilities; Thieves have just 7. Dropping Remove Traps helps, but still leaves the Assassin more broadly skilled than the Thief.

Shadowing bothers me. Why shouldn't a Thief be able to do this? I propose removing it from the Assassin supplement, and perhaps offering an additional-abilities supplement for both classes.

The original R1 Assassin had thief abilities "two levels lower" than the Thief. The total of the percentile abilities of the R4 Assassin is 215 point; the Thief has 220. Since the Assassin has more non-percentile abilities than the Thief, there should be a greater difference between the two classes. Again, dropping Remove Traps and Shadowing helps here. If we drop one more ability, then both classes would have the same number.

Leading me to my last proposal... drop Disguise. As with Shadowing, it's an ability that not all Assassins necessarily need; also, I feel like having a mechanic for doing this (pretending to be a specific type of character, whether noble or farmer or artisan or whatever) limits the ability of non-Assassin characters to attempt the same thing.

Disguise and Shadowing are both abilities that would work better in a supplement of their own. Optional Thief Abilities, perhaps. In fact, I find myself considering how to create such a supplement right now.

HOKAY DOKAY. So now I've gotten my Assassin down to the following abilities:

15 Open Locks
20 Pick Pockets
20 Move Silently
70 Climb Walls
05 Hide
25 Listen
25 Poison

Seven, just like the Thief. The numbers above are for 1st level; they sum up to 180 points, an average of just 5.7 points less per ability than the Thief. Lowering the Assassin's percentile abilities is meant to balance them against the Thief, and depends on the Assassin's other abilities being superior. I think, given the chance of outright death offered by the Assassinate ability, that this is a fair distribution.

The next step is to create a new Assassin ability table advancing at the same rate as the Thief, so the optional rule mentioned above can be applied to both classes.

... ack, more later.
quozl

Post by quozl »

I suggest also dropping Pick Pockets and Climb Walls in order to further differentiate between the Assassin and the Thief.