Assassins Supplement

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Dimirag

Re: Assassins

Post Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:36 pm

This is how I would do it:
1. Since poison is a save or die effect, do most folks here think it's okay for the Assassin to be able to buy poisons or think they should make it themselves?
Buy it on illegal places and risk prison or worse.
2. GMs, do you put any sorts of limits on the Assassination ability? Can any monster literally be Assassinated for example?
No restrictions on humanoids, for other creatures I might ask for some previous anatomy knowledge and could give a ST bonus if seems right for the creature's anatomy. (I take assassination as a strike on a vital point, something that the assassin must be aware of and the victim must have).
Also the supplement lists not granting a monster who is 2 levels or more lower than the Assassin a saving throw. Do most follow this optional idea?
I would't follow it, I like the chance of failure.
3. In earlier editions the Assassin had to achieve surprise in order to Assassinate something. In this version it looks like the Assassin follows the same protocols as a thief backstabbing where surprise isn't necessary. How have others played this?
Same as in Backstabb, but I would add a -2 surprise penalty on the ST.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
cbarchuk

Re: Assassins

Post Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:57 pm

Dimirag wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:36 pm
This is how I would do it:
1. Since poison is a save or die effect, do most folks here think it's okay for the Assassin to be able to buy poisons or think they should make it themselves?
Buy it on illegal places and risk prison or worse.
2. GMs, do you put any sorts of limits on the Assassination ability? Can any monster literally be Assassinated for example?
No restrictions on humanoids, for other creatures I might ask for some previous anatomy knowledge and could give a ST bonus if seems right for the creature's anatomy. (I take assassination as a strike on a vital point, something that the assassin must be aware of and the victim must have).
Also the supplement lists not granting a monster who is 2 levels or more lower than the Assassin a saving throw. Do most follow this optional idea?
I would't follow it, I like the chance of failure.
3. In earlier editions the Assassin had to achieve surprise in order to Assassinate something. In this version it looks like the Assassin follows the same protocols as a thief backstabbing where surprise isn't necessary. How have others played this?
Same as in Backstabb, but I would add a -2 surprise penalty on the ST.

Thanks for the tips Dimirag. As always you are wealth of useful information. Hey I just stumbled upon your Assassin Quasi class. It is fantastic! It's much better than the Assassin Class supplement which I feel has too much crossover with the thief. I like how yours is more tightly focused on the assets that make an Assassin an Assassin such as stealth. I'm going to try yours out as I'm playing an Assassin in a current game. I did have a few questions concerning your version:

1. Is your version of the Poison ability used when making poisons or when applying them to a weapon?
2. I haven't used any Quasi classes so let me make sure I understand the XP: A Thief/Assassin would need 36000xp to reach level 6. Does that sound right?
3. A level 1 Thief/Assassin would have a 30 in HIDE and a 40 in MS correct?
4. Can this Quasi Assassin class use the thief allocation point option as described on page 153 of the core rules? If so how would that work since they have less skills?
5. Can this Quasi Assassin be any race?
Dimirag

Re: Assassins Supplement

Post Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:24 pm

Thanks for the kind words!
As to not hijack this thread I'm answering on the Quasi Classes 2 thread if that's ok with you guys.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
cbarchuk

Re: Assassins Supplement

Post Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:46 pm

Yep! No problem. Good point. I'll see ya there! :D