Supplement: Class Customisation (sketch)

Creating game materials? Monsters, spells, classes, adventures? This is the place!
Zironid

Supplement: Class Customisation (sketch)

Post by Zironid »

Hello everyone!

First, I want to clarify that this is not Quasi Classes. It's a similar idea, and that's why I included the copyright of that supplement in the license section, but the work is not directly based on it.

Second, I don't know if there's already something like this. I could not find it, so I decided to make it. If It already exists, please tell me :lol:

Okay, now to the supplemet itself. The basic idea is, using the 4 basic classes from the core book, "buy" abilities at the expence of adding some percentage to the advancement of levels. These abilities are created by the players and the GM, so this can make a very versatile tool (also, it can completely breake the game, and make character creation a lot slower. Yay!).

I made the file from the idea, so yeah, it hasn't been playtested at all. This is the first time I make a supplemen, so if I made a mistake or something, please let me know, specially with the licence, I've never work with something like that before (I've used licences before, but dunno, this seems more serious).

So yeah. Let me know what you think about the idea and the supplement itself. If you have any recomendations about the numbers and so, I wouls apreciate a lot your suggestions.

Thanks in advance :D
Attachments
BF-Class-Customisation-Supplement-r1.odt
(24.95 KiB) Downloaded 448 times
Last edited by Zironid on Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be.
- Karen Ravn
mTeasdale

Re: Supplement: Class Customisation

Post by mTeasdale »

I always liked the idea of class customization, but the balance seems hard to find with such things. I will definitely give a look at it tomorrow and give you my comments !
Zironid

Post by Zironid »

mTeasdale wrote:I always liked the idea of class customization, but the balance seems hard to find with such things. I will definitely give a look at it tomorrow and give you my comments !
Thanks mTeasdale!

I forgot to say that the percentages of the categories are made up, and I haven't really thought about them, but they seemed relativey... Fair? :lol:

Something else that I wanted to ask is that I noticed that the Titles use a different font, but I could not find which. Which is the name of the font?mI would like to use it to give the file the standard look. Thanks.
Only as high as I reach can I grow, only as far as I seek can I go, only as deep as I look can I see, only as much as I dream can I be.
- Karen Ravn
Mint

Post by Mint »

And Mint makes her entrance with her habitual: pdf please

thanks
Zironid

Post by Zironid »

Mint wrote:And Mint makes her entrance with her habitual: pdf please

thanks
Here you go :)
Attachments
BF-Class-Customisation-Supplement-r1.pdf
(58.71 KiB) Downloaded 443 times
- Karen Ravn
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Some suggestions:

Change the % values to flat XP, as to avoid the same issue that the QC had before the change.

Put the Prime Requisite Minimum as a side optional rule, name it Minimum Ability Score as Prime Abilities are not part of BFRPG, make the min scores 12-14-16-18.

Move the Max Abilities per Categories as another option.

Abilities should be called Special Abilities or have their own name to avoid confusion.

The idea of this supplement is to grab a class and then customize it, but your example is the way around, first you thing the class you want and then try to roll it and add the perks.

Also, give a list of special abilities per categories and abilities.

The special abilities should be left to the creation of the GM or the ones provided by the supplement.

Finally, the example of the adding of special abilities needs more details as to provide a guide to how powerful a special ability is and how it works, you only give the example of the +1 to attack, I suppose the alertness is a one point reduction on his chances of being surprised, which to me is at most a moderate special ability under the Wisdom ability and the arrow catching special ability is as powerful as it works in play, so an example of its mechanism is needed to reflect the power level given by the GM.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/
Zironid

Post by Zironid »

Dimirag wrote:Some suggestions:

Change the % values to flat XP, as to avoid the same issue that the QC had before the change.
I like the idea. So, to come up with some numbers, I got the average of the XP needed for the 4 classes to advance to level 2, rounded to 1800. Using the percentages of the supplement as is right now, the categories will cost:

Normal: +90 XP
Moderate: +180 XP
Medium: +270 XP
Powerful: +360 XP
Very Powerful: +450 XP
Dimirag wrote:Put the Prime Requisite Minimum as a side optional rule, name it Minimum Ability Score as Prime Abilities are not part of BFRPG, make the min scores 12-14-16-18.

Move the Max Abilities per Categories as another option.
The Prime Requisite was removed? Oh, crap, my copy is already outdated :lol: . This would make that each Special Ability must depend on an Ability Score selected by the GM, which makes more sense (in the example, the Special Ability of catching projectiles would be based on Strenght, as that was the prime requisite for fighters). Also, using various ability scores would make the categories more complex, so your numbers seems better than the ones I have.

Again, I like the idea of making both optional.
Dimirag wrote:Abilities should be called Special Abilities or have their own name to avoid confusion.

The idea of this supplement is to grab a class and then customize it, but your example is the way around, first you thing the class you want and then try to roll it and add the perks.
Oh, haven't noticed that.
Dimirag wrote:Also, give a list of special abilities per categories and abilities.

The special abilities should be left to the creation of the GM or the ones provided by the supplement.
About this, it would be good to put some examples and the categories they belong to, but I don't want to make this as a "skill point-buying" system, I would prefer that the GM or the player with his/her GM aproval would make the abilities themselves.

Dimirag wrote:Finally, the example of the adding of special abilities needs more details as to provide a guide to how powerful a special ability is and how it works, you only give the example of the +1 to attack, I suppose the alertness is a one point reduction on his chances of being surprised, which to me is at most a moderate special ability under the Wisdom ability and the arrow catching special ability is as powerful as it works in play, so an example of its mechanism is needed to reflect the power level given by the GM.
Roger that.

Thank's for all the advice :) .
- Karen Ravn
Dimirag

Post by Dimirag »

Zironid wrote: I like the idea. So, to come up with some numbers, I got the average of the XP needed for the 4 classes to advance to level 2, rounded to 1800. Using the percentages of the supplement as is right now, the categories will cost:

Normal: +90 XP
Moderate: +180 XP
Medium: +270 XP
Powerful: +360 XP
Very Powerful: +450 XP
Those values looks ok to me, how about rounding them? It makes math a little easier:
Normal: +100 XP
Moderate: +200 XP
Medium: +250 XP
Powerful: +350 XP
Very Powerful: +450XP
Zironid wrote:The Prime Requisite was removed? Oh, crap, my copy is already outdated :lol:
The classes still use a Minimum Ability Score, but the term "Prime Ability" it is not to much of a BFRPG thing.

As for the example, instead of giving a predefined special ability just give some example, something like
Normal Special Abilities:
+1 to hit.
10% skill use.

Moderate Special Abilities:
+1 to hit at levels 1 and 9.
10% sill use with +2& per level.
20% skill use.

I don't mind having predefined special abilities as it would help GMs and players whom have difficulties with coming these kind of things.
Zironid wrote:Thank's for all the advice :) .
Your welcome.
Sorry for any misspelling or writing error, I am not a native English speaker
Drawing portfolio: https://www.instagram.com/m.serena_dimirag/